10w6v2 in HO box vs sealed

Username: Bc81

NJ

Post Number: 6
As a follow up to a post i made last week...i finally heard a 10w6v2..it was in the H.O. Box and i thought it sounded great....and would probably be plenty of bass for me for my daily driving.
How would this single 10 in the H.O. box sound vs 2 10w6v2s in a sealed box? This box really seemed to have the full/strong/heavy/kick i was looking for while still sounding good and neat.
I have yet to hear a w3v3 or w6v6 in a sealed box....i wanted to keep it sealed just because i have always liked the sound of sealed boxes...esp with 10s. I heard 2 10w3v3s and the 1 10w6 sounded better to me...but it may be the box/install.
The HO box is 15 incehs tall and 14 (which is the height of the sealed box to spec) is the max i can squeeze back there against the back seats...and thats really squeezing it in there.
I also think think that the 2 12w6v2s may be a little over the top for me now...
So, has anyone heard 10w6v2s in the HO box and sealed and can help me out?
Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Rosrock

Michigan

Post Number: 259
whats a HO box? u mean the reccomended ported size box for it?

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11092
The HO box is about as good as it gets with a JL sub... they don't patent that box design for nothing.

As much as I don't like JL for being so overpriced, they make very good equipment if you can get a deal.

NJ

Post Number: 7
HO is the High Output box. Most of the time you see it with a w7 but they make them for the 10 and 12 w6v2 too.
I am getting a good price on the JL stuff so price is not an issue.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 783
I've heard the HO box tends to make the subs too "boomy", I think its geared more toward low end. If you were to run 2 subs in a sealed enclosure, vs the one ported, I'm sure it would get just as loud if not louder, with a lot tighter response. Taking into consideration running the two subs, theyre going to be seeing more power than the single sub would be. In theory the additional sub and additional power are both looking at +3 dB gains, correct?

Bronze Member
Username: Allthingsfresh

Post Number: 84
i've never heard a w6 in an HO box, but i previously had 2 10 w6v2's in a sealed box.. What kind of car do you have? I has then in a 2002 chevy malibu off of about 800 rms. They were the best subs i have owned, but i've only owned kicker L7's and L5's.. They sounded good but personally, they were not as loud as i wanted my setup to be.. BUT they did get decently loud though.. pretty good sq setup.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5615
The HO box design is actually pretty good. Have not only built them for customers but also heard them and they do sound a little boomy. But overall, sound pretty decent.

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1587
I have heard a number of jl subs in the HO boxes, and honestly i like the way they sound very much. That goes for the w6's and the w7's. The boxes are pretty large in size and pretty heavy but the are built good. There was one that owed a few months back for a 10w7 that actually came loose in a few spots but i just screwed it and glued and it was back to normal.

I would think that two w6's sealed would have the upper hand but that is a good box. I know that box cost a pretty penny to though.

NJ

Post Number: 8
the box was deff solid. I picked it up and was amaized how heavy it was....the other shop i went to had a w7 box cut in 1/2 so you can see the insides of it and how the port is made...its pretty impressive.
I will prob go with the 2 10s just because i wanted 10s from the start...but i was deff impressed with the single 10 in this box.
boomy...yes
impressive...yes

deff a good box if you want some fun/hard hitting bass

Gold Member

Post Number: 5618
How much did the box run you?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1590
New they are very pricey i think they start around 500 bucks for the 10w6 and go up for the 12 and the w7's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5619
haha. wow

Gold Member

Post Number: 1592
I'm sure you can make one for less if will just take a little longer then usual.

NJ

Post Number: 9
I think I will go with the 2 10s sealed. If i feel like its not enough for me (it will prob be more than enough), i can always have a ported box made and change it up....or throw one of them in the HO box and sell the other one (if that single 10 box will give me more powerfull/strong bass then the 2 10s sealed).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us