Big 3

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 288
im only planning on running max 1300-1500 rms. So would 4 gauge be ok? cause im about to pay someone $40(including wire) to do it for me tomorrow. any hints of something NOT to do would be great, thx

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8054
Make sure it is TRUE 4ga.
I prefer to solder large ring terminals.

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1598
I think 4 would be good. A fuse from the alt would be a good idea.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 290
ok, well ill just remind him of the fuse from the alt. What size fuse would i need. 80, 100?

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11100
If it's just a stock alternator, 4 gauge will do fine. Like canaan said make sure the wire is actually true gauge tho. Ring terminals can be crimped very well on heavy gauge wire with a tool that you hit with a hammer, smashes the terminal on there.

And a fuse in that wire is pointless. There is a power source at both ends (alt and battery). If that wire shorts it WILL burn, fuse or not.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 291
?? come again? so do i need any safety mechanism or not?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8055
I wouldn't fuse the alt to batt +.
Just make sure it is run properly and will not snag or get too hot. Wire loom will offer a little more protection, but not a lot.
That wire is not fused stock anyways.

Keep the stock wires intact, just add the 4ga. Clean and sand any paint from all contacts.

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1601
Apologies for the misleading information. I remember when i did mine a year ago or so the tutorial i seen recommended it so that was what i did.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 293
i think right now i have 8 gauge from alt to bat. gotcha canan, i hope i will notice a difference once this is done!

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 179
4 ga i dont think will honestly allow you to run 1500 watts.. unless its like a short run, like under 6 ft, but most people need around 13-15 ft or so. I believe that only allows 90 amps to go through the wire, i use 3/0 myself just to run a sundown 1200d, its probably overkill since im only using a 5 ft run for the power, but oh well.
i say run 2 ga or bigger, you may as well spend a little extra to do it right the first time.
so just make sure the run is as short as possible, you dont want an extra 5 ft not getting used especilly if its only 4 ga

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 180
sorry i thought you meant for regular wires..
for the big 3 you will be ok with 4 ga

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13757
If your alternator is 120A or smaller, then 4AWG wire is fine, as long as it's OFC wire, and not CCA.
CCA handles less current, but it's cheaper.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us