(HELP) What amps to run these subwoofers???

Username: Heymistergq

Post Number: 3
I'm totally new to the car audio scene. So be patient with me. The more i research, the more confused i get with the subwoofer and amp setup. So, I have two 12" Dual 4ohm memphis power reference subwoofers, I'm absolutely confused as to how i should buy an amp? I have both the power acoustik bamf 2000/1 amp and Alpine MRP M1000 amp in mind. But will they both be too strong for my subwoofers? and If could i make my 4ohm subwoofers work with a non-one ohm stable amp?

Bronze Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 14
Im pretty new aswell, but I might be able to help you understand the wiring. Since you have dual 4ohm subs, that means each subwoofer has 2 coils that can be wired either parallel or series to get either a 2ohm load or an 8ohm load respectively. When you wire both subs to the amp you will have to choose between series and parallel again, assuming you wired the woofers coils in parallel for a 2ohm load then you can wire each sub in parallel to the amp to get a final 1ohm load, or wire them in series to get a 4ohm load.

So with two 4ohm DVC you can go series-series: 16ohm load; series-parallel: 4ohm load (what I would recommend); or parallel-parallel: 1ohm load.

series-parallel: http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2DVC_4-ohm_mono.jpg

As far as choosing your amp, The memphis power refrence are 250 RMS if its the 15-PR12D4V2. So since your powering 2 of them I would find an amp thats about 500 RMS @ 4 ohms. both the amps you chose are 600 RMS @ 4 ohms, im pretty sure thats fine but ill let someone more experienced explain that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us