Amp producing less and less power

Silver Member
Username: Slimdog53185

Bowling Green, Kentucky U.S.

Post Number: 117
I check the voltage on my amp pretty often. Every time I check it lately the voltage age is less then before, but nothing has changed. All the settings are still the same and I use the same test tone. What could be causing this? I don't want my new subs messed up before I get to really use them.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 556
What kind of amp is it? How old is your battery and/or your alternator. It could either be the power source feeding the amp or the amp itself.

Bronze Member
Username: Jmartin2323

Cleveland, Ohio United States

Post Number: 34
Sounds like your alternator is possibly on its way out. When they go they perform less and less until they finally die. This would also mean that your power windows (if present) etc will roll up slower and ur lights may appear dimmer. Check those and see if anything applies.. Go to ur local Autozone they can check and see if ur Alt is still performing the way it should. Just some suggestions. Good Luck

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
I just replaced the alt. about 2 months ago. The batt is a couple years old.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13076
amp input voltage (DC) or output voltage (AC)?

Input would suggest the alternator is damaged or insufficient (testing above idle?) or the battery is going bad.

output voltage would indicate some blown finals in the amplifier.

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
Its the output voltage. Input voltage is pretty constant at 13.8v. I have been testing at idle.

How can I fix that?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13082
have the amp repaired. it's probably the FETs in the finals, but it could possibly be the input stage of the amp, or failing capacitors, or the power supply failing.. I don't want to pin it to one thing without having looked at it.
You can send it in for repair or just replace it, depending on how attached to it you are.

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
I'm planning to upgrade real soon. Would it hurt to keep using it? everything is almost set to max, but when I got it the gain was set a little over halfway and no bass boost. Doesn't seem to be clipping though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us