Amp clipping?

Gold Member
Username: Theweasel

2 12 FI SSD, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 1248
I just hooked up my new subs to my soundstream amp which I had running had 1 ohm, but now it is at 2 ohms. It was playing ok for a while, little quiet but sounded good, then it cut out and now it just makes this constant thumping sound going in and out of protect mode immediately. It still does it when no rcas or speakers are hooked up. Thinking I might have fried the amp, but have no idea why? Any suggestions?}

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2225
check the connections, fuses, etc

Gold Member

Post Number: 1249
Amp doesn't have external fuses and id like to avoid taking it apart if I can help it. Battery fuse is good, power and ground good. Maybe a loose speaker connection in the speaker box? But it seems like it wouldn't go to protect when the speakers aren't plugged in

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 381
i hear soundstream amps are low quality..?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1250
Its worked for 3 years without a single problem until this. So I has to be something with the new install

Bronze Member
Username: M_kimmel843

Post Number: 87
I know this wouldn't make much sense since you said you haven't had any problem for 3 years but maybe your ground has just became a little loose? It's always worth checking, just a thought.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1251
ground seems to be fine, must be a problem with the power supply of the amp. is that a repairable fix? or is it toast

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
I'm sure it is repairable but probably not worth the money or time. I had an amp that fried on me due to "over current" and it did pretty much the same thing yours is doing but only mine didn't make a thumping noise...the protect light just kept blinking on and off. Do you have any friends who would let you use their amp to test and make sure it is your amp and not something else?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1252
Well I have other amps, but I'm nervous to try them in case something else is messed up in my electrical I don't wanna fry another one

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
I understand but, no risk = no reward. I wouldn't imagine that just by hooking the positive, negative, and remote wire to the amp would damage it. I mean all you need to do is see if the different amp turns on without going to protect.

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1634
I wouldn't call soundstream amps low quality. I assure you theres much worse.

Silver Member
Username: Quirky

San Antonio, Texas

Post Number: 425
Hope you did't touch the positive to the amp without it grounded first. I've seen several amps ruined this way.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 14298
"i hear soundstream amps are low quality..?"

They are.... the old soundstream was VERY good back in the day...but not anymore

Gold Member

Post Number: 1253
Nah didn't unhook the ground or b+ wire anytime. Just the speaker outputs. Guess I'll retire this amp and start shopping for a new one
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us