Amp voltage, please help

bambu
Unregistered guest
I am looking to research into an amp and was wondering which figures to look at... should I be basing the amp's power (watt) output on 12.5V OR 14.4V?

I also do not plan on running my system with my engine off for a prolonged period of time.

Bronze Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 81
im no expert but here is the info i have gathered from other experts. im pretty sure this is mostly correct. while the car is off your amp should be recieving 12 v. while the car is on idle is should be around 13.8 - 14.2 and when above idle it should be 14.4. also i have heard cars differ in their idle voltage so could be closer to 14.4 anyway on idle.

if im wrong someone please help this guy if not then im happy i could help.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3723
at idle the car usually sits at 12.5 volts.
above about 900RPM, you'll be between 13.8 and 14.4V depending on the alternator.

bambu
Unregistered guest
So, when buying an amp, should I be looking at 12.5 or 14.4 V? (Should I buy an amp that meets the speaker's RMS wattage at 12.5V or 14.4?)

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3727
it won't make a big difference. if you want to be safe, match the speaker RMS to the amp @ 14 volts.

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 215
Some amps even rate it at 13.8 volts now. I know orion does that. Yea do the 14.4 volt and the rms wattage at 13.8 wont be much lower.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3731
amps with a regulated power supply put out the same power regardless of input voltage (within reason) so most amps will tell you if the power supply is regulated or unregulated.
JL's slash series for example, are regulated.
this helps avoid clipping by maintaining steady voltage rails.

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 219
Also xtant amps have regulated power supply thing also.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us