Any ideas what could be going on?

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 838
For some reason, every now and then, my subwoofer output goes down some. As if I had suddenly turned the gain down. If I increase the woofer output on the deck or turn up the remote bass, it solves the problem, then when things go back to normal, its too loud and I have to adjust things back down. It gets annoying at times. I'm thinking it could be one of 3 things. Either the sub pre-out on my HU is going bad, my RCA cables may be going bad or at worst the amp is messing up. The deck is this one here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500CDA9827/Alpine-CDA-9827.html?tp=5684

Its atleast 5 years old, so I wouldnt be upset if it was finally biting the dust. Is it common for pre-outs to go bad over time? Any thoughts on what you guys might think it is? Is there a way to check my pre-outs to see if that is the problem.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11123
My first guess would be a bad connection on one of the RCAs. That one of the four connectors has an intermittent bad connection. (2 connectors at the HU and 2 at the amp)

Make sure they are all tight and if not use a pliers on the outer rings (very carefully)

The next thing is to check the speaker wires, at the amp and box and inside the box. If you have 2 subs you may be losing one from a bad connection.

Very unlikely for something internal in the HU or amp to cause this problem.

Bronze Member
Username: M_kimmel843

Post Number: 57
Recently I've been having this same problem. I will be driving, listening to music at my normal volume when out of nowhere my sub output will get quieter. If I mess with my EQ settings on the HU the sub will get back to the point that it once was. Then, once again out of nowhere the output will become so loud to where I have to set my EQ settings back to their original positions. This is very annoying. So, like Shawn any help would be appreciated!

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 861
I'm going to check my RCA connections today as MS recommended. Ive got to do minor surgery on the dash of my car to get my HU out Its bolted into the housing.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 862
You were right on M.S. I pulled out my HU and just moving it I noticed a increase in output from my sub. The RCAs on the back didn't seem as tight as they could be. I squeezed the edges of them just a little to make it nice and snug when I put them back on the pre-outs. Seems good to go now. I may check my gain settings here soon to make sure I'm still sitting at the voltage I should be at. Thanks for the help.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11157
no problem man
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us