AQ HDC3 15

Silver Member
Username: Ericmb

Waycross, Georgia United States

Post Number: 327
was thinking about picking up an HDC3 15 with some extra money i have. just wanted to ask a few questions about it first. ive owned a 12 and it had really good output, but i struggled finding low notes with it, even in a 34hz tuned box.. it would bottom out soo bad so i ended up getting rid of it. with the 15 even having a high tuning frequency, would i still maybe struggle with the lows? the box is gonna be tuned around 30-32hz, not sure yet. but if it isnt gonna hit the lows like i'd want it to, i might just go with an FI Q.. any opinions? suggestions? anything would be appreciated. thanks..

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1639
what was powering it and what was the cubic feet of the box? Also what was you subsonic feq set to? I have a couple 15 hdc3's and they really move well but i have never had them bottom out. It seems to me you have something wrong if its not hitting lows very well.

What is you main goal here. If you are looking for sq you may want to give the Q a try.

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 300
if your looking for the deep lows the aq will do it, but its mainly an spl sub meant to hit higher notes. but still don't take that as that it won't hit lows because it will very easily.
if the low lows are your main concern you may want an sq driver like the fi q, those are meant to drop low and play those notes very very well.
you could also look into audiopulse/tc sounds or an re xxx but that is more money..
if 320 or so if your budget, you may as well stick with the q.
tho if you want to be crazy loud and still have decent output the aq will do it, especially in a box tuned that low, your looking at a major improvement with the tuning and a larger driver already. so the aq just might suit you well

Silver Member

Post Number: 328
well i had a 12, not a 15. and i had it in 2 different boxes.. the first was tuned high(around 37hz) kinda figured itd do it in that one. then i had one in a 34Hz box and it still did it. was on an AQ1200 and was seeing maaybe around 800watts. i really like lows, but i want there to be a great amount of output also. and the box ill have it in will be probably around 4cu ft tuned somewhere between 30-32hz. my subsonic was set to maybe 30hz? idr. that was a terribly long time ago.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 889
If you put that 15 in a large ported enclosure, tuned low like you're talking about, you'll have no problem hitting the lows. What 12" sub did you have?

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 14327
the q would be my suggestion out of the two

Silver Member

Post Number: 329
i had a 12" HDC3.. and sean, you think the Q would plain out outperform the HD? i know they are 2 different kinda subs but im just looking for the one thats gonna smash the lows while still giving me the output im looking for.

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1167
xcon
rl-p

two great subs that would probably fit the bill for what you are looking for. just depends on what you are going to be powering it with.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

MW2 Addict

Post Number: 3147
no way the Q will get louder but it will play lower. i have my HDC3 15" in a 4.3cf @ 38hz enclosure and it plays lows just fine. my previous setup to that was an 18" Q.

Silver Member

Post Number: 301
it sounds like you really want to have clean sounding bass more than just pounding as loud as possible bass. I would say go with the q then. Or check out another sq driver. kyle recommended the ssa xcon and the sound splinter rl-p.
i have heard great things about both being better than a q, but they also cost more. i myself am getting an xcon 18 but just waiting for it in the mail so i can't give any opinions yet.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14337
you can always wait till he has it for review....gives you more time to save too

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 891
I'm curious to see how you like your Xcon. Looks like a pretty impressive woofer. What amp and enclosure do you have planned for it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 302
thats what im hoping, i was wanting a good sq sub.
im working on the box at the moment, a few more hours and ill be finished, will post pics as well, since the whole box is in a black laquer finish and the port is white laquer finish.
box is like 5.75 cu ft after sub and port displacement tuned to 33 hz, 15 sq in of port per cu ft
amp is sundown sae-1200d v2 will be ran at 1 ohm, hopefully push 1500 or so to it, maybe more depending on voltage.
thinking of competing a few times to see how i do locally
i just wanted a good sq driver knowing it can still sound good in a ported box, and i figure i still want to be crazy loud and a sq woofer can still do that, with the small amount of power i have i dont see any other sub being really that much louder than this one

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2448
the HDC3 is not an spl sub... it is made to be all around loud and musical. ... the Q will sound better and depending on the box it will play the lows better. the HDC3 will handle more power and get louder.. the Q is not all around better. it is better for SQ. but i think the HDC3 is better for the price

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14372
id agree with that

Silver Member

Post Number: 330
well put dblk.. i think ive made my decision. just gotta do a little planning.. and thanks all other guys who replied..

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 432
i just got an ht pro blackout 15" 1500 rms today, ill be poweeing it with 1200 watts in a 4.0 @ 35, ill let yall know how it does. just waiting for box to be done, but for 190 shipped looks pretty mean

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14493
what did you decide?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us