Help with my dilemma

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 421
Ok,so i let my little brother use my car for a couple days. I get it back to day,and my sub sounds like garbage an its making some strange noises. Im pretty sure its toast! He admitted to abusing it an agreed to pay me for it,but im not to sure what to do now. The sub was a dd1515. Its in a 4cuft box at 35hz. At some point this summer i plan on buying a ho alt so i realy dont think i should buy another 1515. What else would be a good fit for this box? I havent measured the cutout diameter yet,but the sub fits in there snug an for the 1515 it seems it has a 14'' cutout.(If im wrong bassman,chime in please) Ive been looking around at different 15'' subs an almost all have a bigger cutout. So what do i do?
Budget of around $300,amp im currently using is an aq1200d. Just looking to hear some suggestions guys,thanks for the help.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16364
u shud email DD to find out about a recone ....

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 818
You should make your brother pay for a new sub AND enclosure to fit whatever you decide on

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5216
Haha, I remember when I let my brother borrow my car once and I get it back with all the bass settings maxed out on the head unit and volume turned up near max. Was lucky I didn't lose my front components because of that (the comps were being overpowered already). What are brothers for, right.

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1619
As for the cut out, I would cut it bigger if needed. I also would call DD and see if they would take it towards a credit on a bigger woofer. On that same note though i think there are a good amount of 15's near that budget that wouldn't do bad in 4 cuft box.

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 549
Q15

DUAL 1 | DUAL 2

Fs: 32.4 Hz | 32.1 Hz
Re: 0.7 Ohms/coil | 1.4 Ohms/coil
Qms: 8.52 | 8.61
Qes: .43 | .44
Qts: .41 | .42
Mms: 293g | 299g
Cms: 0.82mm/N | 0.82mm/N
Sd: 810cm^2 | 810cm^2
Vas: 75.6 l | 75.6 l
Spl: 89.6dB 1W/1m | 89.4dB 1W/1m
Bl: 13.9 N/A | 19.65 N/A
Xmax: 28mm
Rms: 1000W
Sealed box: 2-2.6 cuft
Ported box: 2.8-4 cuft @ 28-33Hz

mine is on the way right now i will let you know how it sounds.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11108
Upgrade to a higher level DD sub... that box would work for 3515 or 9515

Of course you would want more power then also

Silver Member
Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 202
i just emailed DD and asked for a recone for a 9515G, they told me it was 299+shipping. for d1 and d2 coil config's..

slap your brother for me, lol

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 422
Yeah thats how mine was, sub control an bass all the way up! Dam kids these days!lol
I thought about a dd upgrade,but they all have a bigger cutout,and i wanted to try to avoid cutting the box if at all posible.
@deathhoob Yeah,let me know. I thought about the Q,but it to has a slightly bigger cutout.
If i do have to cut it alittle,what would be the best way to do it? Thanks again guys

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 317
sean my brother did the same thing! i only let him use my ICON 12 for 1 night!!!! and than when i get in the car the f u cking head unit bass output is MAXED SUB OUTPUT MAAAXXXED fronts destrorting like crazy at volumne 29/32!! he hasnt even payed me back for the recone $100 and denies ever doing anything to it.. even though the facts are right there!! dumb brothers bahhhhhh

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 186
sean p i think dd actually uses bigger cut outs than like every other sub.. 14" is big i think most 15s are around 13.5 to 13.75 or so but i may be wrong, i never messed with any 15s before.
but ascendent makes good subs from what i hear.
and since everyone loves aq amps an hdc 15 would be a good choice for that amp.. i think aq makes better subs than amps so maybe give them a try, and im guessing it would be close to your $300 budget maybe a little more from their shipping.
or if u go on caco i hear great things about dave from psi reconing subs, he told me 130 shipped for my blown dd3512 and that was with some upgrades that i forgot

Silver Member

Post Number: 187
hey deathoob let me know what u think about the q.
i started a box last weekend and will finish this weekend on it. i have my mind set on the 18 so my box is just about 6.0 cu ft after sub and port displacement tuned around 33-34 hz.. i know a little high but i messed up the box and had to make some changes to fit in my trunk and thats what it came out to.
instead of doing carpet or line x spray im going to paint the port white and the rest of the box black and put a laquer finish on it. something different and im sure it will turn out pretty nice, since my home sub box looks too nice in my house with the laquer finish.
ill prob post some pics of everything.
but i just want to know how the sq is on it, im sure it will be nice but i just like to hear as much feedback as possible
sorry for getting off topic

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 556
i will let you know cwruck.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 426
@cwruck I thought the same thing about the cutouts,but mostly all that i looked at so far have a slightly bigger cutout an i checked quite a bit of them too. I thought about the hdc,its just a fraction bigger at 14.0625. So im sure i can make it work. What about the box though? Would 4cuft at 35hz be ok for the sub? Anybody?
And if i do need to shave alittle off,whats the cleanest way to do it? I dont want to screw it up by being me!lol
Any other suggestion would be great guys,thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13782
1. kill your brother
2. sell his body for science
3. use proceeds to upgrade car stereo
4. ??????
5. PROFIT!

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 561
^^^^^^^^^^

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 427
Maybe if i had more than one brother i could,but hes the only one i have so i gotta keep him around.
No thoughts Glass? Anybody?

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22899
Just how did he admit to abusing it? Just slamming the volume? Did he change gain or bass settings?

In my day a properly set system is fool proof. Meaning even at high volume no distortion is sent to the driver(s). Then again, that was in MY day lol. If he's fugging with HU and/or amp settings then take his first child for the trouble.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 428
He never messed with the amp,its in a spot thats a pain in the azz to get to. The dam hu settings all maxed out though. Sub control,bass, an the fricking loud setting was even on! Im still pissed about it,but what can i do. He gave me the cash for it already so... Now i just got to find a nice replacement. Thoughts?

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 429
Ok,out of these choices what do you guys think would do the best in this box?
1.Fi Q
2.Hdc
3.rl-p
4.ssa icon
5.dd 3515
6.death row series
I would like to through a dc lvl4 in there to but its a bit out of my price range. Also,i know these are all totaly different subs. Im just want to find what would sound best in my box. If theres any other opinions on subs,please let me know. Thanks again guys

Silver Member

Post Number: 206
4.0 cu ft tuned to 35 hz is perfect for a 15. see if u can recone the sub or go with the aq hdc15. it would be even louder than the dd and could take much more power.
if the cutout is too small you can just get some sandpaper and go at it for a while to open it up a little more, but you never know your new sub may just fit in the cutout you already have

Silver Member

Post Number: 207
if you want more of a sq sytem go with the Q. if not stick with dd or aq for being loud.
my friend had a dc lv 4xl with the sq upgrade or whatever rusty does to those subs to make them sound better in a 4.0 cu ft tuned to 35 hz box and it sounded good, hit lows very hard but still hit the highs nicely as well. he was putting around 2200 to 2400 to it.
but if you dont have as much power the choices i said above will be just fine

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 432
Its a toss up right now between the rl-p the Q and the hdc. All have different sound,i know. I want it loud but also sound good. Will the hdc do ok on 1200wrms?

Silver Member

Post Number: 220
well I'm going with an 18" Q myself, ill be getting it pretty soon, but i want a good Sq system that can still get loud.
I'm not too familiar with the rl-p but ive heard only good things about them, but i say if your after a loudness set up go with the hdc, you just can't go wrong with it, 1200 will be plenty for it and it can always take much more

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 433
ok thanks man,i appreciate the input.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 434
If i do go with the hdc,do i want to go with the copper or aluminium coils? Its about a $60 difference. Is it worth it? Other than power handling is there any other benefit? Im just trying to weigh my options here. Im still not totally sure on what im going to get. Im not ordering anything till next week,so i have time to ponder. Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 232
do the copper coils, i hear they can easily take 1500 all day like that, and the thing about aluminum to my knowledge is that aluminum is more meant for spl comps, like burps and the sq is worse.
So save the money and get better sound with the copper

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 436
Ok,thanks again man

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 438
Also,besides the Q. What else is out there that would give me good sq an still get loud on 1200wrms?

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 441
Nobody? somebody? Anybody?

Silver Member

Post Number: 251
maybe a soundsplinter rl-p but i heard they are on a delay or something right now.
Also heard good things about exodus audio, they have an 18 for 450 thats supposed to be one of the best sq subs.
I think an Fi Q seems to be the best choice for sq in its price range

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 444
Ive heard the same thing about the rl-p's. I kinda wanted to stay away from the Q cause it seams like everyone an there mother got one now a days,but i think thats what i may go with. Hard to beat for the money! As for some of the options for the Q. What do i really need? Or do you have a link or something that would explain them? Dont want to waste cash on options i dont need. Thanks again for the help
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us