12' jackhammers dont fit

Username: Ridetopdown

Atlanta, GA United States

Post Number: 9
i just got some 12' jackhammers to replace my older subs that die which were 12' alpines. i just got them out of the box and tryed to put them in the box and there is about 1/2 - 1 inch all around that is still raised not fitting snug with the box. I was wondering if mtx subs are normally a little bigger in sizing, or are they suppose to sit up like that. I really dont think that they are suppose to. Also any help with making them fit other than trying to make circle bigger.

thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11143
No its not supposed to be like that. Let me guess, cheap prefab box right. They make the cutout diameter fit the most common subs but then some don't fit.

I have run into that problem several times. The correct tool to use is a router but I have used a power drill with a grinding bit.. it sucks, takes a lot of effort but it can work.

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

SoCal

Post Number: 3161
Why not just buiid a new box?

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11146
Because not everyone has the tools and/or skill to build a box? If the box is the correct volume for the new subs then why not re-use it. Now if it's just a crappy ported prefab, then yea you need a new box.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8091
The MTX7500 and 8500 series subs have slightly larger cutouts thatn most subs. Also, Alpine subs have slightly smaller mount diameters than most subs.

So...if you have a custom box built for the Alpine and go to MTX, it is likely that they will not fit. You could just get a jigsaw and trim the baffle to make the MTX subs fit properly.

Username: Ridetopdown

Atlanta, GA United States

Post Number: 10
Ya thanks for the ideas. It took a few sheets of sand paper and about an hour of hard sanding, but i got them to fit. I would build a new box for myself, and it is something that i want to do in the future but like said, i currently dont feel i have the skills to build one. So for now they fit and are in the car and working great.

Silver Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 222
good to hear man, glad it worked out.

but in the future use a nice jig saw with a good wood blade. you can get one with a blade new for $20 at a tool sale.

then it only takes about 5 mins each sub. and is almost effortless..

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16391
was it some type R's ur replacing ? - give us a review on the mtx vs what u had b4 .....

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 374
yea... id like to see the difference review as well

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 854
If they were 12" subs they might fit. 12' is a little large
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums