Whats the difference?

Username: Souleraser

Post Number: 3
Hey guys.

Im not a pro on audio thats why I ask this question:

What is the difference between a woofer that is rated at 2000 watts from a woofer that is rated at lets say 500 watts besides power handling?

Lets say they are the same size, same excursion (Xmax), same freq. range everything except for the power handling.

What is the difference in the sound they can produce?

Thanks.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22325
DBs. More power a driver can safely sustain means the more it reproduces into sound waves. Think of it like a light bulb. The more wattage that is consumed the more energy is transformed into the final product. More watts, more light.

More watts into a driver equals more sound output. The suspension, spider, motor, ect, all must be designed to handle the physical motions of producing the sound accurately when given a clean signal.

Just like the filament in a 100w light bulb must be designed to handle the increased consumption over a 60w bulb so must a speaker and its' parts.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2146
DBs x2.

Often, while a sub is meant to handle more power it also has a higher sensitivity rating. For instance in 18" size:

Fi SSD has 91.4db sensitivity, with 800rms rating.
Fi BTL has 94.9db sensitivity, with 2000 rms rating.

From this statement the BTL should be 3.5db louder with 1 watt of power, though it doesn't always work out that way. In a direct swap out of subs the BTL should be louder at any power range. It's just the way the subs are made- one is more efficient.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4323
X3

but in some cases a lower rms line of subs can outpreform a higher rms line of subs on the same power until there is enough power to really get the higher rms sub really moving...

I apologize ifthat sounds confusing...

The first example that pops into my head is The Audible insanity DD van..
They went with the dd1515 (iirc) over say the dd3515's because the 1515 outperform the 3515's until a certain wattage even though the 3515 has a higher effiency rating... If I got the exact model of their subs incorrect , I apologize.. Maybe Canaan will read this and clarify what I'm trying to say.. (or correct me if I misunderstood). They are the ones who did the testing on em..

The way I understood it, with their available power they are able to get better numbers by not going with the more powerful rated subs... Fu<k, it's late and I'm confusing myself. lol

I

Bronze Member
Username: Jay_boy

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 54
Is it kinda like a subcompact car and a big truck. with a small engine/HP, the subcompact will outperform but as you increase the power past a certain point the truck will have no competition?

Bronze Member
Username: Gutteer

Post Number: 42
^^ exactly

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12461
http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/speakerpwr.html

there.

power handling is a thermal measure (in wattage) of how much heat the voice coil(s) of the speaker can handle without damage (melting.)

that's the short of it.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 12462
also, the power handling spec alone doesn't tell you how loud the speaker will be. that's more about sensitivity than power handling.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us