2 15" IA LI Build

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2149
This is going in my cousins '96 Buick Regal.

Everything so far has been ordered from Vertex Audio, great guy to deal with. Hopefully the subs will be in from IA this week.
Shok Industries 1/0
2 15" Incriminator Audio Lethal Injections
Probably using my American Pro VS-1598 amp for now.
7ft net tuned to 36hz with 96 sq inches of port.

Since very few have seen this amp I'll give some specs- it's 500rmsx2 @ 2 ohms at .05thd, class a/b.
I used it for my type-rs 5 years or so ago and it worked good, after he gets cash for more power I'll probably try it on some mids or something.

On to pics

The amp
Upload

Cutting wood, since my table saw was stolen I'm using this one- God it cuts nice regardless of appearances.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Mock up of the port, 6x16
Upload

Assembling the bottom/back.
Upload

Port
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

3/4 round over
Upload
Upload
Upload

Back to assembling the box
Upload

Upload
Upload

Some wood filler
Upload
Sanded smooth
Upload
Upload

We need to cut the baffle and countersink the subs, paint, angle and resin the corners etc etc. Also have to run wire, cut up the trunk, build a hinge for the rear seat, and tons more.

Gold Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1780
Someone stole your table saw?? How did that happen? Did they take anything else?

Nice work as usual so far anyway.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2154
Yeah I left my saw locked in a shed where I was working. I knew the tenants who seemed decent so I wasn't worried to leave it over the weekend so I could come back and finish the work the beginning of the week.

Came back and the people had emptied the place out and left their keys taped to the front door with a note saying screw you. I filed a police report but the cop asked me how I could prove they didn't just leave the shed open and someone else stole it. Either way they were in possession. .

I'm still too angry and poor to buy a new saw, though I know I'll have to break down pretty soon. You can only do so much with a circular saw/router and guides.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2155
^Oh, and I had taken all my other tools with me I just can't fit the saw in my truck with my subs in, I use a trailer for large dirty tools that I wasn't pulling that day :-( If the guy hadn't moved out of state he'd be buying some new tires.

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 306
damm man thats sh!tty luck. I hate people lol, but its the world we live in... Looking forward to seeing updates though.

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 278
thats fed up troy, you still do sexy work tho.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2156
Thanks, I try. This is on a budget but it's amazing how much left over supplies accumulate. I'm cleaning out my garage so it's great to have a place to put stuff instead of hoarding or trashing it: this box lol.

Bronze Member
Username: Vertexaudio

Post Number: 26
Wow that blows man I'm sorry to hear

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13673
I have been into audio a long time and I never heard of that amp. I hope the setup slams for you.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2158
Yeah I found it in a pawn shop like 8 years ago, it's really not a bad amp imo.
I hope it does good for my cousin anyway.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2973
Lookin good as always.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2159
Did some 45s and painting today. These pics show too much of my ghetto shed :-( I plan on rebuilding when I finish my builds and have extra cash, till then it's a dry place to work lol.

The budget for paint ate into the fiberglass budget too much, so this box will not have resin inside.

A bunch of 45's cut. I didn't mean to take the pics in front of my old 4 18s box. Anyone wanting it can have it for 20 bucks + shipping, or a couple packs of redbull locally. It has like 200 bucks just in fiberglass and paint in it.
Upload
Upload
Upload

Working extra HARD (ha ha)
Upload

Upload

My brother putting in some nails till the corners set
Upload
Upload

We got more than this done, but I don't have more pics. We're going to get the baffle on tomorrow and get it painted.

Silver Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 301
Workin extra hard lol. Gave me a good laugh. Lookin good man.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2161
Thanks.
The box is finished, just letting it dry over night and should get the metal chopped out tomorrow.

I cut the baffle before putting it on the box to reduce dust cleanup. Only countersunk like .5 inch, so it's not quite flush. Just liked the way this looked so I kept it.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

First layer of baffle
Upload
Clamped and nailed
Upload
Wood filler
Upload
Sanding
Upload

Test fitting
Upload
Upload

Roundover on the whole box, as well as hitting the bottom of the port opening.
Upload

I believe he felt that his box had balls
Upload

4 cans of black filler primer, then 2 cans of valspar stone. I think 1 more can of stone would've been better but that was the budget.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

I sanded the overspray out of the sub holes, should be dry and ready to go in tomorrow. I'm going to run the subwoofer wiring straight from the subs to the amp, no terminals.

Let me know what you think.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 280
sexy as hell

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 2346
dam that looks good troy.

lol @ the peenor

Gold Member

Post Number: 2162
The box is in, just need to hook up the wires/run the wires.

I was too busy doing the work to take lots of pics. Tight fit.
Upload

cutting the trunk lid spring/rod thing
Upload
Upload

And chopping out the lower corner bracing.
Upload
Upload

Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 282
i think you made the box to big lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 2163
I made it exact lol. I thought we were removing the spring, but since we could keep it we did. It made some ugly marks that need touched up but this is great: even before bolting it down you'd have to remove the rear seat to get the box out, or slide it enough to reach the subs (we just have the box positioned there for a pic). It is such a tight fit it takes 2 grown men several minutes to move it a few inches.

I'm really happy with how it fits, though it took a 2x4 and almost an hour to shoe-horn in lol.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5424
Nice work. Where did you get the Valspar? and how much was it per can? How is the durability of it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5425
It prob scratches pretty easily huh?

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 283
pix of it flush with rear seats in?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2164
The valspar stuff was at Lowes for $8.98 per can- but two can's did pretty good covering the sides, port side, and baffle. I did almost the whole box with one can then recoated and finished with the second.

It's been humid so I think it could've sat a bit longer, but those scratches would've ruined even carpet, they're kind of nasty. I sanded the overspray from the sub opening and it took some work, it's rubbery so it doesn't really chip like I expected.

I'd definitely use this spray again, though this was the darkest color I could find. I was thinking about using it on my box then hitting it with a flat black mist to make it have a darker tint to it.

We didn't get the subs in today- he has to vacuum his car and the box out first, then we can wire and mount the subs. After that we'll push it in place and put the seat back. The amp will go in the space between the box and the seats in some fashion.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5429
interesting. I am thinking about trying some of that stuff. Can you chip it off with your fingers and stuff? Because I know of some other spray texture at HD and it chips very easily.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2165
I haven't tried to chip it, but I hand sanded the sub holes and it sanded well. It was definitely rubbery and held up to 80 grit decently, but I'll try to chip it with my finger the next time I see my cousin.

We were going to run the wire and hook things up today but it didn't pan out. I hope to get it running tomorrow, only like an hours worth of work left.

Bronze Member
Username: Vertexaudio

Post Number: 27
Looking good Troy, nice work

Gold Member

Post Number: 2168
I tried and the stuff does chip :-( It'd nice for most things, but once you get a good angle it'll peel off pretty easy.

I'm pleased with the sound and output of this setup- honestly the sound surprised me. It sounds smooth and accurate, I LOVE the way it sounds on rock like Devildriver.

I didn't expect the small bag trick we got, but this was all we could get a video of before it looked like neighbors were getting angry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gqDD1Hp7a4
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us