New mono amp not as loud as hifonics amp?

Username: Mario0573

Post Number: 1
ok just wanted to run this past a few of you
i have a lexus es330 with the standard sterero not ML i had at the time the line out converter from thestock sub in the rear deck supplying the singal to the hifonics 1206d bruits amp which supposedly did 1200 at 1ohm to the 2 alpine 1042 10" subs in a sealed box which sounded good till the Hifonics amp died
so what i did was replaced the stock HU with an Alpine w505 with imprint which gave me 4v pre outs and replaced the sub amp with an AudioQue 1200 which says does 1200 watts at 1ohm (same as the Hifonics)when setting this up the amp needs the gain to like 90% to sound decient i admint the bass sounds better it hits with more SQ but i was expect this amp and new head unit to play alot louder i have the crossover settings all the way open on the sub amp and have the crossover settings on the HU set to 100hz i have not done the imprint calibration yet because i want to replace all door speakers next week.
im not new to car audio as ive had a systems in my cars that were loud but this imprint system has got me stumped
any suggestions?

Bronze Member
Username: M_kimmel843

Post Number: 58
Do you have to use the Imprint device? I was under the impression that the Imprint device was more for use with a factory stereo. I could be wrong.

Bronze Member
Username: Bobby3342

Post Number: 57
i have the same amp audioque 1200d unfortunatly everyone that owns that amp has to put the gain up high for that amp to sound good

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
I don't think everyone has that issue. The Audioque AQ1200D has gotten more than it's fair share of good reviews on this forum for being a good solid amp. Maybe, you just need to get a bigger amp, different enclosure design, and/or better subs. Also, you might want to look into woofers that have a higher sensitivity rating. The higher your woofers sensitivity rating simply put means that, you need less wattage to get the same output. So, lets say your woofers sensitivity rating is 87db, this means that with one watt of power your woofer will put out 87db of sound per one meter as opposed to a woofer with a sensitivity of 92db which would put out 92db of sound per one meter with the same wattage. As far as I know a sensitivity rating lower than 87 is considered poor, not meaning the woofer is bad just that it takes more power to get it bumping. I've heard 88-92 is considered average and that anything over 92 is pretty good. Not trying to sound like a a55 or anything, just trying to shed some light on what the problems may be.

Bronze Member
Username: Bobby3342

Post Number: 58
i uderstand sensitivity ratings but i own a aq 1200d and i have had several subwoofer combos on them including re audio se 12 which are 86.1 jbl1224 which are 92to 94 some sites claim differnet numbers also re audio sx 15 90 sens.. digital designs 3512 s 89 sens and aq sdc2.5 88.1 and all were in efficent designed enclosures. im not saying the aq amp is bad by any means in fact i love it but it is not the best amp out there. and all had to turn the gain at least to 70 percent not a bad amp by any means.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
Fair enough, I miss understood your post I'm sorry for assuming.

Username: Mario0573

Post Number: 2
oh my Alpines are83db

Bronze Member
Username: Frank12391

Sydney, N.S.W Australia

Post Number: 29
You have xover the sub twice. Once in the amp & once in the H/U. Look at your xover settings then reset the gains. Might help a bit more.

Bronze Member

Sydney, N.S.W Australia

Post Number: 30
You have xover the sub twice. Once in the amp & once in the H/U with a very steep slope. Thats not going to blend well with your mid bass. You have to have it on pass through from the deck. Re-do your xover settings then reset the gains. Might help a bit more.

Bronze Member

Sydney, N.S.W Australia

Post Number: 31
^^^ Also, get the basics right before you imprint. It's not perfect. Sometimes it's better to do it by ear as they are the best judge. Sub xover @ 100 hz is a bit high IMO especially when running a sealed enclosure. It must be pretty peaky. Drop it down to about between 60 - 80 Hz then your high pass @ 100hz. Xovers are not brick walls, they are called xovers for a reason. Under-lapping is common practice in audio. @ 80 Hz it will play over that to around 120 Hz. Otherwise your sub will play some mid frequencies & be a lot more directional. You want the bass upfront. It will sound louder that way too. Then do your imprint.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us