Kicker L7 ported box

Username: Zersetzen

Orlando, Florida USA

Post Number: 1
I want to build a new box for my Kicker L7's. I have a 06 Mustang. What I am thinking of doing is molding the back of the box out of fiberglass inside the drunk. I know it need to be strong and it will be. The questions I have are:

1. Does the shape of the box matter at all? I want to form the back to the shape of the trunk.

2. How would I figure out what the internal airspace of the finished box is when the shape of the box so irregular?

3. Does the port need to be in the trunk or can I face the port up and through the old stock speaker locations?

Thanks for all your help.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 364
The shape of the box doesn't so much matter as the over all internal cubic feet of the box. To find the internal volume it is going to take some math. If you have straight sides you could use trig to determine the angles and there for the volume of a given area, then adding it to the other area(s) of the box. If you don't want to be so exact, you could get as close as you could possible. I would just have the port firing into the trunk, just make sure there is plenty of room so there is no air way constriction.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12454
1. no
2. use water or sand or similar material to fill the box, then measure the material used once it's filled by removing the material and pouring it into a demarcated container.
3. through the package shelf is fine. the port just needs to be unobstructed for at least half the diameter of the driver in the enclosure on both sides (inside and out)

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22417

quote:

2. How would I figure out what the internal airspace of the finished box is when the shape of the box so irregular?

I would use packing peanuts. Much cleaner to handle. Simply fill it using a standard measuring container. Empty gallon paint can perhaps? I wouldn't worry about the denseness of the material used for measuring the volume as it will (roughly) take up as much space in the paint can as the box. Problem is finding enough peanuts lol. I personally keep mine that come in boxes of stuff I buy. With as much shipping I do it comes in handy and certainly gets reused/recycled.

Username: Zersetzen

Orlando, Florida USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks. Can you tell me the best size ported box to have for a single L7? Ive seen everything from 2 - 3 1/4 sq. Also, how would I go about tuning the box? Thanks again
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us