What does 6 ohm mean? 4 ohm?

Mark
Im looking to buy some 12w3's and they have dual 6 ohm, and dual 4 ohm. what do those mean? and which is better?

Jordan
Whats up mark dual 6 ohm means that a subwoofer can be wired in parallel to get 3 ohms or in series to get 12 ohms and a 4 ohm subwoofer if wired in parallel gets a 2 ohm load or in series to make a 8 ohm load.Now if ur dealing with 2 subs and both of them are dual 4 ohm then u can wire them together in parallel and make a 1 ohm load or in series to make a 4 ohm load(8ohms/2) what this all means is that when wiring ur subs to an amp if say the amp is 1 0hm stable then u can wire the 2 dual 4 ohms together in paralllel to the amp in 1 ohm to get more power from ur amp.If you wire them in parallel and there 2 dual 6 ohms that will give u a 1.5ohm load but if ur amp is only 2 ohm stable then it will keep shutting off during its peak.

motoman22
Mark, '6 ohm' or '4 ohm' is a speaker specification. It's the measure of electrical resistance within the motor structure of the sub.

The 6-ohm subs were built for people wanting to use three subwoofers but still have a 4-ohm mono load.

If you are planning on buying two subs and using only one amp to drive both, get the 4-ohm version. If you want to use three subs and power them with one amp, get the 6-ohm version.

Which one is right for you depends on what exactly you want to accomplish...

bobbo
what is the paralell and all that? ... is there an easier way to explain the whole ohm thing? .. sorry im a new guy :P

motoman22
bobbo:

http://www.caraudiohelp.com/ohms_law/ohms_law.htm

peace

asher anderson
i own 2 infinity perfect 12.1d's and 10.1d's. im looking for 2 amps, 1 to push each pair. i was thinking about the fosgate 1051S but im unsure. any suggestions or advice would help. the speakers are dual 4ohm speakers and handle a 350 rms load and 1400 peak power and have a sensitivity of 96. i wanted to set them up in a parrallel situation. when ran parrallel, they only draw a 1 ohm load according to their website. my other question is should i bridge the 2 channel amp to a 1, then parrallel off of the bridge, or just parrallel each speaker on its channel?

newb
if u only plan on running one sub, is it better to use a mono amp or a bridged 2 channel amp? the mono should run cooler and have a lesser work load, correct?

Hydro
Yea mono amps would be better but they would not have a lesser work load if Its bridged if done correctly.

Unregistered guest
Quick question, I am have a dual 6 ohm sub that handles 1000 watts rms. I want to get a mono block amp, any suggestions on what would be a good mono amp that will work with this sub? thanx for any replies.

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 438
JBL BP1200.1 or MTX Thunder81000D

Ben V
Unregistered guest
I have a JL w6AE. It is a dual 6ohm (I think). I have an amp with is 4ohm stable (ppi 2240). The amp was used to power this sub by the previous owner. Can I do this? Why/why not?

Unregistered guest
I have two Audiobahn Alum10q's they run at 6 ohms. Is it possible to use my 2000watt 2-4 ohm amp? Thanks,

Unregistered guest
What would be the best amp for two audiobahn 10"s that are 450 rms and have 4 ohm, if I want to power them both at 450 watts all the time with 4 ohms what amps would be the best would it be better to have an amp per sub

Bronze Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 88
Ben V: you should be fine running that subwoofer in paralell at 3 ohm, it will give you about 1.5x the power of the amps output at 4 ohm if it is effecient.

Matty: those alum10q's are dual 6 ohm i believe...i would get a different amp if its only 2 ohm stable because you would have to run those subs at either 1.5 ohms paralell or 6 ohms series+paralell get a new amp that is down to 1 ohm stable before hooking those subs up

sanchez: your best bet for an amplifier is the MTX Thunder801D it runs a little more than 800w rms at 2 ohms, and thats how you will run your subs in paralell. MTX makes excellent amps, very effecient and reliable. thats your best bet

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
mark: go with the dual 4 ohm setup, its easier to match up with amplifiers than goofy dual 6 ohms lol thats just my preferance.

Jonathan Smith
Unregistered guest
I want to buy two Rockford Fosgate 12inch HE2 subwoofers. One set is 2ohm and the other is 4ohm. My amp is a 2 channel Rockford Fosgate Punch 601s.Which subwoofer should I buy?

Anonymous

Is Rockford a good brand? Should I buy a kicker compvr 12inch woofer or Rockford Fosgate Punch HE2?

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
are those he2's dual voice coils or no?

i would advise you go with the kicker compVRs instead of RF cuz RF really went downhill since early-mid 90s

Username: Amplifierhelp

Post Number: 1
I WANT TO BUY A 300RMS @ 2OHMS APLEFIER AND 150RMS @ 4OHMS. I WOULD LIKE TO RUN THE AMP ON 2OHMS, IM GOING TO ALSO BUY 2 12INCH SONYS RATED AT 350RMS EACH, THERE BOTH 4OHMS SO IF I WIRE THEM CORRECTLY I CAN GET 2OHMS. MY QUESTION IS IF I WIRE THE SUBS TO BE 2OHMS AND CONNECT IT TO THE AMP WILL EACH SUBWOOFER GET 300RMS OR WILL EACH SUBWOFFER TAKE HALF THE POWER, MEANING EACH SUB WILL GET 150 RMS. I HOPE EACH SUB GET 300RMS CUZ IM BASS HUNGRY.THANKS!

adam fifth
Unregistered guest
i am thinking about buying 2 rockford fosgate hx2 15's.they are 4 ohm dvc.would the rockford fosgate 1001bd be a good amp for the speakers?if not what amp would be the best?

Richard Lyle
Unregistered guest
i have 2 memphis hp 15's dual voice coil at 4 ohms hooked up to a mtx 81000d.the speakers are tearing around the sides but still play.is this from the amp not being 1 ohm stable?the store i bought it from said that they use these speakers in competition and he has never seen them blow like that.does anyone have an idea?

Username: Daysof_thunder

Post Number: 7
Hey Adam, this is Joe. I would recommend getting Treo subs or Re subs. They both have a really good product and have something for all budgets and sound. As far as amps go, I would recommend going with the US AMPS DE-1000 for your subs. if there are no dealers in your area you can order these products and get them for half the price. They check for you first though when you call so you dont pull any fast ones. HAHAHAHA. Exampl: US AMPS DE-1000 retail is around 900 or so. I got them for 399 direct. Re triple x series subs 12" around 750, Got them for 380 ea. direct from RE. So you see you can accomplish some awesome goals if you check around. Also dont be afraid of impedance on the ohms per coil on the RE's, They custom make the sub for each order so you can get any voice coil configuration you need. Good luck man, let me know what you decide

Post Number: 8
I started with 2 splw-12 12' subs from SPL. THey SUCK. THey sounded soooo bad i took them out 2hours after I installed them. I now have 2 RE triple x series subs 2 US AMPS DE-1000 and Diamond audio Hex components run by a US AMPS USA-4300x ECLIPSE head unit THIS system rocks. Ill have to post pictures sometime so you guys can see it. Thanks GLASS for al your help and suggestions.

Post Number: 9
Hey Richard where did you get the subs from? Did you buy them from an authorized dealer? You might of got ripped off. I had a frien that bought a pair of diamond audio subs from an un authorized dealer and these were the tdx series subs. The cone while he was breaking them in were fine, but when he pushed them to all his orion 2500d could give the cone on one of them seperated from the surround. Sometimes these companies take them apart and scrpe the serial number off so they cant be traced. This is usually inside under thcone and spider area. They then put it back together with a cheap sealant. and reseal the package as brand new. He got burned bad. They said that it was neglect and abuse on his part and ofcourse Diamond isnt doing anything cause thy were unauthorized dealers. Be careful guys. You really do get what you pay for even if its an awesome brand.

Post Number: 10
Richard what is the rms power rating on the memphis 15's you have. If the amp is over powering them and its not one of the better subs it might be possible that mtx is tooooo much.

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
by the way richard, you CANNOT run two dual 4 ohm subs on a 2 ohm stable able, your amp will continously shut down for thermal reasons, being as it is pushing out wayyyy to much power than it would be designed to.....thats a sure way to kill you amp and if your subs can handle 1000w RMS, then i would suggest getting 2 thunder81000d amps or two amps of a lower power at 2 ohms....if they cannot handle 1000w rms each, then i would suggest you go with a BP1200.1 amp, JBL makes it and it is a great reliable amp and runs 1200w RMS at 1 ohm, which will give your subs about 600w RMS each

getting two thunder81000d amps will require a huge high output alternator, i would say around 250-300A and the BP1200.1 will require about 110 current amp draw, so about a 175A alternator would do it for ya there

thatboyj
Unregistered guest
How do you run 2 4 ohm speakers on a 1 ohm mono load amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
you can run the 2 4 ohm subs at 2 ohms....the only way you can get a 1 ohm load from 4 ohm subs is to have 4 of them and run them all paralell

thatboyj
Unregistered guest
I thought you could run two 4 ohm dvc subs at a 1 ohm load

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
oh u never said DVC... yes you can run 2 4 ohm DVC subs at 1 ohm load

next time be more specific

Thatboyj
Unregistered guest
What size crossover would i need if i want to push 2 15" L5 solo-barics on a kicker kx1200.1 amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Hydro

Post Number: 94
The Kicker amp already comes with a low pass crossover all you have to do is switch it to low pass and set it from 50-200Hz but I would suggest anything below 80Hz L5's do not sound that good above 80Hz.

thatboyj
Unregistered guest
how would you add a battery to you car to push power ot your amp and still keep the battery charged. Would you need to hook it up to the alternater too. And if so how do you hook two batteries to one alternater. do I need to buy a special one.

Silver Member
Username: Hydro

Post Number: 103
Yes you will need to hook it up to the alternator and more than likely your gonna need a High Output Alternator If you already have one then great next step is you'll need a Battery Isolator to let the alternator charge both batteries without letting one drain the other(You can use one for your audio system and the other for starting your car)Battery Isolators are sold online and on ebay I believe.

bob dole
Unregistered guest
I want to buy 2 infinty kappa perfect 10.1d subs. They run dual 4 ohms. I want to put the subs in seperate boxes. my question is should i run them in parallel or series, and what kind of amp should i get? like mono or 2 channel, and how many watts??? thanx

Unregistered guest
Okay, I'm not new at this but I'm not quite sure whats going wrong. I have 2 punch Z's (400 rms) and a rockford 601s (1800 peak; 300 x2 @2ohm). Well I'm starting to think I didn't wire the subs correctly because after about 3 seconds of use the main fuse (the one going from the battery to the amp) blew out. Whats the wiring scheme for 2 dvc subs so the sees them at 2 ohms....ty

Silver Member

Post Number: 247
you're using power cable that is too small for your amp, obviously...

get 4awg power and ground and a 120A fuse, that should probly hold it together for more than 3 seconds...its not how you wired it, its just your fuse was not large enough to handle the power your amp needs

Username: Airburn

Post Number: 3
I do have 4 gauge wire and I was using the fuse provided in the amp box...so it has to be that I wired the two dvc's wrong...I am just looking for the correct wiring diagram now

Silver Member

Post Number: 259
no you didnt wire them wrong, you have them run in paralell i sa wur diagram u drew, its perfectly fine

get a new, higher fuse than the one that came in the boxand you should be fine
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us