Having some power issues!!!

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 257
Ok,i recently replaced my stock battery with a dry cell(red top). Ever since i did this I have been having issues. Lights dimming,music cutting out on low bass notes,alt belt squilling on low bass notes. I have checked all connections an everything is nice a tight an where it should be. Questions:
1.Im running 800wrms on a 90amp alt,is doing the big 3 on my stock alt going to help at all?
2.Is the battery to big for my alt to charge maybe?
3.Would adding another battery help?
4. Im thinking of getting rid of the car next spring,so i realy dont wanna put the money into a ho alt. Might there be something else i could try?
Id appreciate any help on this,thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11005
What you can do is turn the volume down until you get a car you can put a bigger alternator in.

Ever heard the phrase no replacement for displacement? No replacement for alternator power. Same thing.

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 303
big 3 is a good idea any way. more battery's = need for more alt, if the belt is "squilling" it sounds like its loose or dieing.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11007
More battery capacity does not hurt anything. But it won't solve his problem either.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 304
its also been argued that more batterys = more strain on the alt, at least thats what every one has been saying.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 258
I checked it and the belt is acually pretty tight. It may be my alt just slowly dying. I just dont understand why my problems started after i put a better batt in there!? With the stock batt i never had any issues. So a big 3 upgrade on a stock alt is benifical? If i do decide to replace the alt,what would you guys suggest? I did some looking an i couldnt find one for a good price. Its a 04 dodge neon w/2.0.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22434
Big 3 will always help over stock wiring. How old is the car?

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 305
^^ he said 04

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12499
the amp is drawing up to about 60A of current. that isn't leaving a lot for the rest of your car.

if that 800 watts is a class AB amp, you're drawing even more current.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 260
Yea,the cars an 04. Its a class d mono amp too. So what your saying is my amp is drawing 60A out of my 90a alt? If thats the case no wonder im having problems. As for the big 3 upgrade,why would bigger wire make a difference on a stock alt? Just asking... With an alt so small,its not going to be able to produce more current right?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22438
Produce more no. Save through efficiency in your wires yes. Less resistance means more power to where it was intended.

kinda like a truck traveling on a bumpy road as opposed to a smooth one, both a mile long.

But ya, that alt won't give you much to begin with. Seeing as you're ditching the car soon anyway a big 3 is a cheaper start. Just tone down your music I guess?

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 261
Also,im using 4ga wire. If i were to do the big 3 would i use 4ga for the upgrade or a 0ga? And if i were to use 0ga would i have to upgrade my 4ga wiring too?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22439
Check out these carts and compare the distances needed in your wire.

But I would use 1/0 ga for all big 3 jobs.

http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 262
Ok,thanks for the advice paul. I seen in another thread you were selling wire. I may be needing some,If you still have some available.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22440
Sure do. Red or blue 1/0ga for only $2.30/ft shipped. I have no terminals though.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 264
Ok,roughly how much do you think i would need for the upgrade? And what teminals an such would i need?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22441
For your big 3? Depends on the car. Check the distances from the batt, alt and ground. Some can do it with only 8' or so while others use 12'. And half a dozen or so of good 1/0ga ring terminals is a good start. I gave a decent link in another thread for terminals at about $1/ea. Also, are you going to be adding to or replacing your existing wire?

Here ya go.

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/SFV/30046/vpid/1547162/vpcsid/0/rid/123284

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12509
I should clarify.. your amp CAN draw up to 60A at full output.

At lower listening volumes, you're drawing much less of course, since every time you halve the volume, it's approximately a tenfold drop in power consumption, to a point, as the power supply is always going to draw *some* power when it's energized.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 265
Paul,Im going to get some of that red 1/0ga off of you i just need to check exactly how much im going to need. I dont know if i need to replace my 4ga,but i feel like maybe i should. Also for my battery terminals,would i need something like this http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?category=Battery%20Terminals ? I just want to make sure i have everything i need when i start on this. Thanks again for the help

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22451
You can get one of those battery terminal kits if you wish but you're still gonna need some ring terminals. Look around for the best price. Some places want to get $4 a piece while other are far cheaper. Just let me know about the wire and when.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12528
www.parts-express.com

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 271
Checking over my wires to get an idea of how much i need. Both the grounds will be easy,but now the power wire doesnt run to the alt,its going to what may be the solinoid idk? Its running to a wierd shaped red cover and also has another small wire clipped onto it. The other power wire just goes to the fuse box. Anybody know how im going to replace this? I dont want to get in there and start screwing things up.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12562
wiring an amplifier?
run the positive line from the amp or power distribution block straight to the positive terminal of your car battery. use an in-line fuse to protect the car in case it shorts. prevents you from starting a fire that way.

ground the amp close to where it's mounted, straight to the chassis somewhere. sand the paint away from wehre you bolt the ground wire down. makes for a clean solid connection.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12563
oh, and the third, small wire coming from the amp should go to the radio's REM or PWR ANT line, which triggers the amp to turn on with the radio. this is a low current 12V line, so it doesn't need to be large.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 272
This is wire for my big 3 upgrade(sorry i should have clarified).

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 391
You can run a positive directly from the alt to the positive terminal of the battery. Leave the stock wires be. I just did the upgrade, using the wire Paul sold me and it made a nice difference in my voltage staying up. I picked up 1/0 ring terminals at a local audio shop for $3 a piece. I had a hard time finding a decent deal online. If you can find a good deal on a 1/0 amp kit I'd say go ahead and run new wires to your amp. The wire Paul is selling is good stuff, very flexible. I ordered ten feet and honestly I may have only used 5 foot of it. My negative connections were right underneath my battery and my alt was maybe a 3 foot run to my battery.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 274
How do i find where to run the wire to on the alt? The power wire thats on there now doesnt run directly to the alt. It looks like it runs to the solinoid and from there i have no clue. The alt is kinda hard to get to or to even see.

Platinum Member

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12575
that's probably your voltage regulator if it's an external Vreg.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 394
Somewhere on there, there should be a bolt with an 8 guage wire running to it. It may be covered with a plastic cap. Under it will be your bolt to connect to.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 398
Kind of like this..

Upload

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 275
Ok, im going to have to take a closer look at mine. I wish my alt was in front like that. Yours turned out realy nice man. I see what you meant about using the side posts. I have the same battery just a bit smaller. I may do it the same way. Thanks for the help
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us