Tuning flared ports

Gold Member
Username: Theweasel

2 12 FI SSD, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 1246
im curious on how to tune flared ports. i have a 15 cu ft enclosure before any displacement and want to use 3 6" flared ports. the program i found here http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31 says they should be about 16" for a tuning of 28hz. Does this program account for port displacement? and is the length from the end of the flare or the beginnings of each ends of the flare? any help would be much appreciated

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 252
i use the 12 volt to figure my tuning and this site
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/enclosure-volume-calculator/

to add in those numbers to figure the end displacement

i believe the legnths are of the total length of the piece, so i guess you would want to mount it flush with the box and have the piece in the box
sorry thats probably very confusing

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5630
Are you using PSP aero ports?

Silver Member
Username: Boston_spl

Highland, CA United States

Post Number: 168
If you're not (using Precision Ports) you should. I'm currently using one in a 5cu.ft. enclosure that I just built for my 15" and it's awesome & well built.

Also, their website has a port calculator that provides cut length's for both, with and without port flares attached.

Bronze Member
Username: Perfectcircle

IndyTC sounds 18...

Post Number: 52
I use precision ports. The short answer is the port with the flares on it should be 1 inch longer than your desired length. if you are wanting a 16" port, the assembled port with flares should be 17". the middle portion of the port is the straight tube. I believe it says cut it 5" shorter than you desired port length. The tube in my precision port kits is always 12" long. So if you want 16" cut 1" off of the middle tube to make it 11" then put the flares on it. That should be 16". Hope this helps. Also, if you need to buy precision ports, you can go to parts express. Thats where I buy mine. Never had a problem with them, and they ship super fast.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16392
iirc the way u check the port length of these aero ports is u measure the straight part of the assembled port & NOT from end to end of the total assembled length

when checking for the cuft displacement of these ports u do however measure it end to end & calculate (if its a 4" diameter tube) what a 4" length of it wud displace , the cuft displacement of the actual flared part will not displace much (might be like 0.00something) so dont wory about that fine detail ...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us