Sub wiring question: 2 ohm, 8 ohm, or 4 ohm stereo?

I have a dual coil premier 800 watt sub (12") i have each coil hooked to the amp on a seperate channel. should i bridge the amp and wire the coils in parallel? or leave in on the two seperate channels?

MEXXX
I am going to assume a couple of things from lack of description.I assume that the sub has dual 4 ohm coils and the amp is class AB 2 ohm stereo stable 4 ohm mono stable.From my assumptions I would have to say leave it the way it is unless you plan on turning your amp into a George Foreman grill.

tot
Unregistered guest
can i get a 2 ohm load off of dual 4 ohm subs?

Ervis
Unregistered guest
I have two 10inch 450 watts pioneer subs and a 1200 watts 2channel legacy amp. The subs are 4ohms and the amp is 2 ohm stable. Right now I have them running on separate channels but I wanted to know if I would be getting more power if I bridge the amp and run the subs parallel.

jay amaro
Unregistered guest
to "ervis" yes you would get more power if the amp can handle the load or more correctly the lowered resistance load of 2 ohms. if you wired your 2 subs that are 4 ohm in parallel your power handling would stillbe 450 watts though and the legacy amp im almost certain is not a true rms rated amp and so its really a 600 watt amp and into 2 channels that means under your current conditions your putting about 300 watts per channel to each sub so if you bridge the amp you'd put 600 into one channel and also both paralleled subs that can handle only 450 watts total and that probably wouldnt be a good idea.
i mean no offense to your amp but if you plan to listen to your music loud and really drive those 10's i would think at certain times even briefly your amp might get in that 1200 watt range and that is definitely not good for your subs.
however the way you have it now is probably the best balance to power and limits for what you have...id leave it just like it is unless you get different rated subs.
and now for "tot" im not sure if you have 2 different 4 ohm subs or 1 sub with 2 4ohm voice coils but either way its exactly the same to wire 4 ohm drivers into a 2 ohm configuration.
yes you can do it and all you have to do is parallel them by connecting both (+) wires of your subs and both (-) together each going into your amp and basically they will be wired up exactly the same as each one thereby dropping your ohm load in half.
just make sure your amp can handle it and that if your using 2 seperate drivers that they are 4 ohms and if its a dual voice coil sub then make sure it has 2 4 or 8 ohm voice coils and not 2 2 ohm coils which will turn into 1 ohm and that would be bad for your amp unless you bought an amp specifically rated for 1 or even 1/2 an ohm but youll know it since they are pretty costly.
jay

Unregistered guest
i just purchased this new rt audio amp the buyer said it has only been on the market for about three months, it's made buy jl audio, what do you suggest i drive with it, its one channel 2000 watts and 900 rms at 1 ohm?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us