Can I run one amp from rear RCAs and another from rear speaker outputs?

Username: Orangejbird

Post Number: 1
Would like to run an amp to a subwoofer from rear speaker outputs and also amp my 6x9s from the rear RCAs. I can't find anything in my owners manual against this.
Current setup: Pioneer DEH-16 HU, Pioneer TS-A6993R 6-Inch X 9-Inch, 460-Watt 5-Way Speakers, Pioneer GM-5400T 760-Watt, 2-Channel Power Amplifier hooked to RCAs.

Want to add either another 2-channel amp and sub, OR a powered sub running off rear speaker output.

So . . . will two amps-(one running off rear speaker) and (the other running off RCAs) simultaneously affect the HU or sound output?}

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13396
look for an electronic crossover like the Coustic XM-3. This will allow you to run up to 6 amplifier channels from one pair of RCA pre-outs on the head unit.

audiocontrol also makes similar products.

Post Number: 2
Will what I asked about work?
That is the question.

Platinum Member

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13404
you can use high level in/outputs, sure.
it just sounds crappy.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5297
The simplest way is to get a pair of rca splitters. Run one to the sub amp, one to the speaker amp. Then use the amps xovers to tune them.
But using a speaker wires with a converter will sound worse as suggested by Glasswolf before in the post above mine in this thread about the way to set up a 2 amp set up with only 1 set of rca outs .

Platinum Member

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13415
http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/activexo.html

Post Number: 3
Thank you all for your help. I'm not an audiophile as you can tell. The amp I'll be using for the sub is the same as the one hooked to my 6x9s in the rear deck. It has RCA and speaker wire inputs. I tried my 6X9s both ways and couldn't tell the difference. Will hooking up the the rear speaker outputs to an amped/sub pull anything away from the line level RCAs already hooked to my amped/6X9s? '69 Plymouth Fury w/loud pipes. Will it hurt the Head Unit?

Platinum Member

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13426
that will work.

Post Number: 4
Thank you, GlassWolf. Maybe someday I'll be able to put a system like in your Charger(nice) in my Roadrunner. For now the Fury gets this system. What do you recommend for the front? In the dash, on the kick panels, or in the doors? No amp up front. Budget an issue.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Speakers/SpecialAp plication/TS-X150 These OK for now? I could mount them to the kick panels.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us