Wiring a duel voice coil sub to a 1000 watt sony xplode 2 channel amp

Username: Eraymond

Post Number: 1
i just bought another dvc 4 ohm legacy sub, i must be hooking it up wrong cause i keep smoking them before i leave the parking lot? can anyone please tell me how to wire the sub to the amp correctly, my amp runs a 4 ohm load, please help my speakers cant handle it, thanks alot for the space Eric

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 793
I posted how to wire 2 dual 4 ohm voice coil subs to a 4 ohm load in the other thread.

Post Number: 2
i only have 1 dvc 4 ohm sub not 2, i want to know to wire the voice coils together, then what wires go to my amp, ive tried positive on one voice coil to the negetive on the other one, then the other two positive and negetive get bridged on the amp, its works for a little while then poof speakers done, so yeah i want to know how to hook one up not two, thanks

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 795
Your sony Xplod 2 channel amp can only run bridged at 4 ohms. A single DVC 4 ohm sub can only be ran at 8 ohm or 2 ohm. I suppose you could run it at 8 ohm, or look into an additional sub, or different amp.

Post Number: 3
so if i took and hooked the two positives together and the two negatives together on each voice coil and then a positive from one and a negative from one and hooked it up to the amp in bridge what ohm would that put me at?

Post Number: 4
how can i run an 8 ohm load

Post Number: 5
what if i rand the 4ohm sub and the 4ohm load amp and didnt bridge it then what the ohms be?

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 797
Upload
Upload

There's no other ways to wire it.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 798
If you run it at an 8 ohm load, whatever the amp is rated at doing X 1 channel at 4 ohm, divide that rms in half. Set the gain accordingly.

Post Number: 6
would it be better to run it a 8 ohm or 2 ohm?

Post Number: 7
do i bridge it if i want to go to 2 or 8 ohms?

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 803
If youre running a single sub, bridged is the only way to run it, unless you are running it on just one channel. If you run it bridged you have to stay at 4 ohm or 8 ohm, it cant run at 2 ohm. If you run it at 2 ohm, the amp is going to produce a clipped signal and get really hot. That over time will damage your amp and/or sub. Depends on how much clipping and how well each item is built.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5203
Yep, just like Shawn said, you can only run that configuration at 8 ohms, 2 ohms is going to damage that amp, and given that it's a Sony Xplode, a 2 ohm load will fry it pretty quickly.

Also, these are some really basic questions that the OP is asking. While I'm fine with people getting into car audio, there are some things which are better learned by doing a bit of research than just adding another thread here in the forum, and it's way nice of Shawn to be really patient and answer the OPs questions. So just to set the OP in a good direction for hooking up subs, here's the site Shawn used earlier to calculate ohm load on the amp: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp#
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us