Box for 15" Fi SSD

Bronze Member
Username: Stubbs563

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 23
So I decided to change it up and stop waiting on the new Q's even though with my luck they will be on the website tomorrow lol. But I ordered my Fi SSD today, and was just wondering about Kerf ports vs regular ports and any other ideas some people could give me.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5434
So your looking for enclosure ideas?

Kerfed ports increase air flow efficiency in the port but are mainly used for looks since there is no major audible difference. If done right it can be a couple tenths louder on the TL but still, that's not noticeable.

Bronze Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 25
Yes I am looking for ideas, ill be putting this into a 98 passat. We did figure out that i could fit a 15" so just trying to get some good box options going through my head so I can finish that before the SSD arrives :-)

Alright, i was just wondering about kerf becuase a buddy of mine said it would make it "louder" and would beable to get the "most" out of my woof.

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 298
i am useing aero ports for my box there supost to be alsom

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 11846
^^What the hell is alsom?

I doubt you'll be able to hear any sort of difference between the two. Good choice on sub in the SSD. I loved mine. Tune the box to 32-33hz.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16075
save urself alot of work & mdf dust from doing the kerfing & simply get 2 4" aeroports from parts express

the box will be smaller than a slot port too ...

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 362
I kinda want to try a kerfed port T-line box for an 8 just so i can say i did it lol. i think that would be pretty cool.

but to stay on topic, the only real advantage of a kerf port will be the look ot it. and like dustin said, you might gain a tenth or so. the negatives are that it is harder to do, it takes up a bit more room and its not really worth it, unless you really just want to try out something new.

Bronze Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 26
Well considering this will be my first box... haha it wouldn't really be "something new" a regular slot is "new". For me anyway. But I think considering everyone agrees that it a) doesn't produce thaattt much more, b) way harder, and c) not really worth it lol i will stick with a slot port.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5440
If this is your first time working with wood and constructing an enclosure, I advise not to try a kerfed port unless someone who has experience cutting kerfs is helping you. One little mistake or one cut too deep (on the kerf) cracks the mdf.

Silver Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 982
i read this yesterday and couldnt figure out what he meant by "alsom"
reading it again today i realized that he meant "awesome"
im sure everyone already figured that out though

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Twp., MI United States

Post Number: 1379
Go with the aero ports like rovin said.

Bronze Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 27
I have a couple buddies that are pretty experienced with kerfs and i think im just going to stick with a slot or the aeros.

But when installing the aero ports, wouldnt my circles that i cut in the box have to be pretty much perfect?

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 307
meh

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 364
^ that. cut it out a bit tight then you can work it down with sandpaper so it fits really well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us