Would a Sundown Nightshade 15 work with these dimensions?

Silver Member
Username: Mark872

2 Type X 12s, Hughes S..., Texas

Post Number: 330
Hello all, dont know if any of you remember me or not but i used to post here a good while back. I had the altima coupe with 2 DD 1508s. Anyways, I am wanting to do a Nightsahde 15 with the SAZ1500. The problem is that the max dimensions i can have are 28W x 11.5H x 27D. Im gonna have to do sub up port back. I think that comes to 3.91 before port and everything, but i dont know how to calculate that. The nightshades need from 3-3.5 cubic feet i believe. Another thing is that the sub has a mounting depth of 9.75. and my box can only bee 11.5in high.wich would leave the sub 1/4 inch from the bottom of the box...would this be a problem?

Silver Member

Post Number: 331
no help? and actually, i just need to know if i could fit any 15 in a box that size. Im lookin into the HDC315 now...

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5416
It would be close. But most likely you will not be getting 3 cubes out of those dimensions. The port would have to probably be around 26"-30" in length anyway to achieve a desired tuning that you would want, making the box alot smaller after port displacement. It would be closer to 2.5 cubes or below after displacements.

Silver Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 973
i think you could make it work using an aeroport
say you go with the minimum recommendation for the hdc315 at 3ft^3. the sub displacement is .21ft^3
if you were to use a larger diameter port, say 6" you would need a port about 24 inches long to tune to 30hz which would be about .4ft^3

that would bring the total area of the box needing to be about 3.61ft^3

thats just some really quick numbers i tried to figure out, but it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to make it work

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5421
Yep ^^ You could also use an aero or straight port.

Silver Member

Post Number: 332
Ive never used or heard an aero port. do they sound they same as a regular port? For some reason ive always thought they were just for competitions and stuff. I'm not sure, but wouldn't 30hz be a little low for the hdc3 or the sundown? wouldn't 35hz be a better choice? And also, whats a straight port?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16064
better u go with a 12" rather than get a 15" in a not so good box ...

Silver Member

Post Number: 333
Would a 12" nightshade or hdc3 on a sundown 1500 be much louder than my 2 DD 1508's on Alpine MRD 1000? If not, i wont even bother upgrading. Was wanting to go with the 15 because there would almost be twice as much cone area as the 8s.

Silver Member

Post Number: 974
mark, about the tuning
the good thing is that if you were to tune it higher to like 35 like you said, it would require less port area giving you a little more wiggle room

Silver Member

Post Number: 334
yea thats what i was thinking. even if i did it the way you were talking about and tuned it to 30hz with the aero port and get about 3.3cubic feet after port and sub displacement(going by what you said the 24" aeroport displacement was in your previous post). that would be plenty right? The sundown site says the 15 only requires 3 to 3.5 cubic feet.

Silver Member

Post Number: 975
the displacement of the port might be a little bit off because of the flared ends. im not quite sure how to calculate the port area with the flared ends. im sure there is someone on here that could help you out with that though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 976
i just found a calculator that is designed to work with the aeroports from parts express

http://www.psp-inc.com/tools.html

just in case you were thinking about going this route

Silver Member

Post Number: 335
Thanks Kyle. So hears what i got so far.

28W x 11.5H x 27D = 3.91 cubic feet - .21 for sub displacement leaving me with 3.7

When i entered everything in the calculator, using 3.7 for my volume, 35hz for tuning freq, and one 6" port, i got a straight length port of 12.42". And a Flared length port of 13.42". Am i supposed to combine the two lengths to together or something? Because that seems way to short. Sorry, I dont know too much about all this box and port calculating.

Silver Member

Post Number: 979
well i think that what it is saying is that if you use a port with the flared ends, it needs to be a bit longer than a port that would not have flared ends

i think that length seems right. pretty much because i tend to rely on this website http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp?wid=18&high=14&dep=12&thick=.5&vo l=1.24132 and that is the port length that i get when entering in the info there. or at least close enough to because it doesnt calculate flared ends

Silver Member

Post Number: 336
Where can I get these ports cut to those lengths? And is there anyone here that can help me design a box, because I don't know where would be the best place to put the speaker on top and where to place the aeroport for best sound. And I really just have a lot of questions before I get started making the box
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us