How do I increase the volts to the amplifier

Bronze Member
Username: Jay_boy

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 35
Many of you are familiar with my ignorance. I have jl HD 750/1 running 2 8w7s sealed. I want to continue to use my stock HU. I plan next week to put in a MTX RE Q so that the bass will not diminish when the vol. in increased. (unless I get adverse feedback)

Now that they are broken in and I face them to the rear of the trunk, they sound much better.

How do I increase the volts??????
I "believe" that the volts are low (amp is sometimes hot) Inc. in volts would be better for the amp and also increase the RMS output. (from what I've read)
Also, where does the amplifier get the volts? Is it from the HU, battery, alternator or combination thereof?
Should I get another battery for run them in series? Upgrading the alternator is going to be expensive and I don't think it is necessary but I don't know what to do so please advise

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 281
If I remember correctly jl uses a power supply that once it reaches the voltage it wants it just stays there, so yah.... now under volting it would p1ss it off. get red of your stock battery, get I nice high ah batt, the alt in your car is only made to supply your car stock with everything running, so that's a big thing you do need to upgrade, usually before your nice battery, do your big 3, stock wiring sucks, if you really wanted to have a good ground run another run of 4ga or 0ga wire from front to back, the car is held to gather with welds that don't make amazing grounds. but if you want more volts it's much more expencive because you would haft to run a 16v system which means new battery new atl, odd electrical equipment, and your amp may not be good for more than ~15v any way so you might just kill it. all things to keep in mind. Just shoot for ~13.8-14.4v and try and stay there.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 344
The slash series amps do their rated rms from 11.5 volts to 14.4 volts. It's best to stay above 12 volts minimum. If your amp is getting hot make sure its in a place where it isnt covered and make sure the gain isnt set too high. One cheap fix to help stablize voltage is going to be upgrading the big 3. You're not going to get any more power out of your current amp if you some how increased the voltage. It may run cooler but thats about it. Upgrading your alt shouldn't be neccesary with 750 rms.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10999
If there are no problems with the amp right now, it will not change a thing, you may as well leave everything as is. A regulated power supply amplifier will not produce any more power with higher input voltage.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4336
If u run your batts in series, you will have a 24 volt system.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 284
^big no no^

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 348
lol

Bronze Member

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 36
Isn't it the volts from the Stock HU that may not be enough? Doesn't aftermarket HUs produce more volts? Therefore, the stock HU is not going to give enough "volts"?

also, my lights dim when the amp is pumping bass. Alt I believe is 75 amps. I will try the big 3 upgrade first.

I would like clarification on the above situation please.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 286
Well if you are using a live converter (speaker wire in (boxish thing) rca cables out) so that could be just as easy as turning a knob on that (if u break something I am not liable) but that would give your amp more voltage from the rca's.

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 319
Try big 3.
Line driver possibly?
Upgrade to Aftermarket Head Unit.
Upgrade your stock battery.

What vehicle is this?
What gauge power wire?

And M.S. is right, the only thing you will accomplish by doing all this will be making your amp run cooler.

Bronze Member

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 37
2009 elantra. don't know the power wire gauge.

Bronze Member

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 38
OK. Riddle me this you audio Gurus. What is the difference between the volts that the alternator/battery supplies to the amp and the volts the HU supplies to the amp? If you are guessing, say so.

Bronze Member
Username: Delmerdearlsmith

Dirty South, Of Confusion US of A

Post Number: 13
Kinetik akes two post battery one side is 12volts the other side is 16 volts...you can wire he 12volt side to your car and the 16 volt side to your amp to get more power....

Bronze Member

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 40
Delmer, will this make my system louder? I'm using a stock HU.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3460
Wtf!

Never listen to Delmer JasonP.

Bronze Member

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 41
OK. My stock HU doesn't put out enough power to the amplifier, therefore I am going to put in an MTX REQ5 and a line driver. Does it matter which line driver? Audiopipe has a mulit driver for $20 that inc 12db, others have bass boost (does this matter?), and yet another is only $13 and yet another that says it increases by 18db. Does it make much difference which I use? Perhaps the multi is best because I plan to add another amp later for door speakers.

Bronze Member

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 42
I found a line driver PAC-LD 10 that boost the signal 10x and puts out up to 10 volts!! All others say 4 volts. This one is $25.99. Is 10v harmful? Good? Bueller? Bueller? lol

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Worlds gunna end, In 2012

Post Number: 4229
dude jasonP disregard every post that delmarfudge guy makes. don't even read them just go on to the next post

Bronze Member

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 43
OK. I get it. Thanks. Delmar, you have really upset some people w/your comments. I thought I wrote some ignorant things but guess you are the KING. lol

However, I did see a phoenix gold 2 channel (don't know what they mean by 2 channel, please clarify) 8 volt. It is $30. Seems like the best one, however, maybe just the best ad. IDK so please give me some feedback on the line driver situation.

Bronze Member
Username: Delmerdearlsmith

Dirty South, Of Confusion US of A

Post Number: 24
They just mad cause they don't know what they are talking about...but this is the way to go...It will charge off your stock alternator but feed your amp 16v's instead of 12v's increased voltage means increased power...if this link works you can see what I'm talking about..if not copy and paste it.....A lot of my friends with big systems do this and its a noticeable gain.....

http://www.batterycentralmall.com/Batteries/Kinetik_Racing-Battery/KR2416.html

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 287
only one problem his amp wont do any thing with extra power and you need a new altanator to charge at ~17v-18v to charge the 16v system so the only thing this does is give him a new battery, at witch point just get a 90-110ah battery and be done with it. really all you need is a battery and an after market head unit (a niceish one) and it will save you a lot of head acks.

Bronze Member

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 44
I can't change the HU (personal reasons). Therefore I'm putting in the mtx req5 (cure the bass cutoff issue) and a line charger (cure the lack of volts issue). Please try to help me out here.

1) a) IS THE LINE CHARGER GOING TO GIVE ME THE EXTRA VOLTS THAT THE STOCK HU IS MISSING, THUS MORE PERFORMANCE?
1) b) IS THE PHOENIX GOLD LINE CHARGER (8 VOLTS) GOING TO WORK WELL?

2) ADDITIONALLY, IF I GO WITH THE BIG 3 UPGRADE, WILL IT HELP THE DIMMING OF THE LIGHTS?

3) MOST IMPORTANTLY, IS ANYTHING I AM DOING OR FAILING TO DO GOING TO CAUSE DAMAGE TO MY SYSTEM??????

Let's hear it guys!!!!!!!!

Bronze Member

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 45
I still don't understand the difference between volts from the HU and volts from the alt/battery. Do any of you?

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 288
volts from the battery and alt it what power the amp and makes every thing run, volts (singnal) from the HU is what is used to rep produce the sound, think of it as the save thing as the red and white plugs on a a\v coard fro a ps2 or dvd player all it does is transfer sound, think of the volts on that line as vol the higher the volts the more vol you will get, if you give your amp more voltage on the audio input you will haft to adjust your gain on the amp, now the voltage from the battery and alt is like the battery in a remote controlled car when its all charged up the car goes fast (proper voltage) the lower the battery gets the slower it goes (inproper voltage). so think of it like this when you arnt bumping your system hard you hafe a charged battery, when you are bumping hardish you are now on a low battery beacouse your alt is chargeing your battery witch is a reserve of power for when your alt cant supply enof power, so like the retard's idea of a 16v battery wouldent do you any good becides the fact that your alt will only charge a 12v system, (it takes 13.8-14.4 volts to charge a 12v system.) so his idea is useless. boddem line eather turn down the system,s bass or get an high out put alt that will fix your voltage problem and dimming lights. the big 3 will help ciruclate power throw the car beacouse the cars body is the groung for the chargeing system and then allow more power to flow from the alt to the battery to charge, so the big 3 is a good idea if you are adding any extra load on the cars chargeing system.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3463
"They just mad cause they don't know what they are talking about...but this is the way to go...It will charge off your stock alternator but feed your amp 16v's instead of 12v's increased voltage means increased power...if this link works you can see what I'm talking about..if not copy and paste it.....A lot of my friends with big systems do this and its a noticeable gain....."

And we're the one that don't know what were talking about

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 289
it sounds like hes just some tard that hangs around people that probly know what they are doing and he thinks he knows what he is doing. hes the definition of how a bad contractor thinks.

Bronze Member

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 46
Thanks Charles. According to what you said, the line charger will help the situation, big 3 and of course the reQ. Right?

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 361
If not getting enough signal from your stock HU is the issue just get a new one.. It'd be simpilar and save you a lot of hassle.

Silver Member

Post Number: 342
that would definitely be better, but he has already said he didn't want to get an aftermarket HU. idk why...........

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 291
probly saw a really ugly after market job and is afraid of how it will look, i got a great dash kit that matched my factory paint and all that bla bla 2010 brand new and the stock system lasted 6 days before i gutted it, never regretted it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 345
http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/1874

$20 for another step closer to badassness lol

Bronze Member

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 47
Because I have steering wheel controls and xm. also, my wife doesn't want me to change it. (If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy)

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 293
well they make boxes that let you use stearing wheel controllers i use one in my car. works fine. they make head units with xm in them and probly better interfaces then what you are using and tell your wife to stfu, my girl never wanted anything in her car, then i gave her a full setup and she fell in love with it. they don't know what they want tell they have it.

http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/pioneeravh-p4100dvd.aspx?gclid=CLS1hJyOrKACFct x5QodH3XAaQ

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/In-Dash/DVD-Receiv ers/AVH-P4200DVD

it has the ability to do xm and should also have the ability for HD radio as well, she should like that to.

Bronze Member

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 48
Hahaha charles. I gotta live with her. u dont. cheaper to keep her. lol i just spent 1500 on something she can't understand. i gotta slow my roll a bit. maybe in a few months. for now its a cheap fix. gotta roll with it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us