How many watts should I have? (for 2 subs)

Username: Stripes

Nebraska United States

Post Number: 2
Hello folks,
I would like to know how large of amp I should get for two sub woofers. I would like intense bass when needed, but also clarity when needed. Saying this, I imagine this omits amps without a bass adjusting nob. For brands of amplifiers, I am mainly interested in Kicker products. I love their form of warranty, birth certificate RMS, and just overall price. I will probably be going on e-bay to purchase my amp, in hopes of saving 30% - 40%. I am e-bay smart, meaning I know what is safe and what is not, etc. So, anyhow, more detailed into my question, is what amplifier should I get, that has a bass adjusting nob (amp will probably be in back, omitting buttons on amp), good bass performance, good quality, and used to power 2 sub woofers, which will probably be at least 13". I was thinking around 750, but, this may not always be enough if I were to go into a showoff stage. I do not want to buy multiple amps and finding out things the hard way, that is why I am here, looking for some good help from those who know what they're talking about.

Thanks in advanced,
Nic

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5136
What subwoofers do you want? Best thing to do is figure out what subwoofers you want, and then figure out what amp you want (you'll have more luck finding an appropriate amp for you subs than appropriate subs for an amp).

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 642
You will definately want to go with a SQL setup if you want it to be able to be loud and still sound good. That is going to be dependant on the subwoofers and the enclosure. You'll want to go ported, what Hz the box should be tuned to will depend on the subs as well. A bass knob isn't really important, if you turn it up too high it will only cause distortion. Matching the rated RMS needs of the subs is more key for output potential.

Username: Stripes

Nebraska United States

Post Number: 3
I don't have subs yet, that is why I am asking what amp for what I desire, then I will decide on the subs. I figured SQL setup would be good, and the bass knob I find a necessity due to my songs and the quality. Plus who doesn't like an extra control? :D

Bronze Member
Username: Eljosh

Post Number: 17
A friend of mine had an Infinity amp with a control thing hooked up to a Kicker. Which I thought the Kicker sounded horrible but thats just me. but it would be easier to find out how many watts you need if you pick out which subs you want first, because if you get two 350 watt subs that would need a different amp than if you got two 600 watt subs. and also get two subs with the same coil ohms.

Bronze Member
Username: Ja205

Post Number: 47
yeah u wanna choose what subs you want first man whats your price rang on your whole set up

Bronze Member
Username: Ja205

Post Number: 49
whats your price rang?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us