Amp cuts out at high volume

Username: Sleste8

Shelbyville, MI United States

Post Number: 3
i bought these 2 12" L7's new in 2006, i also bought a cheap legacy predator amp off ebay. the giant orange one. it said it was like 4000 watts but i new it was probably more like 700-900. anyways its ben pushed hard every day since but now the amp turns off at high volumes. sumtimes even at low volumes.

it doesnt go into protect, it just turns off and eventually comes back on.

i no its not my wireing because i recently put in 2 MTX 9512's and an old soundstream van gogh 1600.2 and had no problems atall.

is it the cheapo amp, or could it be one or both of my L7's????

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12546
the subs are most likely fine.
turn the gain on the amp down. it shouldn't need to be set any higher than one-quarter of a turn up from minimum, which is 1/4 turn clockwise.

it sounds like the amp is clipping and shutting off.

I also can't find ANY data on that amp that says if those ratings are RMS or peak.. not even on Legacy's site.
*rolls eyes*

with the 2 50A fuses though, it would only be able to put out 1Kw continuous without melting those fuses.

Post Number: 4
first of all, thanks for the reply. seems how im new here nobody wants to help me out. lol
and its good to here the subs are fine. because when i bought them in 2006 they were 399 each!!

the amp is the legacy predator LA-2268

just checked the gain and i had it set at 1/2 way

but could u explain what you mean buy 2 50A fuses?

Post Number: 5
i have 1/0 g wireing with a 250 Amp fuse.

i wish i would of tried the van gogh on the L7's
b4 i sold it...

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12559
eh, I'm not a fan of square subs. particularly kicker's.
the amp's spec sheet said it has two 50 amp maxi-fuses built into it. As such, on a class D amp, it can't draw more than 100A of current at about 80% efficiency for any prolonged period without blowing those two fuses. 100A @ 80% efficiency @ 12VDC is 1Kw.

That amp is severely overrated, and honestly it probably produces maybe a quarter of it's stated power, if that. It also lacks a beefy power supply to have a lot of reserve for transient demands.

Good amplifiers are expensive, and heavy. There's no getting around that. Cheaper amps take shortcuts to save on cost, both in sales, and in production.

The amps I use were $1599 each if I recall, back in 1990 (figure that with 20 years of inflation for value today) and while they're rated @ 250 watts per channel x 2 @ 4 ohms, each one weighs about 20+ pounds. The price and weight are mostly a reflection of the power supply used in these things, which can allow the amps to crank out about 1500 watts RMS bridged @ 2 ohms.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
yeah, thats what i figured. but i got 4 years out of it. and for $150.00 it was worth it

what do you think of my amp i had running my solo x 18? (b4 it blew)
its a pioneer premier PRS-D2000SPL class D mono
it weighs 20 pounds, it does 2000 watts continuous at 1ohm (at 14.4 volts) do you think its good, or did i get hosed on that one too??

and should i call it quits on that predator? i already took it out

thanks

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12571
I haen't used that particular Pioneer amp, but I have used a lot of their gear, and it's always been decent stuff. As for that Predator, you mihgt want to look at a different amp. Even if it's a smaller amp, try it and see if it cures the problems with shutting off.
That'd tell you where the trouble is at least.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
good to know the pioneer amp is guna last me, and what amp would be good for those L7's?

i want something that's guna last at high volumes

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12588
Personally, I like Kicker and MTX amps. The Kicker KX1000.1 is a good amp for the L7.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
ill probably have to buy one towards the end of the summer, the L7's are for the winter and the 18 and PRS's are for the summer.

i guess i have to work on one thing at a time.

but first things probably guna have to be that HO alt hugh?

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12604
good plan.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us