Polyfill

Silver Member
Username: Wfbass

Stephenville, NL Canada

Post Number: 143
anyone ever stuff there box with this stuff? i read something about it tricking ur sub into thinkin its in a bigger box or something.. suppose to use it when u dont have alot of room to work with or something. basicaly ive finaly come up with a box design to fit both sub's in my car but the cf^3 is just makin 3 after port and sub disp. oh 2 12" re mx btw. just wondering if i add a bunch of this will it do anything or is it just a waste of time? and another question before i even biuld the box...whats gonna be louder/sound better 1 12" mx in optimum box(well according to the specs on the site) or 2 of them in the box im gonna build. assuming both set-ups got about the same port area as well...

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13788
http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/polyfill.html

read and be enlightened.

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 201
this was a question i was going to ask you glasswolf. I have read basically every single one of your papers and i love the knowledge you give.
i myself am in the process of building a box for an 18" Fi Q the Q will have the cooling, p chamfer, and spider options and will be ran in a ported box.
i started the box last weekend and will finish it this saturday, im looking at around 5.75 cu ft after sub and port displacement tuned to approx 33-34 hz
not quite at Fi's recommendations but thats gonna have to work for me, i cant go any bigger on the box. now since i am below the lowest recommendation i plan on using polyfill to try to trick the sub in being in a larger enclosure.
I'm wondering is it ok to fill the entire box with polyfill? i mean like every inch of the box except for the port, will that give me the best results or should i not do so much?
also when sealing the box is caulk better or liquid nails? my friend says liquid nails works better for him and he has built some very nice boxes so i believe him with liquid nails being better.
everything is done on the box except for using a sealant, so i left the top piece off to do that and throw in polyfill.
i dont plan on pushing more than 1500 if that to the sub also, i also have 15 sq in of port area per cu ft if that helps

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13796
don't fill the box any more than 1/3 loosely with polyfill. more isn't better. It only helps so much.

Use whatever works for you. i use clear silicone caulk because it stays flexible, so it doesn't harden and crack, leading to air leaks. Some people prefer to use liquid nails, but I glue the box together when I build it, so the caulk is just to seal and small air leaks the adhesive may not have closed up.

Silver Member

Post Number: 205
so what do you say i should do? 1/3 so like just 2 sides covered and thats it?
sorry to thread jack, but at least im on the polyfill subject

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13800
polyfill is pillow stuffing.
it's loose cottony stuff.

Silver Member

Post Number: 214
ya and thats what i have, it was only like 4 dollars a yard, i have plenty and i can always get more just not sure how much to use

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 564
it comes in sheat form as well.

Silver Member
Username: Mash4kash

Lafayette, LA

Post Number: 316
Do you have to staple the polyfill to the inside of the chamber or just throw it in whjich it will be at the bottom under the magnet?

Silver Member

Post Number: 215
i bought an adhesive, sprayed the box where i wanted to put the fill, and sprayed the side of the polyfill that would be sticking to the box and put it in like that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us