Soooo confused...

Username: Fashionstar3

Post Number: 1
ok so i have 2 rockford fosgate 12" punch p2s 500 W peak...and a 2000 W max MD sound mono block, 2ohm stable amp. i am obviously looking for the loudest bump... so i am wondering if i should add more subs or get a new amp or just start all over and get a whole new system... or just add to it and if i add will i need like another battery or something?? idk.. help?

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 531
A few things. One, what version P2s do you have? Dual 4 ohm, dual 2 ohm? Depending upon what you have will determine how you can wire them. How you wire them will determine if you can run them at 2 ohm or 4 ohm off of the amp you have. Your amp as you stated is only 2 ohm stable, so it will put out its peak RMS at 2 ohm. Running the subs at 2 ohms, if you can, will be one step in getting the most "bump". Just as importantly is the enclosure the subs are in. Is the box sealed or ported? Pre-fab (store bought) or custom built for your subs. Adding an additional battery if only if you needed to, to help maintain voltage. The first step there would be upgrading the stock grounds on the battery under the hood (easily done). Thirdly, if you were to get a new set up, what kind of sound are you going for and how much would you be willing to invest? We'll help you the best we can.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12952
1. don't use "peak" or "max" power ratings. they don't mean anything.
Stick to CEA200x ratings, or RMS ratings only.
2. "power handling" for a speaker only tells you how much heat the coils can handle without damage. It does not tell you how much power the speaker needs to reach peak excursion. That's dependent on several factors, the least of which is not what box you use.
3. if you're after SPL, start over. save up and buy a decent amp. Sundown, Audioque, Orion, PPI, DD, something like that.
4. Look for an SPL oriented sub. The P2 is not that sub. An Fi BTL, or DD 9915 is more in your category.
5. you'll be louder with one good sub, than with two or more cheap ones.

Post Number: 2
:S ok well this is what the box for my sub says.
size (type): 12" P2 Series
power rating (RMS/PEAK): 250W/500W
frequency response: 26-250 Hz
Nominal impedance: dual 4 ohm
free-air resonancs (Fs): 26 Hz
Total "Q" (Qts): 0.58
equivalent compliance (Vas): 67.3 L
sensitivity (SPL): 86 dB
Voice coil: 2" 4 layer.
i hope that helps?
and im not sure what SPL means. :S sorry im a total rookie at all this.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12960
OK that 250W RMS is the important number. that's how much continuous power the speaker can handle (a measure of heat dissipation) without causing damage to the coils.

SPL is sound pressure level. (means LOUD)
SPL oriented subs are targeted for a system designed for competitions in volume, whereas an SQ (sound quality) sub is aimed more at musicality while still having the ability to "make you feel it."

What are the amp's specs?
(a link to it would work too)

Post Number: 3
http://www.amazon.com/MD-Sound-MD-2628M-Watts-Amplifier/dp/B002M4XT32 hope that helps? and im trying to upload a picture of my box but it says i have to make it smaller but i'll keep trying Shawn

Post Number: 4
Upload

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12961
OK, that box is pre-fabricated and probably not tuned.
Those ports should be trimmed to tune tthe box to around 34Hz, to make it sound a lot better.
Also your subs are rated for continuous 500 watts RMS combined, and the amp is rated for 600 watts RMS, so if you want louder, your best bet is to go with two better subs, and honestly, a better amp, too.

These are the specs on the amp:
# Mono Block
# 4 Ohm Rms: 600
# 2 Ohm Rms: 750

Generally when an amp can't double it's power going from 4 ohms to 2 ohms, this is an indicator that the power supply in the amp isn't a good one. This means the amp doesn't ahve enough reserve power, or dynamic headroom to handle sudden large spikes in demand, and will tend to clip instead, which will cause the amp to sound flat, the speakers to distort, and possibly even damage teh subs in the process from excess heat buildup in teh coils from clipped DC voltage.

I'd recommend looking at a bigger amp, like a Sundown or Auqioque 1200 watt @ 2 ohm mono sub amp (Orion and PPI have decent amps in that power range, too) then going to a better pair of subs, like Fi SSD 12", or even a single 15", and having a custom slot-ported box made for the sub(s)

The difference will be night and day.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 533
To be honest I'd just start all over if you're looking for a good set-up. The P series from Fosgate really arn't that good. Fosgate used to make nice subs back in the day but not so much anymore. The only thing they really have going for them now are their amps. If you can give us a budget on how much you can spend on a system we can lead you in the right direction. Also what type of music do you listen to? The brands Glasswolf listed are really good brands that are well affordable. Luckily today there are a few good companies that make solid products without breaking the bank. Also what type of vehicle is this going into? Also with your current subs that are dual 4 ohm, you can either wire them to 4 ohm or 1 ohm together. You'd have to run them at 4 ohm to the amp since your amp is not 1 ohm stable. This is how:

Upload

Minnesota United States

Post Number: 5
well my budget is pretty much open as long as its reasonable and im getting good stuff for my money. i listen mostly to rap. its going into a 97 honda accord. and idk what ohms are :S

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 539
Well for an amp I'd say go with a Sundown. A 1000D is online for $315. You could also do an AQ1200D for around $249. There are a few other good choices in amps but either of those are a solid choice. For subs, you could go with a set of 12" Alpine Type Rs or FI Audio SSDs. Both are nice all around subs that will perform well for SPL (loudness) and still maintain a decent amount of SQ (sounding good). Third I would have a custom enclosure built for the subs you choose to go with. All 3 components are equally important. The amp, the subs and the enclosure. I'd recommend going ported if you listen to a lot of rap and want them loud. A guy on here by the name of Dustin makes awesome enclosures. You can see a lot of build logs on the subwoofer section. He personally made me a box and its great. Something I'd also recommend is doing the Big 3. You upgrade your 2 grounds (from battery to chassis/from chassis to engine block) then run a new power wire directly from your alternator to the positive post of your battery. This is easily done normally so don't think it will be a major ordeal. For that you'll need about 8 - 10 feet of wire (4 guage will work but I'd recommend 1/0 guage) and ring terminals that fit the guage wire. What kind of wire do you have running through the car now? Paul is selling nice 4 guage Shok Industries wire on here for a sweet price. I ordered some 1/0 guage from him and it took 2 days to get to me.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 540
As far as ohms, it can be technical but just know that how you wire the subs effects the ohm load that the amp will run at. If you get 2 dual 4 ohm subs they can be ran at 1 ohm or 4 ohm. If you have 2 dual 2 ohm woofers they can be ran at 0.5 ohm and 2 ohm. On the above listed amps you would want to get 2 dual 4 ohm subwoofers to be able to run them at a 1 ohm load.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us