Refurbished amp!

Bronze Member
Username: M_kimmel843

Post Number: 15
Hello,

I had an amplifier sent to Kenon Electronics, a big electrical refurbish company. They fixed my amplifier and sent it back to me saying that the problem was what they called "over current". When I reinstalled the amplifier into my vehicle I noticed that the power the amp was putting out was pathetically low compared to what it was before the amplifier malfunctioned. My head unit's settings are exactly the same as before, the amplifiers settings are exactly what they were before, and the only thing in my vehicles setup that has changed is that I purchased a new set of Rockford Fosgate rca's. So, I was wanting to know if there were any ideas that anyone would like to share with me?

Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13628
reset the gain on the amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
If you mean turn the gain all the way down then readjust, I've already did this because they said they tested the amp on 3 different benches. So, when I received it back I had to readjust the settings back to where I had them previously.

Now, if by reset the gain you mean something different, I would like you to explain what you mean please.

Thank you

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13633
nah that's what I meant. I figured they e-adjusted the gain to match their input source for testing, and didn't know if you'd checked that particular setting.

You checked everything else too? XO settings and all? phase setting?

If it really is quieter, some of the output FETs on the PCboard may have been damaged, which would be a result of over-current as well, but they may have missed one or two of those. If I was you, I'd call the repair place and ask them if some of the "finals" could be damaged, becasue after resetting the amplifier and reinstalling it, you've noticed a marked decrease in output.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Yes, I checked everything and it is still more quiet than before. Thanks for the advice I will make sure to contact the company again.

By the way, what exactly is "over-current" I mean I can pretty much speculate as to what it is but why didn't the amp go into protect or my inline fuse blow or something like that?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13644
briefly, your speaker wires touched, and shorted out the finals, causing the amp's power supply to attempt to supply an infinite or unlimited current draw from the electrical system, and as a result put far too much current to the MOSFETs, which in turn cooked em.

over-current just means the amp drew too much current due to a dead short at the output side, and if fuses don't blow, or blow fast enough, the finals in the amp get cooked.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Well, thank you for your time in explaining this to me I really appreciate it!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us