Username: Orangenut

ChristchurchNew zealand

Post Number: 1
My current speaker set up is:

pair of Sony 6" - 200w max, 40rms, 4ohms
pair of Sony 6x9" - 400w max, 100rms 4ohms
and a cheap pair of 1" tweeters 120w max, not sure of the rms
my head unit is also Sony - 52w x 4, not sure of the rms wattage on this either

First of all with this set up would I even need an amp? I'm not planning to be getting a sub as the 6x9's already have enough bass for my liking.

If an amp will make my sound system better what do I look for in an amp? I have read some posts and from what I've gathered I need a 4 channel amp to power the 6's and 6x9s, and then can I just run the small tweeters of the power of the head unit?

I need help with this guys, all advise welcome . As the title says im new to this, this is my first sound system I've done and i don't know what I'm doing haha.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12905
see if the sony head unit offers 3 pair of RCA pre-outs (F/R/S)
If so, get a 4 channel amp rated for 40-50 watts RMS per channel, with 4 channels, at 4 ohms.
That's what you want. Look for a decent amplifier maker. Sony is really about the worst car audio gear you can buy, so avoid them in the future, and if you're still not happy with the sound after getting an amp, try replacing teh speakers and radio with something better, like Focal or DLS speakers, and maybe an Alpine radio and amp.

ChristchurchNew zealand

Post Number: 2
I think I only have one rca out but it says sub/rear switchable on it, and yea I got the Sony stuff because it was very cheap and didn't seem too bad.

I did find a fusion reactor one for a good deal (is fusion a good brand?), which is 90w rms per channel at 4 ohms but you suggest a 40-50w one, would it be better to find one with lower watts? and also im over in new zealand and we don't really have a wide range to choose from, I've never seen anything from Focal or DLS.... stupid small countries.

ChristchurchNew zealand

Post Number: 3
ok i took out my head unit and took a photo of it coz i have no idea what the red one is, is it like tv rca where its just left and right? probably is, sorry for stupid question and from looking at this is it possible to connect a 4 channel amp to it? thanks for the help

Upload
Upload

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12914
white is left channel, red is right channel subwoofer outputs.
ideally you'd want a head unit without internal power, and just 3 pair of RCA line outputs if you want to run amplifiers for the whole system and not just to add subs.

the problem with units like yours is while you can add virtually unlimited power with amplifiers to drive your subs, you're still always going to be stuck at the head unit's 12 watts or so per channel for everything else (door speakers)
This means you'll always get a lot of distortion in the speakers that handle 70% of your audio (vocals) and they will always be horribly underpowered, leading to the bass washing out everything else. I've been in countless systems like this, and it's awful.

One thing people always remark on when they hear systems I've designed, is that the treble and vocals never get overpowered by the bass, even when there's enough bass to make it hard to breathe in the car.

That's how it should be.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12915
If you want decent brands for amplifiers, try Alpine, Orion, PPI (precision power Inc), sundown audio, audioque, and stuff like that. Avoid the stuff that seems too good to be true by being cheap.. it is too good to be true. You get what you pay for. amplifiers need a beefy power supply to handle sudden spikes in demand for power, and a good power supply costs money, it's heavy, and it makes all the difference.

For head units, look at alpine, pioneer, clarion pro audio, JVC arsenal, avoid sony and kenwood for everything.

ChristchurchNew zealand

Post Number: 4
ok i think i won't bother with an amp till i get a new headunit, then eventually replace my speakers, which kinda sucks but i had to learn somehow.

btw i found your website, awesome place learned a lot. thanks for helping out glasswolf.

ChristchurchNew zealand

Post Number: 5
oh and one last question, for a 4 channel amp do you need 2 sets of rca preouts and the 3rd is for a sub? or do you need all 3 sets for the 4 channel amp?

so when i do eventually get a new head unit would the Pioneer DEH-5250SD be good for what i want? or do you recommend spending a bit more to get say an Alpine CDA-105?

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12920
Either unit is good. See if you can find both in a store and play with them. See which you prefer.

You need 3 pair of RCAs total. one pair for front channels, one pair for rear channels, and one pair for subs.
The 4 channel amp needs 2 pair of RCA inputs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us