Box Build for Zeke

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5639
Hey Everyone, this enclosure is for Zeke's 2 AQ SD2.5's. Box is 4.5 cubes @ 35hz with around 15 sq inch. per cube. Will have charcoal carpet. Enjoy the pics!

Note to Ecoustics members:

Starting this week (this enclosure) I will be using 3/4" Trupan light MDF on ALL of my enclosures, this will not only get you as the customer a better price because it weights 60% less than regular MDF and also give you a much lighter enclosure for your car. Shipping for enclosures will be extremely cheap due to the weight and since Ecoustics is where my real home is, I will be giving all Ecoustics members who want a custom enclosure (I design and build) 10% off of the original price. This paired with the fact that shipping is cheaper will yield an extremely great price for an enclosure. My email is DLaudiotech@gmail.com Thanks!

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 282
i heard that if so your port is 6 inches wide then the length of the port should also be 6 inches from the back of the box and thats where you would start the L shape for the port
is that right?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5640
Yes it is cwruck. If your port is 6" wide, it should be 6" wide throughout the port.

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 611
no 13 ply birch ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5641
I could use either, since i'v worked with both, I like working with the trupan better... cut's and routs alot better...

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 612
i want to see some nice stained boxes some time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 287
im going to do a black laquer finish on my box for my 18. and ill do white laquer for the port.
the sub will be an 18" ssa xcon by the way, decided it will fit my needs better than an Fi Q which still would've been great.
maybe ill get one for a home stereo build in the future, or i will build a sub myself just for experience and fun

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 614
keep us in the loop cwruck, and i am having to redo ~60% of my car new high and mid amp, new power wire trying to make an amp try... we will see how that goes. putting in the new FI Q and the box bassman3 (dustin) made for me.

sorry for the thread jack. still excited to see how this turns out.

Silver Member

Post Number: 288
will definitely post lots of pics, hopefully turns out nice, people at home depot were saying a quart of paint is enough to cover the box, like a quart of primer and paint mixed and then a quart of laquer, but i dont know if it will.. if the box were sealed it would be like 6.75 cu ft or so..
sorry to thread jack as well

Gold Member

Post Number: 5642
Death ~ Sometime I would like to get my hands on some nice white birch or the 100's of other stainable woods and give it a go I might do that to the box for my IDmax.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 615
i am still waiting on your IDmax to get a box its been like 3 mounths.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5643
It's been like 1.5 months haha. It will soon have a home..

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 616
it dam well better, the poor thing. and i want to see what an IDmax can do, i have heard good things but not seen any thing that great.

Silver Member
Username: Boston_spl

Highland, CA United States

Post Number: 177
Looks great, as always. Just finished a box myself (5 cu.ft @ 31Hz w/ Precision Port).
Looking forward to more pics.

Bronze Member
Username: M_kimmel843

Post Number: 80
I'm shooting you an email now Bassman3.

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 445
Looks good,as always man! Mines still holding up good! Though,my little brother had his way with my 1515!(long story)

Gold Member

Post Number: 5644
Thanks fellas.

Email replied Matt...

Sean ~ that's a bummer... what happened?

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 447
I just let him use my car for a couple days and he abused the hell out of it! Looking back,maybe i should have just taken the fuse out or something. Idk,live an learn i guess.
Sorry Zeke for jacking your thread but i need to ask you this Dustin. What do you think would sound better in that box an Fi Q or a ssa icon? Kinda thought about an hdc too but im not sure. Thoughts? Sorry again guys

Gold Member

Post Number: 5645
I think the HDC3 would get the loudest, spl wise, but all 3 of those would work in your enclosure... What were the specs on the enclosure again? I don't want to look back in the emails haha.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22957
Nice so far. I see business cards and possibly custom tee-shirts in your future?

At least an original logo perhaps?

If you buy in bulk you can get them for only $5 each. I placed my order through Vista-Print. A free Tee with every box would really look professional.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5646
Yeah Paul, once my website gets up in a couple weeks I will work soemthing out as far as customers getting a t-shirt or something per enclosure. I have a logo too all ready.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22963
Oooooo. A preview perhaps?

Silver Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 229
x2^ 4 sure

Gold Member

Post Number: 5647
Here is the logo: Sorry if some of it is cut off...

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 5648
website is www.DLdesignz.com (in progress)

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8104
Zeke?
Hummm....

Weren't you on E back when I was selling boxes online?
And didn't you have an RE XXX12 back then?

Silver Member
Username: Tiki89

Post Number: 383
using a z is ghetto

Silver Member

Post Number: 183

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22965
I love treo's input. He's like an unpaid distant opinion.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 619
it had to be spelled that way, every thing else that he liked was taken.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5649
^^ Yep, and in the world of car audio, i think the "Z" is perfectly appropriate because it adds a little fling to the name. Any other business where professionalism is important, i don't think the Z would have been appropriate.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 620
and who wants to deal with corporate?

Silver Member

Post Number: 188
Agreed. (Dustin)

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 450
4cuft/35hz Thats what i figured,but Im not so sure i want LOUD anymore. I think im gonna go with a Q. Just not sure if its going to sound ok in that size box. Dont they like smaller boxes?

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 451
Btw,digging the logo man. And i better get a T-shirt too dam it! lol j/p

Gold Member

Post Number: 5650
They like smaller'ish enclosures yes. But I think it should do perfectly fine and it will give you some nice lows...

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16401
box looking good so far

have u ever tried trupan ULTRA light ...man its so much lighter but on the down side u might have to secure ur box to the floor of ur ride since it may dance around when the sub is playing - it seems to be still as strong as reg mdf though

i myself am not too keen on the ghetto "z" , maybe u cud add enclosure to the name as well - something like dlenclosuredesigns.com or dlsubboxes.com ....

Gold Member

Post Number: 5651
I guess everyone has different opinions, I already have the website domain set as that address, I really do not think that by having a "z" is automatically makes the name ghetto lol But that's just my opinion

And I forgot to state Rovin, that the wood IS ultra light...

Gold Member

Post Number: 5652
and like I said before, If it was a business where professionalism is important, like if I were to be selling my own line of speakers, I would have done something different with the name. But it's just enclosures, oh and all sizes of tint/shades of pre-cut plexiglass too! :D

Gold Member

Post Number: 5653
Now just to carpet...

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Mittens08

Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post Number: 96
looks soooo nice...im thinkin im gonna have to shoot you an email bassman i wanna get a box built for 2 12inch fi bls or btls for a 05 saturn ion

Gold Member

Post Number: 5654
Thanks Carl. Email is:

DLaudiotech@gmail.com

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 621
looking good. i want to see this box in action.

Silver Member

Post Number: 235
i like the logo dustin, and i think the "Z" is just fine like you said. also im curious about the new mdf. what's it cost compared to reg. mdf?

and that box is looking god man, cant wait till i get sum extra cash and have you build me a box

looks great as always.

Bronze Member
Username: Itatum

Post Number: 54
hey bassman, looks great cant wait to put my subs in.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5657
Thanks everyone.

Steve ~ This MDF costs about $13 more but I don't charge anything extra. Regular MDF around here is $31 and the trupan ultra is $43.67 per sheet.

Silver Member

Post Number: 238
ohh ok, yeah mdf is $32 here. so that's not bad at all if it's %60 lighter!! that's the worst part, it's so damn heavy...and the dust is so fine it gets every ware.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 14277
looking good as usual

Silver Member
Username: Quirky

San Antonio, Texas

Post Number: 422
I would not think 'ultra light' is necessarily a good thing when it comes to resonance. Ideally, you want as much density as possible. Think about how sound deadener works.

That being said, I doubt the difference between 'ultra light' MDF and regular MDF is very noticeable to an observer. Would the difference it show up on a decibel meeter- most likely it would. Would you be able to perceive the difference- most likely not (our difference threshold at high decibels is poor).

I would be curious if anyone has every compared the two MDF's side by side before with a meeter?

The box looks well built- keep up the good work.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14288
we havent but i can tell you most would only be able to hear a difference starting at 1 db and its audibly a small difference to the ear

Silver Member

San Antonio, Texas

Post Number: 423
I agree that the difference of one decibel would not be audible to the ear. Though I think 1 decibel is an arbitrary number in this case. If I'm not mistaken a 1 decibel increase at 160 decibels is a much greater amount of pressure difference than a 1 decibel increase at 40 decibels.

If you were in a competition for SPL, that one decibel gain may be a lot more valuable.

All this may go to say- I would not use 'ultra light' MDF for a competition set up though for a daily driver as far as I can tell it would not hurt.

Silver Member

San Antonio, Texas

Post Number: 424
I hope I don't cause anyone to think twice about using bassman's service. We need more box builders like bassman who are willing to put quality into their products.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14296
I agree 100%

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14297
with both posts

Gold Member

Post Number: 5658
It's completely fine Ben. Talking about this subject is perfectly fine. The main reason why trupan is lighter is due to the fact that because they remove everything but the actual wood particles, and they are very fine so they fit together better in the long run, equaling a much lighter product. I have worked with both (MDF and UL) yes, the UL is (from some spec sheets i'v read) is around 10% less dense than reg mdf, which would not be noticeable to the ear. Like Sean said, maybe 1db difference between the enclosures if it were on a TL, which is why If the customer is competing and wants an all out SPL burp box, I build it out of MDF or as per requested.

And mass and resonance is not too big of a deal when it comes to enclosures because everything has a resonance frequency, and the main goal is to build an enclosure with a resonance freq. outside the freq. range that the speakers (in the box) will be playing at. By having an enclosure that is extremely heavy, you lower the resonance freq. and to raise the resonance freq. you make the box more strong (structurally). And for us, in car audio, we like to brace enclosures, and do everything we can do make the box "more rigid" therefor raising the resonance frequency that the subs can play at. Saying that, this is why I brace ALL of my enclosures in some way or another, to make the box more rigid which is what we as car audio enthusiasts do to our enclosures. And by adding bracing, we are essentially adding density to the enclosure and decreasing the resonance.

Getting away from the technical aspect, I do think there would be a slight db difference if you were to get it on a TL, but NOT to the ear. I built an enclosure for a local customer last week who competes and cares about his spl numbers, I build the box out of MDF for him. So for me and for the customers, the main advantage is the weight, which equals a better overall price for you guys. But it is important to note that there won't be any audible different between boxes build from MDF or UL, especially since I brace my enclosures very very well.

Just to share my thoughts with you guys Thanks for all the comments!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5659
And as most of you know, this is also what BJ Fisher used on all of his enclosures for years and years with not complaints at all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5660
I also get Baltic Birch for around the same price, so if you request that, I can use that on your enclosure for no extra cost as well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5661
Scratch that last comment, found out the baltic birch is $90 a sheet.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 631
ouch on that pricing.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5662
Yea, which is why alot of people don't use it I guess haha.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 457
Roughly, how much would a medium sized box cost made with that birch then? Just curious

Gold Member

Post Number: 5663
At $90 a sheet? around 2x the price than what i would normally charge realistically.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 633
~285 shipped?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5664
depening on how big the enclosure is. For 2.0 cubes it would be around $270 + shipping

Gold Member

Post Number: 5665
depending on how big the enclosure is. For 2.0 cubes it would be around $270 + shipping

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Baltimore Atlantic Ci..., MD, NJ

Post Number: 951
nice so far

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14347
sean just so you know birch was tested by a very knowledgeable box builder (mark potts) and he noticed no benefit to using birch over mdf

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 463
Yeah,i was just curious about it. Dont seem like to many people use it. Thanks for the heads up though sean

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14422
your welcome

Gold Member

Post Number: 5673
Box is done. Just didn't get a chance to take pictures because I was out of the shop all day. I will FOR SURE snap some tomorrow for you guys.

Also wanted to let all you Ecoustics members know that I will also be offering kerfed ports for just $20 more than a regular slot port. I am doing one on another enclosure this week so I will take some pictures for you all.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14471
nice kerfed ports

Gold Member

Post Number: 5674
Yup, they are fun to do lol

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 706
as long as you don't cut to far.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5675
When you have the right tools, it makes it alot easier.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5676
Here are the final pictures. Enjoy

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 270
turned out very nice man, once again.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 910
That's going to look so good when the subs are mounted into it. Whomever's box this is needs to post install pics and video

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 714
^x2

Gold Member

Post Number: 5677
Thanks! and yea, hopefully Zeke will comment and get a vid and some pictures of this thing!

Gold Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 1174
what can i say about your builds that has not already been said..?

awesome as always

Bronze Member
Username: Itatum

Post Number: 55
looks great, i will be sure to send pics. I just put an order in for the subs they sould be here soon

Gold Member

Post Number: 5678
i'll post a picture of it packaged as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us