Ported or Sealed?

Username: Frankiehockey

Post Number: 1
I am looking into purchasing an
Alpine - 500W Class D Mono MOSFET Amplifier with Adjustable Crossover along with a Alpine - 12" Dual-Voice-Coil 4-Ohm Subwoofer. (will be purchasing these from bestbuy and will have their squad install it)

Was wondering what would be more suitable for these, a ported box or sealed?

Im not very experienced in the car audio category but i've read up on as much information as i can.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5426
Depends on what model the alpine's are. E's? R's?

And why don't you install it yourself, saves alot of money and it's not hard at all.

Post Number: 2
It is Type R.

Once i pick them up from the store i will figure out if i am able to install it myself.
Like i said, i have no past knowledge of this stuff

Gold Member

Post Number: 5427
I would go ported with the R. Do not buy a pre-fab ported enclosure though.

Post Number: 3
Would this box be ok?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Atrend+-+12%22+Single+Ported+Subwoofer+Enclosure+-+C harcoal/9026868.p?id=1218009783153&skuId=9026868

Gold Member

Post Number: 5428
No. Like I said, do not buy ported pre-fabricated enclosures. They are poorly made and are usually tuned way too high for daily driving listening. Get a custom enclosure made. I do custom enclosures if your interested.

Post Number: 4
Yes.
How would i go about buying it?

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 285
you email him, then take some mesurments with a tape measure then decide how you want your box to look like then you give him money then u get an amazing box.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5430
haha. Thanks Charles.

Frank -- You want an enclosure that is build to the specs of the driver (woofer) so that you get the most out of it. My email is in my profile if your interested. We can talk about it there.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 346
If you're looking to save money I'd suggest shopping online. I know for a fact a new type R online is going for $115. I just priced some for a friend of mine. He picked a gently used one up online already in a ported enclosure for $71 + shipping. The amp I'm sure will be cheaper as well. Great choice in product though, I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 321
get a dual 2
don't let best buy install it. they will most likely phuck something up and/or overcharge you
buy online. try sonic electronix: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/
get a custom ported box.
install it yourself. You will gain experience and most likely save a TON of money. We can help you along the way so as you don't mess anything up.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16065
i u are concern with musical accuracy & just want some clean bass to blend in with ur music then go sealed

if u want it a bit loud then go ported

let us know the specs of either box ur about to buy b4 u hand over the $ ...

Post Number: 5
Thanks for all the input guys, ill go with the ported. ill get it custom made too which is what many people have told me to do.

Oh and thankyou for that site Smith. The Alpine SWR-1242D type-R Sub i am going to purchase is $100 cheaper on sonicelectronix.com than Best Buy.

Im also going to purchase the Alpine MRP-M500 Amp. Would this be suitable for the Type-R sub? or should i go with the Alpine MRP-M1000?

Ill take the advice and attempt to install it myself. Some experience will be good and saving the $80 Best Buy's squad would charge to install it sounds great.

Im putting all this into a 2010 Maxima

Bronze Member
Username: Feleja

Hamilton, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 17
if ur only buying 1 sub the m500 should be enough for it
but if ur getting 2 buy the m1000

Bronze Member
Username: Jay_boy

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 49
As little as I know, I know don't buy from BESTBUY when you can get the same stuff brand new for up to 1/3 less and you don't even have to waste your gas to get it. They will bring it right to your door. Usually no shipping cost or tax.

As for installation, I had this JL certified place in Henrietta NY called the Stereo Shop install my stuff. I was afraid of messing up something after all I spent to get it. However, I think that they didn't really care too much about the install cuz I didn't buy the stuff from them but I paid 1500 on line and at their store it would have been 2400. See the HUGE difference?

Just punch the amp and speaker info in ebay and select the ordering of items to be lowest to high and start browsing. You will see what I mean.

Bronze Member
Username: Jay_boy

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 50
Oh yeah, and even the box can be purchased online. Just as Bassman3 said, you need a box built to the specs of that particular woofer. Makes a huge difference. The box is argued by many to be more important than the woofer itself. Whether it is or not, all agree that is very important to you sound. Good luck and I love the Maxima
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us