Sub questions W7?

Username: Slo2sixty

Post Number: 1
Ive been looking up alot of stuff and not getting to many solid answers so i figured id join here and ask them myself. First of all i just sold my 2 cvrs and i was looking to get into a one sub system for my wrx so i can actually have a trunk. I have an alpine mrp-850 to work with so i was looking for a sub handling around that much power. I want it to hit pretty hard and sound good, i listen to mostly metal but throw on some rap every once and a while. Anyways ive been looking a a w7 10... do u think this will meet my requirements? If so i was planing on building a 2sq foot box to go with it. what do you guys think?

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 304
JL makes a great product, but just about everyone on here will tell you they are overpriced.

Look into:

Fi: https://ssl.perfora.net/ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154b945801e2138/shopd ata/index.shopscript

Digital Designs: http://www.ddaudio.com/

Audioque: http://www.audioque.com/aq/

those are solid companies that make solid products.JL level quality, below JL pricing. I'm trying to look out for your wallet lol

Post Number: 2
So for FI im looking at the SSD10
DDAUDIO the DD2500a
and Audioque the SDC2.5
Or the W7 as i said (more expensive true)
I will look into all of these options, but given what i said in my first post which would you suggest? And thanks for the fast response Smith.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 320
The w7 is going to require a pretty big box, even for a 10. You can go with one of the listed above brands and do just as well. Also the w7 is going to run at 3 ohm, you can run the other brands at a 2 ohm or 1 ohm depending on the DVC you go with, making it easier to find a suitable amp.

Post Number: 3
So i think im down to the FI and the DD. But i cant find a price on the DD and the Fi is around 179 which is really reasonable and i can get it right from their site. What are your opinions on these two subs and would a 10 or a 12 be better for my situation? Thanks again everyone and sorry for all the questions.

Bronze Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 64
well it all depends on what you want.. if you want sq which i think you should go for, i would suggest a fi q or if you want rediculous bass go with the dd. and go with a 12.. i just dont like 10s
and get the fi q in dual 4 ohm voice coil so you can run it at 2 ohms on that amp. it will be an awesome set up. i love alpine amps

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3456
You have to call DD for pricing and ordering info.

I would say go with your choice you wanted the most, The SSD 10"

cwruck, did it ever occur to you that he might not have enough room?

Post Number: 4
How much room would I need. A 1-2 cubic foot box will fit just fine. That's y I wanted to do a sealed box.

Post Number: 5
Nvm i found some old specs on them as they arent on FI's site right now. and it says .8-1.5 on the 12" Q. I think im pretty set on the Q now. The only questions now are 10 or 12 and i wanted to go sealed to save room but whats gonna sound better will be my main reasoning on ported or sealed. And this will be going in the trunk of my wrx.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16044
ur amp does 850wrms @ 2ohms so i wouldnt advise buying a 12" Q & under powering it ..SSD shud be better for that power

even a RE SE 600wrms wud be good & u can run it sealed

if u want to do ported & want to use less space buy a 4" aeroport or use a 4" pipe port ...

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the info Rovin. Theres too many choices to go from. Thats y i asked here. As for the configuration of the sub what should i do here and what does Flatwind, BP Power, and QTS mean and do for me?
Configure Speaker:
Ohm:Dual 1 or Dual 2
FlatwindCoil:Yes or No
BP Power:Yes or No
QTS:Standard or Hqts-sealed

Sorry about all the noob questions im just trying to become more car audio savvy. Thanks again

Post Number: 7
Ok so im not usless and looked up the flatwind and bp power. Im guessing that i really dont need them because my amp isnt really that big. And the ohms is just the ohms and i will be running my amp at 2 ohms so the dual 2 would be my choice? The only thing that wasent explained on their site was the QTS. And that is for what type of enclosure i will be running correct? Standard is for a ported and Hqts is for sealed? I can make a box around 2.0 cubes and still retain my trunk space.

Username: Perfectcircle

IndyRF T30001bd

Post Number: 7
No you would need a dual 1 ohm to run at 2 ohms.

Post Number: 8
Thanks perfect. I emailed FI to see what they have to say about the options to put on the sub given what i have to work with.

Can someone still give me their opinion on a sealed or ported enclosure for the ssd12. Im not looking to be way loud, but decently loud and sound good, i can go around 2.5 cubes but not much bigger. Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 308
Fi recommends:
.7-1.2 for sealed
1.8-2.5 @33 for ported

and when it says 2.5 for ported, that doesn't include port and sub displacement, so the overall box itself would be closer to roughly 3 cubes.

personally i like ported setups, but since space is a bit of an issue and you don't want it to be really loud and more toward SQ, I would say go with a sealed box.

If you decide that sealed isn't what you wanted, you can always get someone on here such as Bassman3 to build you a ported box for around 125 + shipping. Don't quote me on that, but it should be somewhere in that ball park lol.

Post Number: 9
Smith good info again. And scott from FI got back to me allready and i will be ordering the sub within a week or so and be building a box at 1.2 cubes giving me around 1.05 with sub displacement.

Im gonna get the dual 1 and Hqts sealed, everything else stock setup. Once i get it and make the box i'll let y'all know what i think and thow up some pics. I also i am gonna be laying Fatmat down on most of the car within the week(mostly to quiet my loud exhaust). The mod bug has struck again

Silver Member

Post Number: 309
Build Log! haha

Post Number: 10
Ok i've been doing some calculating and measuring of my trunk and ive came up with this box. Its gonna be a trapezoid style to match the contour of my rear seat. Here goes nothing.

Length- 20 in
Height- 14 in
Depth 1 (bottom)- 12 in
Depth 2 (top)- 9 in
And i will be using 3/4 in MDF which should give me 1.20 cubes

Will just the screws holding it together be fine or will i need to brace it on the inside somehow? If so throw me some ideas..... Please hahah

Silver Member

Post Number: 310
I use tite-bond wood glue and 1-5/8" screws for my builds. clamps also help. be sure to pre-drill your holes so the wood doesn't split too

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
thanks smith i'll be going to home depot to get the materials after i order the sub once my cake goes into my paypal. What kind of db are you guys seeing on a single ssd12? Or what u think i'll be hitting in my sealed enclosure of course.

Im also fatmatting my car right now working on the trunk tomorrow. After that under the rear seat and then on to the doors, possibly the roof after that. ima make a lil build log on my car as soon as i get my pics all together
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us