Ohm load and gain setting

Silver Member
Username: Slimdog53185

Bowling Green, Kentucky U.S.

Post Number: 134
Should I set my gain at the frequency that has the lowest ohm load or the highest? I've been thinking about this for a while. Most of the time I just use a 50Hz tone at 0dB.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13602
set the gain on the amp to match the INPUT line voltage, not the output voltage. You're dealing with two different parts of the amp here. If the amp has an adequate power suply, it shouldn't clip on the output at any load, as long as the input signal isn't clipping, and the gain on the amp matches that input voltage.

If you want to use the output voltages though, then use the lowest impedance. that will be the amp's highest output.

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
When I check the output voltage it reads 12v or so. I'm looking to get 600w at 2ohms so thats about 34.6v. I know that 12v is not right. Thats less then 50w a sub, and it sounds like more then that. The DMM is set to AC and everything should be right I changed batts and everything.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13607
well, trying to guess power by audible output is sketchy at best, since there are so many variables to the output beyond power alone.

The way to see what's going on is to measure the current being drawn by the amp with an ammeter at the input.

Silver Member

Post Number: 136
Would I do that just like setting the gain? After I get the reading what formula tells me the output?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13608
volts * amperes = watts by ohm's law, but for the output I'd multiply the result for the input by 0.8 for a class D amp to account for the 80% efficiency

Silver Member

Post Number: 137
I'll get the measurements in the morning. Do I measure them at the output or input?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us