Mono VS 2 channel amp

Bronze Member
Username: Mukinfutch

TN

Post Number: 13
I'm currently interested in buying a pair of 10'' kicker compCVT subwoofers based upon the space i have in my chevy crew cab (5 1/16 mounting depth). The only problem is that the two subs listed above are 2 ohm single voice coils so my wiring options are limited. As a result im trying to figure out if it is cheaper/better to buy a 2 channel amp and run 2 ohms per channel or run a mono amp at 4 ohms in series.

Im really stuck in a dilema and any help would be appreciated. :-)

Username: Jmartin2323

Cleveland, Ohio United States

Post Number: 6
A 2 channel amplifier is going to perform its best at 2ohms per channel as most all 2 channel amps are stable at 2 ohms. Purchasing a mono amp and running it a 4 ohms would be a waste of money because these are often more expensive and perform best at a 1ohm load. You would need to purchase a large mono amp in order to get sufficient power at 4 ohms. conclusion: 2 channel :-)

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 414
If you have single voice coil 2 ohm woofers, wiring them together is going to create a one ohm load. Either way you go will be alright. Take your budget into consideration, look for a good brand and go from there. Whichever you can find for the better deal, go with it. I'd suggest a mono block though, but that's just me.

Username: Jmartin2323

Cleveland, Ohio United States

Post Number: 10
i retract my last post and change what i said... go with a mono. i misread and YES your single 2ohm voice coils wired in parallel will go to 1 ohm. perfect for a mono block amp. more expensive but you will be happier. Mono block it is

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12658
simple answer.
get a 1 ohm stable mono sub amp (class D) and use that
(a lot of these are on the market now.)

Username: Pureaudio90

Post Number: 3
def.go with a mono block amp.they r the best kind you can get for two subs.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12670
well, stereo vs mono doesn't matter much, unless you already have the speakers. Then it's just a matter of matching the amplifier to the pre-determined load presented by the speaker(s)

most car audio monoblok amps are class-D which is the most efficient, for sure, but it's also got the highest distortion levels, and class D is very limited in the frequency range it can handle. This is mostly not a factor though with subs, since humans can't really hear distortion in subs in a car till at least the 10% range for THD.

Personally, I'm using a class AB 2-channel amp to drive my sub.

Bronze Member

TN

Post Number: 14
Thank you for your help. I have decided on the class D mono amp because of availability. However, does anyone know any decent amplifier brands for less than $200 ? used is definitely an option. I was currently looking at the sound-stream& planet audio series.(are they overrated?)

-Here is a refurbished amp i found
http://cgi.ebay.com/PLANET-AUDIO-1800-WATT-CLASS-D-MONO-AMPLIFIER-CAR-2000_W0QQitemZ380218564441QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Amplifiers?hash=item5886cadf59

Bronze Member

TN

Post Number: 15
here is another amp im considering
http://cgi.ebay.com/PLANET-AUDIO-VX900D-900w-RMS-CLASS-D-MONO-CAR-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitemZ350333302865QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Amplifiers?hash=item51917df851

Ive also looked into autotek which is abnormally cheap and US amps
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us