Boss Audio Outlaw Amplifiers

Username: Hozer91284

Post Number: 1
Ive recently purchsed a boss outlaw 0l5kd 5000 watt mono block class d amplifier off online and i havent recieved it yet and im havin trouble finding any feedback on whether or not its any good ill be pushing two dual 2 ohm voice coil 2000 watt audiopipe 15's just wondering if i made a good choice or not i paid 250 dllrs for the amp so if anyone has used that amp or knows of it let me know what u think.

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 337
Boss is a very low quality amp. Maybe you should have asked this question before you ordered it?

Post Number: 4
i kinda figured it was lower quality but i mean 5000 watt for 250 dllrs can u really go wrong i was trying to c if anyone had actually heard the amp and could tell me if it still had some good bas

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13104
* Max power @ 1-Ohm: 5000W x 1
* Max power @ 2-Ohm: 3500w x 1
* Max power @ 4-Ohm: 2250w x 1
* Remote subwoofer level control
* RCA line outputs
* Gain control
* Input sensitivity selector
* Variable subsonic filter
* Strapping capability: Strap two amps together for twice the power
* Variable low pass crossovers
* 0 - +18 dB Bass Boost
* Power and protection LEDs
* 0--180 degrees Variable phase shift control
* Signal-to-noise ratio: > 100 dB
* THD: 0.01%
* Dimensions: 11-5/16"W X 2-5/8"H X 17-1/8"L

Max rating, which means the amp is NOT actually 5Kw. It's also a $225 amplifier, which really means it's not 5Kw (I'll show you a real 5Kw amp in a moment for comparison)
I also found this:
# RMS Power Rating:
* 4 ohms: 2250 watts x 1 chan.
which I'm still honestly not buying. Even if it could produce that much power, the power supply wouldn't be nearly sufficient to have any reserve power at that output. The amp has 4 30A fuses for a class D amplifier. This means the most power it could actually produce continuously is about 1100 watts RMS (regardless of load) because beyond that, you'd blow fuses. You'd also need a charging system (batteries and alternator) that could handle that sort of draw, which you don't, unless you've spent about $500-1000+ on electrical upgrades for the car.

Here's a real 5Kilowatt amplifier, for reference:

http://www.rdaudio.net/rd5750/rd5750.htm

please scroll down and observe the price.

Then, just for kicks, look at this one, too.. just because I love this beast:
http://www.rdaudio.net/rd7250/rd7250.htm

Post Number: 7
nice man proly shoulda looked around a little too late now and the funny thing is that on the boss audio site there still charging like 500 dollars for it i even found one site where they were trying to get 600 for it then on like amazon i saw it for like 219 but ill give it a shot worse comes to worse ill have to get something new but thanx for the suggestion unfortunately i don't have 2100 dollars to spend on an amp =-)

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13107
a few items to ponder:
the Boss amp will work (till it dies) for what you need. It's still an amp and it will produce fairly clean power as long as you do it right. set the gain on the amp properly, don't crank it all the way up to "get more volume or power from the amp"
use the correct gauge power and ground wires from teh battery and to chassis respectively, making sure to get a good ground point to bare metal. Wire gauge will depend on length of run based on a current draw peak of (for the one amp alone) 30*4A (fuses) so 120A of current.
I've seen some half decent amps from BOSS, although they make a LOT of crap, too. None of their stuff is fantastic, but again, some amps will do fairly well for the pretty cheap relative cost. It will surely hold you till you can do better, later on.

something else to consider is that increasing power is the most inefficient means of increasing output (volume.) The easier way to go about that is a more efficient enclosure (higher gain), a more sensitive speaker (more output per watt of input) and a good install, by doing things like sound deadening the interior of the car to reduce resonance that robs you of sound by wasting energy in the form of rattling metal instead of producing music. (increasing the efficiency of the environment.)

To double the audible volume of a speaker, (+6 to+10dB increase in volume) you need ten times the power. Double the power to a speaker, and you get +3dB more in volume. This is equal to adding a second speaker and splitting the total power between the two. Noticeable, but not nearly double the output, since the decibel is a log scale, and not a linear scale. You can see why trying to make a system louder by using bigger amplifiers isn't very efficient when you start getting into the need for battery banks, and high output alternators (multiple ones in a car.)

Post Number: 8
wow,thanx man u've been a big help appreciate it u know ur stuff man do install or go to school for this stuff or something?

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13118
quick resume?
electrical engineer
MECP certified master installer
20+ years experience
former IASCA and USAC pro competitor

I have a passing familiarity with audio.

Bronze Member
Username: Itatum

Post Number: 39
i had a boss amp once and it was broken out of the box. but i kinda fixed it. just enough to get it to work and it was ok for a few weeks, then it died. i heard about AQ from this forum, i just installed a 2200D. that thing is awesome.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us