Another JL Thread...sigh*

Bronze Member
Username: Souleraser

Post Number: 14
Sorry guys I know it gets annoying getting a bunch of questions about JL's W7 but here it goes.

If I had the money to spend freely would it be worth it to buy a 12 w7 instead of 12 Fi Q?

Does JL have any way of justifiying the high price of the w7 ( better sound quality, technologies that allow the w7 to outperform it's lower price competitors, etc..)?

I've never heard either sub in action. Will the W7 outperform the Fi Q in sound quality and loudness? Does the Q's performance have what it takes to rival that of the W7 or is it better than the W7?

This will be the second system I put in my car, it will replace the old one. I want it to be top noch and not regret my investment.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 325
I actually own a w7 and am very happy with it. I however didn't buy mine, I traded a friend of mine for it and got a killer deal on it. The woofer is great, but for the price of a new w7 vs. a new Q, the Q is hard to beat. Not only is the price different but the w7 is a single 3 ohm woofer. This means if you wanted to run it at 1k rms, you'd have to have an amp that will push 1k at 3 ohms. This will require a fairy large, or rather expensive amp. Buying the Q will save you money for the sub itself and you will be able to get a more affordable amp that will run at a 1 or 2 ohm load. You wouldn't be going wrong by buying a 12 w7 but you also want to weigh the other options.

Bronze Member
Username: Souleraser

Post Number: 15
I dont have the money to buy a new w7 and an appropiate amp for it, but if this setup will be better than what I would get from a Fi Q, I can save up the money. My concern is quality and loudness so if the w7 can offer that above the Fi Q, I will just wait till I have the right amount of money.

Shawn Dooley, do you have any experience w/ Fi? More specifically w/ the Fi Q?

Silver Member
Username: Rustysurfer916

Oviedo, FL

Post Number: 458
i have 2 12w6's on an alpine pdx 1.1000 and i love it. this setup cost as much or less than 1 12w7. would use the same amp for one sub instead of 2 and the subs. also it is louder and cleaner than the one sub. downside is idk what your workin with trunkwise. mines in a scion tc and my spair tires in my back seat haha.

also i got my amp online for about 450 and its 1000 wrms at 2 and 4 ohms also 3 if you wanted to use it for your w7 if you choose to do that.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 331
I don't have any personal experience with the fi Q but they look pretty impressive. If I was in the market of getting a new set up, they would be one of my top choices I believe. You do a single Q on a AQ1200D and its going to do very well. As matt mentioned, you could go with a couple w6s if youre looking for sound quality and output. They won't require as large an enclosure as the w7s do and you can wire them to a 1 ohm load, or 4 ohm.

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2326
i had a W7 and a W6 in sealed boxes off the same power... the W6 was louder and sounded better. with 1k watts... the W6 is nice.. not really for the price. the w7... its kinda over priced... a lot

Silver Member
Username: Quirky

SA, Texas

Post Number: 396
I can vouch for the value and quality of the FiQ. Just as everyone has said over and over, for the money the FiQ is one of the best picks for sound quality. I do not have much experience with the W7, however the JL products that I have had experience with were nothing special and not worth the price (W3v3s and W1s).

Its true, you get what you pay for, but sometimes what your paying for is bs with a name tag.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us