Camaro Setup Help

Username: Ezcam2010

Post Number: 1
Hi, I have a 2010 Camaro with the "premium" boston acoustics system from the factory installed. I'm looking to upgrade starting with a sub / box / amp. I picked up a Treo RSX 1600 amp:
http://www.treoonline.com/rsx_amps.html running at 1 ohm
Treo RSX 10" Sub: http://www.treoonline.com/rsx.html and a Pro Box enclosure: http://www.proboxrocks.com/products/unloaded/turbobass/110TB/index.shtml.
I have had some guys saying these are good components, others saying "not so good." My questions are: 1. Does anyone have any experience using an enclosure that fits over the wheel well and fits into the side? 2. Do I want sealed / ported? (I like club music and rock. hip hop, not so much but occasionally I do listen to it). 3. If I dont mind the hassle, should I go ahead and sell all / part of this set up and get something else? I was thinking about JBL, but I really really don't know much about car audio. the Gti series is what i was thinking. 4. I want something that looks and sounds good. I don't want to be the hardest hitting / or anything. But, if I go to a show with some friends, I want it to be respectable. The probox kinda looks lame in my car!
5. if anyone has experience or pics / with the 2010 camaro let me know.
6. I want a solid set up that I can build upon later as I go. thinking about letting this guy make a 10 box for each side in the trunk. Do I keep the treo? Or replace, etc cause I will at least need 1 more sub.....

Bronze Member
Username: M_kimmel843

Post Number: 69
I would say keep the Treo and add another one. If you like club and rock music I'd go ported. Sealed wouldn't be bad either but sealed gives off more of a flat response so, I think you'd be happier with a ported enclosure since club music and stuff of that nature have a bunch of swings in frequencies. Also, I would take the time and find someone who can build you a box instead of using a prefab. enclosure such as the Probox you have now. On Treo's website it says that for a small ported enclosure the RSX 10's are recommended 1ft^3 of net internal volume. If you're not looking for something that will beat your car apart I'd stay around their recommended numbers. So, yeah if you can find someone to build you custom boxes that mesh well with the side of your trunk I say go for it. Just don't forget to have that person build you a nice little amp rack because you don't want to have a bunch of unwanted wires showing if you're thinking about going to car shows and the such.

Silver Member
Username: Boston_spl

Highland, CA United States

Post Number: 192
Agreed. I've heard nothing but good things about Treo subs. Don't know about their amps though. I wouldn't waste your time with JBL subs, you can get better for the $.

And yes, get (or make yourself) a custom sub enclosure.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
Their amps are alright, nothing great but not by any means bad. Also, since you've already got one it will do just fine with the woofers you have.

Post Number: 2
Alright, I've got someone making me 2 10" enclosures to go in the trunk (one on either side) with a amp rack in the center, close to the back of the back seat. I'm almost certainly gonna get new subs, and in fact will probably sell the probox with the 1 treo sub online.
1. Does anyone know / work with Planet Audio, Swiss Audio or C-4 (not sure if thats the correct name - from CA)
2. I need opinions on sealed vs ported enclosure - camaro, small trunk... I dont want a lot of rattle, not sure if it makes a diff... main thing I want is good quality sound, not so concerned about the boom - but yeah boom is nice
3. That treo amp, I wonder if its gonna work with 2 10"'s.

Guys, I'm just looking for a little education cause I know I'm a noob, so thanks in advance for the help! I'll put up a pic of the enclosure in a few days...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
I've had experience with Planet Audio's Big Bang line of woofers. They were alright, a good bang for your buck woofer In my opinion but, way to big of a sub to be putting in your setup. I haven't heard any of their lower end, more entry level stuff. Swiss Audio, hell I didn't even know they were around anymore so I don't really have any opinions on them. Why are you so certain your getting rid of the Treo sub? That sub would be great pair with another one and the Treo amp you have. Yes, the treo amp will do fine with 2 10's. That Treo amp puts out 600 watts @ 1 ohm so just run it parallel to a pair of those Treo subs and it will be fine. In my opinion there is no point in selling a decent sub and buying two new ones when the sub you got now is just fine. If you have the room I would personally port or vent the boxes, this will give you more diversity in sounds because ported enclosures will play more frequencies as opposed to the flat response of a sealed box. However, if room is an issue sealed boxes will do just fine. Well whatever you decide to do just keep us informed. Any more questions just ask man!

Post Number: 3
The situation with the Treo is just basically that I had someone tell me that they weren't that good. I just figured that I'd get something nicer put in while I'm getting the boxes made. The guy making the boxes said he'd get me something new if I wanted it, at wholesale pricing. This is why I was going to sell the stuff I had. I can't get the extra Treo sub through him, I could go back to the original place I bought from the first time, but I've had problems with the way they set up the electrical / power and I've had to go back 2 times and need a third. I guess they cant get the power on / off set up right so that the amp doesn't stay on when its not supposed to be.

Silver Member
Username: Quirky

San Antonio, Texas

Post Number: 417
First off, porting a box will not give you more frequencies. Sry Matt but that is far from the truth.

A sealed box will actually keep more frequencies audible and responsive if anything. A ported box will boost specific lower frequencies (sometimes around 20%) and drop other frequencies lower. Sound quality wise, a sealed box will benefit you, however a lot of guys cant tell much of a difference and would prefer a louder set up sacrificing the response/sound quality.

If you don't care for the "extreme base" and just looking for an all around good sounding system, it wont hurt to go sealed and save you some space. That is of course if you can sacrifice the boost in decibels to begin with- you need a decent sub- i would not go with planet audio.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 14278
x2

Silver Member
Username: Boston_spl

Highland, CA United States

Post Number: 200
x3

Silver Member
Username: Quirky

San Antonio, Texas

Post Number: 419
btw if the place cant get your amp to turn off when it should I would not recommend going back there. That should be an easy fix and a indicator they may not know what they are doing.

Your box builder sounds like he just wants to make some money off you by selling you crummy subs at "wholesale pricing". I can't vouch for Treo but I also have not heard anything negative about them. Keep in mind most audio stores/retailers will not say good things about brands they don't sell nor are many knowledgeable about anything outside their product lines.

If you are going to sell the Treo, are you set on two 10's? I don't know how much space you have to work with/sacrifice and there is nothing wrong with two 10"s but you should also keep in consideration one quality 12" sub may also be a good answer.

Look around ecoustics to see a good amount of recommended brands out there all available online.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
Okay, thanks for the information Ben Quirk. Never hurts to learn something new every day. So, to ezcam2010...my bad on the box advise. I'm still set on everything else though, in my opinion just keep the Treo and add another one or like Ben said maybe go with one 12.

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Baltimore Atlantic Ci..., MD, NJ

Post Number: 950
sounds good 2 me
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us