Powerbass subs which amp?

Username: Austing91

Post Number: 3
i own a 2000 ford f150. i purchased a single powerbass m124d sub and plan on getting another and using 2 sealed boxes. Each sub is 750 watts and 350 watts rms with 4 ohm dual voice coils. What amp would be best for this? i kno that i will be runnin the speakers parallel so that i need a 2 ohm stable amy because runnin parallel calls for half the impedance for total ohms but i need help pick an amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Ja205

Post Number: 65
i used to almost have the same set up you have man and in the same truck! are u putting them under your seat? if so just buy a 1 custom box. for a amp look for likr a 750.1 mono block amp

Post Number: 4
they would go behind the seat becasue my truck is a single cab i forgot to mention thath sorry. So wht do you think then? and should i go sealed or ported on the boxes? And should i still get jus 1?

Bronze Member
Username: M_kimmel843

Post Number: 32
Well if you get two of those subs then wiring them parallel would be a 1 ohm load. Two dual 4's can only go to 4 ohm or 1 ohm, unless for some reason you don't use both voice coils on each sub which would just be stupid!

Like the above post states, just get a mono amp that puts out around 750 watts rms @ 1ohm.

What is your budget on an amp?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
around 200 for an amp

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
and how does it go from 4ohm all the way down to 1ohm how would u run it in 4ohms. All this ohm stuff kinda gets confusing and im tryn to learn it all

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
This is how.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=42

200 dollars you say, well if you can possible go up to around 250 the Audioque aq1200d would be a great choice! More wattage then you need but as long as you set your gains correctly this would be a wonderful amp! Good quality at a good price, check some of these threads, this amp is highly recommended. Here is a link to it. You can buy it straight from Audioque for 249.00 shipped!

http://www.audioque.com/aq/?page_id=26

If this is absolutely to pricey just tell me and we can find something else for you. I was just throwing this amp out there lol.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
this may not be too much but are there anymore that you could find im also worried since you did say that it has more watts than i need

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Yeah there are tons of amps out there so I'll look around and suggest a few for you. Don't worry about the wattage being more than you need, as long as you set your gains properly and practice smart bumping you will be fine. I personally always buy amps that are more powerful than what I actually need that way in the future if you wanted to upgrade you wouldn't have to buy a new amp. Generally, you can buy an amp that is 30-40% bigger than what you actually need. Also, your subs will hardly if ever see the amps full rated rms power due to no amplifier being 100% efficient. So, for example a 1200 watt rms class d mono block amp that is 84% efficient will probably never actually put out 1200 watts of power. I'll get back with you about some other amp choices!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
ok sounds good thanks idk this amp looks like it would work but i will jus see what else you can suggest......thanks a lot.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
i have a rockford fosgate p325.2 that putts out 325x1 at 4ohms but i kno that wont put out enough i want my subs to hit pretty hard i had a couple of kenwood 10s before and they arent rated very high. 300 peak and 150rms ran to a kenwood 350 amp that only puts out 150x1. They were jus a starting system that my dad got me and i feel like its time to upgrade, so any advice will help......thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
i found a planet audio that will push 650 watts x1 at 4 ohms would that push the 12s? the peak is at 750 watts

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Yes, that amp will give your subs 325 watts a piece wired in series at 4 ohms. Where did you find this amp, online? If so, can you post the link so I can take a look. Also, I have owned a Planet Audio amp in the past and I never had problems with it, I thought it was a solid amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
my dad has the rockford fosgate amp i could jus use it but here is a link for the specs, would this hit my subs hard enough?

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?item_id=106459&locale=en_US

here is a link for the planet audio amp:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QUZHPA

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Okay, scratch the Rockford amp it only puts out 80 watts @ 4 ohm and it is not stable at 1 ohm. The Planet Audio puts out 650 watts @ 1 ohm NOT 4 ohm, this amp only puts out 250 watts @ 4 ohm! So, the Planet Audio amp will be a good fit for your subs but instead of wiring your subs in series to a 4 ohm load, wire them in parallel to a 1 ohm load. Follow the link that I posted above. I think Planet Audio makes solid amps, I've used one in the past and I never had a problem with it. Honestly, I would spend the extra money to get the Audioque AD1200D just for the simple fact that for $249 shipped is a awesome deal! Also, with the AD1200D you would have room to eventually upgrade if you wanted. If you can't get it I understand, money is tight. If you decided against the Planet Audio let me know and we can keep on looking. Good luck

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Wow, I'm retarded I just noticed that I was calling the Audioque AQ1200D the AD1200D. My bad, but you what I'm talking about. LOL

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
ya its cool i know what your talkn about, so you think it would be pretty loud with that planet audio amp tho? i like that setup best for the money

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 336
if you plan on putting ur bass to the max dont go with an amp that will do 30% more power then what u need... mtxs may not take to much to blow.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
i dnt have mtxs they are powerbass

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Yes, the Planet Audio amp will do just fine. If you need any help anytime in your install just hit me up. It seems you got your mind made up so good luck man, best wishes.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
okay sounds good but i found a better planet audio amp that puts out 700x1 at 4ohms

http://www.planetaudiousa.com/main/664

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Nice, that is there new series of amps. I had owned the BB1400.1 and it was a solid amp. If that amp is in your price range then I say go for it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
okay well thanks for all they help the diagrams helped a lot. I do have on more question tho. This amp will have to be wired in 4 ohms so when wiring the sub what wire do i use to wire the positive and negative termainals together. Red or black? or does it even matter other than that i know that u match the colors when you jus put the positive in positive and negative in negative.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
sorry if its a stupid question lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
It makes no difference.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
ya thought so but had to make sure anyways thanks for all your help man i will let ya know how it works out i still gotta order everything so it will take a couple weeks to get it all done

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Good deal man.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us