Alt question

Bronze Member
Username: Hjbomega

Post Number: 40
Ok, i recently got a new alt, not h/o or anything but i have a 1500 watt rms amp, a 320 watt rms amp....and when at full tilt( for my listening) my voltage does not drop below 13.....now i have a a kinetic 600 in the back, big three 8 guage......i dont think iv done anything amazing, but it seems that my voltage is perfectly fine......... is it true that i should only get a h/o/ alt if my voltage drops below 12.

Silver Member
Username: Boston_spl

Highland, CA United States

Post Number: 195
Doing the "big three" with 8ga. wire is pretty pointless. As most vehicles I've seen use at least 6ga. for the stock "big three" wiring.

Just thought you might like to know.

As for your question, if I were running over 1800w rms, I would look into upgrading my alt.

Bronze Member
Username: Hjbomega

Post Number: 41
but i thought that shoulkd be done , if ur voltages we DROPPING below twelve, i average 13.6 while playing, so what would be the point.....and i didnt do the wire, thats just the wire thats there now

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 882
As long as you're staying above 12 volts you're ok. Even if you got a HO alt you would still probably stay around the voltage you're at now. All the HO alt will do is have a better chance of keeping the voltage stable under higher current draws, from larger amps. What the voltage sits at is going to depend on the voltage regualtor and if you have any additional batteries. Using 1/0 gauge for the big 3 would help keep voltage up, larger gauge means less resistance. A solid ground to the frame for the amps helps as well.

Silver Member
Username: Boston_spl

Highland, CA United States

Post Number: 196
Oh, ok. Usually when someone writes "big three" after a list of upgrades it implies that they've done the big three, not that it's stock.

What type of vehicle do you have?

What is the amperage of your new alt.?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us