Opinions on AQ 1200d

Bronze Member
Username: Whatmh5

Post Number: 44
EDIT: I know there is another post similar to this below me, but I just wanted some more opinions...

You guys have opinions on the AQ1200d? I have heard great things, but i've also heard its mediocre at best.

The reason I ask is because I am getting a DC level 4 15, and I need a good solid amp.

Is the sundown 1000d a better choice? does sundown make a 1200d? Should I go that route?

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7582
hit kevin up on an rd 1000.1 or 1750.1 .. would be in the same budget and more power - http://carstereoforum.net/showthread.php?t=4430

and yes the sundown is a lot better choice over the aq

and yes aq is mediocre.. they are a budget amp and thats what you get

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
I wish i could, but the funds wont be here until the end of next month.

The sundown amps aren't all that much more expensive than the aq if i remember correctly?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Also, what is the most watts i should put on my 105 stock alt? Im thinking of paying a little more and getting either the sundown 1000d or the 1200d...im doing the real big 3, and 1 gauge to the back for the amp.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7585
ive put more on less.. and i'd take a zenon board amp any day over the aq

a lot of good stuff comes from overseas but aq is still mediocre at best

so yes.. sundown or the rd 1750.1 for $340 shipped new..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
are both the 1000d and 1200d zenon board amps?

I'm really liking that 1200..I could always take it easy and not turn the amp way up and my car should be fine...do you think my stock alt at 105 would survive?

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7586
i still think the RD 1750.1 is the better buy for the money..

isnt the 1200d like $315?

and yes both sundowns have a zenon board

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
I just feel like i would have to upgrade my alt with that rd1750.1, and i really don't want to replace it unless its completely necessary.

Someone told me that 1200wrms is the most you should run on a stock electrical system, and im doing the big 3..

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Hifonics 2607, Dc sounds idmax 12sq

Post Number: 13838
The new rd amps did have issues which those rd amps are the v2's the audioque is fine at 249 shipped

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7588
only the 3250.1 v2 had issues.

the 1000.1s and 1750.1s are still zenon boards. for the price the 1750.1 will blow the 1200.1 out of the water.

i love how everyone is on the AQ b0ner

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
So, after all this info has been said, would you guys go with the sundown 1200d (the 1000d is the same price on ssa and your not getting as much output, its a no brainer), or the aq 1200d which is 65 bucks less? Is that zenon board really worth it?

Platinum Member

Hifonics 2607, DcSounds12xl SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 13848
your getting more power with the rd but I will tell you if you have problems forget the owner getting back to you in a timely manner if ever....a good reason for an AQ bone r in this case

Bronze Member
Username: Bobby3342

Post Number: 31
the aq 1200d is a solid budget amp i own one i have it on 2 12 re se s it slams but i am looking to upgrade that amp will take a beating and keep on ticking aq has great customer service but as frkevin said there are better amps out there. but with a 105 amp alt im pretty sure correct me if im wrong guys but a 105 amp alt is not going to cut it with the rd 1750-1

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
Alright..I don't know if i should spend the extra 65 bucks to get the sundown 1200d instead of the aq 1200d...I while back I asked everyone what to get and they said the most my car could handle w/ stock electrical was 1200 watts...

The sundown producing 1200 watts at 12.8 volts is pretty impressive though..

Platinum Member

Hifonics 2607, DcSounds12xl SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 13850
bobby is right a 105 amp alt isnt going to handle a 1750 full tilt...sundown does make good amps stick to the v2's though....I will tell you though the dc lvl 4 will do better with more power than 1200 watts you would be better off with a dc sounds lvl 3 sub with 900 to 1000 watts set to it...they are still very musical and get loud too

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
I didn't think my alt could handle that. Why do you say that sean? You think a dc level 3 15 w/ 1000 watts will be louder than a level 4 15 w/ 1200 watts?
I know overpowering subs can be louder, but overpowering the sub will also shorten the life span of the woofer correct?

Wouldn't you have to be careful giving a lvl 3 that much? I want to be able to turn the knob alllll the way and not worry about problems with my subwoofer.

I feel like turning the knob(remote knob for the amp) all the way with a lvl 3 could cause clipping and woofer damage.

Platinum Member

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 13855
my brother is on team dc and he bought a lvl 3 and just put it in on a audioque 3500.1 at 4 ohms and that sub slammed and was very clean I was so impressed how it just refused to break up distortion wise and it was a 12... honestly with your alt you might only get by with 800 rms and still be able to supply your vehicles basic electrical needs. The dc subs in general handle more than they are rated esp when you get into the level 4's. With your power I have no doubt the level 3 15 would be best....give it all of the 800 watts and dont worry one bit....trust me with my brother being on team dc ive heard lvl2's to lvl 5's and got to see what really makes these subs wang.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
Ok, would I gain any watts by doing the 1/0 big 3?

Also, if i got the level 4, i could always get another amp or sell the one i have and get a larger one. With the level 3, you have to sell both the sub and amp..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13856
you would gain a little by doing the big 3....the lvl 4 is a good bit beefier of a sub so in that respect I cant blame you.... if you want to make that sub wang on more power get a 1500 watt amp and get an upgrade on the lvl 4 sub...level 4 15 with level 5 coils that will up the power handling and the sub will have a suspension to take the extra power and it will wang.....if you get a upgraded alt

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
Yeah I really don't want to upgrade my alt...The overall cost is already close to 900 without wiring (custom box, lvl 4 15 (maybe), and the aq 1200d or sundown 1200d v2)..And I'd have to get a new battery..wiring, etc...and i really dont want this sh!t to get stolen either..

Would a better idea be to get a smaller sub, with less power, and do some frontstage work?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13857
you know what you make a good point you will want some of that power for front stage so yes id just step down to a lvl 3 15........if you dont want it stolen get an alarm.... cdt's would be good components

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13858
battery wise I know just what to hook you up with....what kind of car do you have

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13859
if your willing to spend 249 for a battery we can get you into larger amps easy just put one of these in the trunk wired with your front battery

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13860
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850131000P?mv=rr

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
Yeah; this is my first setup though..

Would I just wire that battery straight to my battery and run the amp off the battery in the back?

Decisions Decisions Decisions..

Oh, I have a 2000 Impala ls

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13861
yes....and I know what kind of room those impalas have you have plenty of room for that MONSTER battery..........its the same as a Odyssey 2150 battery because they are made by Odyssey and just rebadged for sears and its $100 cheaper than the 2150

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Hmm...alright. Well, I think Im still gonna get the Lvl 4 15, probably the sundown 1200d (because its been tested at over 1500 watts), and the good old custom box. After that, I will definitely look into getting that battery. Just how big is this battery? Do you have it? Will I not need to get an alt if go this route?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13863
yeah get the level 4 if you plan on getting this battery and the sundown 1200d and no you wont need a new alt with it

heres the dimensions of the battery

Height: 9-1/2 in.
Width: 6-4/5 in.
Length: 13 in.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Dang thats a HUGE battery...1/0 for sure

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13864
haha its well worth the money...I bought a lower line that fits in my battery tray under the hood but I plan on buying that battery next for in my trunk because im going to run 5200 watts to two dc 12xl's for spl contests

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
Nice. Make sure to post some vids/pics of it when its finished!

Thanks for the help sean

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13865
it will be a couple of months till i get it all but I will

your welcome

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
I know this thread has been dormant for awhile, but I have another quick question and I feel that making an entire new thread just to ask a simple question is the wrong thing to do.

So, is 12g wire sufficient to connect the sub to the amp? amp is 1200-1500w..

EDIT: I lied, 2 questions..

Im going to buy some 1/0 from knukonceptz, and I was wondering how big of a fuse to buy for the run to the back.

Thanks!

Username: Mlstrass

Illinois

Post Number: 1
12g should be fine.

AQ is far from mediocre.....and I wouldn't spend a dime with RD after the steve miller fiasco.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
sean, i am taking your early advice and getting a dc level 3 and wiring it 2 ohms from an aq 1200d. This way it will be seeing 710 watts as said by aq's website. I dont want to gamble with my cars electrical system, and this way i can save a little bit more to work on front stage.
Big thanks for the idea sean.

Bronze Member

Illinois

Post Number: 26
BIG3 and a decent batt should be enough to power the AQ1200 @ 1ohm as the amps are pretty efficient.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13528
http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/charging.html
http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/big3.htm

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
Glasswolf, do you agree with my choice?
I don't want to be "pulling" more watts than my alt can "push" out for ALL of my electrical needs.

I understand that mlstrass, but I also want to get a new amp to power all speakers, @ around 100watts @ 4 ohms per channel.
Glasswolf, I have read both of those articles in the past and i plan on re-reading them before I start my install. Esp. for the big 3.

Bronze Member

Illinois

Post Number: 27
Comp amp will draw very little compared to the sub amp. And even the sub amp will only draw a lot when playing rap that drops low and has a pretty constant bass line...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13537
Matt, I've updated that page on charging systems to discuss current draw with daily use systems. It may be worth rading.
If you're worried about exceeding the output of the alternator, then don't turn the volume up high enough to cause the voltage rails to sag and the amps to subsequently clip, or upgrade the charging system. It's really that simple.

Mistrass, if you want a quality amp, look at Sundown. RD has had some big QA issues of late.

Bronze Member

Illinois

Post Number: 28
Wouldn't take RD if you gave it to me. RD had major owner issues up until a few months ago when Steve disappeared

I've owned 8 SD amps, still have a 1500 and 100.2. Currently have 9 AQ amps and for the $$$ they're hard to beat.

Will take a beating daily, even at .5ohm and will wire down to .25ohm for burps

Bronze Member

Illinois

Post Number: 29
wife's car has a 15" FI Q, SD 1500 and 75x4 amp for the comps/coax's.

No BIG3, stock batt in rear, and stock alt. On rock music I can play it full tilt with no dimming. On rap it'll dim pretty bad, but only at 3/4 volume or higher and she never plays it that loud.

I picked up an AQ1200 to swap out for the SD, but haven't had time yet.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13539
yeah minimum load ratings on amps aren't really a fixed figure, to be honest. It depends on duration, too since the impedance presented by inductive loads fluctuates quite a bit anyway. When a speaker plays frequencies at or near it's Fs, your impedance can drop to as low as the driver's DCR, for example.

oops, thought I saw ya mention RD, but apparently that was Jack or Matt. sorry

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
Nope, no mention of RD from me.
You have many articles left for me to read glasswolf, but I mostly understand the charging system. I believe my alt is 105 amps, but i do NOT want to upgrade it. Would you recommend getting the lvl 3 15 and run it at 2 ohms with 700ish watts or the lvl 4 and run the amp at 1 ohm with 1200 watts...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13548
you can really go either route. Just run the system at columes that don't cause the lights to dim, and voltage rails to sag. If that happens, back off the volume a bit till it stops. That's really the key with any setup.

pretty simple solution, and it;s free!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
haha, thanks glass. But, i do in-fact value your imput. Which would YOU choose and why? I know you have different opinions and such, but I would like to hear which you would choose and why?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13553
bigger is better with an amplifier if you know how to tune it so that even if it's got more power than you need, it won't damage anything.

I'd go with the bigger amp, and that way you have more headroom, and more reserve power, and eventually when you can upgrade the electrical system to support the amp, you'll have the power there to make the upgrade worth the price and time. I like to overengineer things, though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
I was sorta thinking the same thing. I too, overengineer things; maybe thats why im going to school to become an engineer?
haha, thanks for the imput glass and mlstrass.
back to original plans, gotta update dustin about the plan.

btw glass, i was going to buy the same amp regarless and wire the lvl 3 to 2 ohms and the lvl 4 to 1 ohm..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14160
ahh I see your going to try both subs now

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
Haha, wheres the build log sean?
I think im just going with the level 4. I hope all turns out well, i can always take it easy for awhile until i can feed the amp without restraint.
Im not literally feeding the amp though,

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14169
the guy I was going to get the dc subs from backed out so now I bought an audioque hdc 12 to compete in the smaller classes....I still need to buy an amp since I sold the hifonics 2600 I had
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us