Dc level 3 or fi ssd?

Silver Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 395
I want to get some new subs. Not that my orions arent loud but i just want to try something new. For awhile ive been waiting on incriminator audio because i really wanted lethal injections but theyve been out of stock going on 2 months now and im running out of patience. And id like to see some t/s specs on them but cant get them anywhere. So ive started looking at other options. FI ssds and dc level 3s are what ive narrowed it down to.

I want to go with 2 12s because i have a small trunk. I have a sundown sae1200 v2 for power. Whatever option i go with ill build the smallest possible enclosure but still in recommendations( so 3 cu ft after disp. tuned 30-35 hz for the lvl 3s or 3.6 cu ft tuned to 33hz for the ssds) . i dont plan to compete. i want a daily ground pounding system that will get loud and maintain some sound quality in doing so. i know either option will be capable of that and its all install dependent. but i have zero experiance with any company outside of mainstream besides rd and that wasnt a good one. so basically im just lookin for input and opinions from ppl who have experience/heard my listed choices

also i was kinda considering an ssa xcon 15. i could fit it in say a 3-3.5 cu box. but i think id lose alot of output due to less cone area alone. how would it compare to the other 2 choices i listed

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 256
dude either is a good choice! i think the dc's will sound cleaner and im assuming you have a stock electrical? so both subs will be just about the same loudness, maybe the Fi's will get louder, but not by much
stick with 12's more cone area is going to be louder, but if money is an issue a single 15 would be the way to go
if you want the dc's i suggest talking to rusty and getting him to match the prices of fi ssd's, since i think they are a little more money..

Silver Member

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 396
o yea i have a 200a alt, big 3 in 0 gauge, and a kinetik hc1400 in the trunk. the ssa xcon 15 is in the same price range 389. the dcs will be 358 shipped straight from rusty and the ssds stock would be 410 shipped.

its a tough decision. space is kind of an issue as id like to be able to access the spare if i have to. if i kept the width say 37" and height the same say 15" how much deeper will the box have to be for the ssds? i plan to use double baffle for either.

Silver Member

Post Number: 257
oh well since you have electrical just go big and do like 3000 watts rms!
but i say go with the dc's then, thats a good deal for a pair.
if you use 15" high and 37" wide i say you dont need no more than 16 inchs for depth to get you around 3 to 3.5 cu ft

Silver Member

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 398
i dont want nor need 3000 rms. im happy with the 1500 rms i have unless you wanna buy it for me id just like to go with some better, preferably u.s. made subs.

n the box i have my orions in is 37w x 15h x 16d, after all displacement its 3 cu ft and its only single baffle so for it to be double baffle and .6 cu ft itd have to be bigger then it is now. im just not sure how much deeper. if i go with the dcs ill probably use my current box(3 cu ft tuned to 36 hz) temporarily while i build a new one thats tuned lower and double baffle.

Silver Member

Post Number: 262
i find that if you change the width a little like 32 to 34 inches and have the box deeper, say around 19 to 20 i get better low end bass, not sure why but thats just in my experience.
go with the dc's rusty has been doing great lately, my friend just got his lv 5 18 and it is pure perfection
i just might have to get myself a lv 4 18 if he can maybe throw in some different spiders or something for better sq

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3804
I'd go with the DC's just because I don't think the stock SSD is worth $50 more bucks. Cant really go wrong either way.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 14260
ive heard the dc sound lab lvl 3 12 and it played clean and worked hard to stay that way this sub impressed me....as far as wanting extra slam dont be afraid to give them extra power they can take it

Silver Member

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 402
how about ssds? anyone heard them and can give some input on them?

im still stuck. here i was told go with the lvl 3 but on smd im being told the ssd will get louder and sound cleaner. i keep thinkin maybe i should just wait for the lis but then i think about it for awhile and want to get some now. very back and fourth. tough decision to drop 400 on somethin ive never heard

Silver Member
Username: Stubbs563

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 103
I have a SSD 15" and i love the sound quatlity im running it in around 4 cu ft and it gets loud and sounds pretty clean compared to some other systems i have heard, as for the sound quality wise i would stick with the stock copper coil.

Silver Member
Username: Jemone

Tucker, Georgia United States

Post Number: 343
How much do the level 4s go for? I live in Georgia (flea market capitol) and definitely can not find this stuff locally.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14279
call rusty i believe his number is on the website

Silver Member

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 408
@ Nolan wat r u using for an amp and wat options did u pick? Thank u for sharing ur experience and input

Silver Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 112
I am using a kicker zx1000.1 mono, and i got it fully loaded, As for the sound quality your looking for, if you stick with the copper coil, if i am not mistaken, they would be more geard toward SQ, but still have spl, but with the flatwind I believe my sub sounds great.

Silver Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 113
I am running it on a kicker zx1000.1 mono, I went with a fully loaded SSD, as for SQ though i have heard, but never experienced, that the copper coils would be geared more toward SQ, but with the flatwind it sounds great to me.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14368
you wouldnt have been disappointed with the dc level 3 either congrads my man

Silver Member

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 409
Still haven't made up my mind lol. I'm still lookin around at all the possibilities. Pretty much I don't know what I want. Still kinda pondering on the idea of a single 15.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us