Equalizer: Can't Adjust Sub Volume

Bronze Member
Username: Goodstang

Long Island, NY USA

Post Number: 24
I finished installing my new sound setup just a few minutes ago, everything sounds great, except for one problem. I cannot raise the volume (it does raise a few db, but hardly anything noticeable, so i know the volume adjust works) of my subs separately from my speakers.

My equalizer is wired to adjust the Subs volume, and a knob on the headunit adjusts the speakers volume.

Now, I have on/off switches attached to the REM wires for each of my amps (one for subs amp, one for speakers amp), so to make sure the subs volume could be raised i shut the speakers off, then raised when i raised the headunit volume control, the subs volume increased to the desired volume. However, when i flipped the switch for the speakers back on, the speakers played way too loud (about twice the volume of the subs).

My question is, is there anything that i can do to increase the volume of my subs, since the EQ volume is raised as high as it can go, and they are drained out by the regular speakers?

This is my setup:SONY CDX MP30 Headunit, Sony XE 744 Equalizer, 4 Infinity Reference 6.5" Component Speakers powered with 800W Sony Multichannel Amp, and 2 12" Sony Subs powered with 1200W Sony 2-channel amp.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3678
get better subs and better amps.

Bronze Member
Username: Goodstang

Long Island, NY USA

Post Number: 28
ouch. yea, sony sucks, thanks.

i asked this same question in the subs forum, and i got a tip that i may have to tune my amplifier to ensure that the subs play at the correct volume. i will give it a try, and write back if i have any further problems.

btw, that lizardskin stuff you recommended (somewhere on another post), is damn expensive. but when compared to an equal purchase of dynomat/etc., it's probly not all that bad.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3692
I figured you'd already set the gains on the amps.
that does need to be done.
it'd help if you diagramed how everything was wired, etc.. hard to figure all of it out like this. 800W and 1200W are peak ratings for Sony.
you may want to list RMS ratings for amps. my answer with a bit more detail was that I figured that sub amp was below the power the subs really need, but maybe not with those sony subs.

lizardskin is a spray in ceramic coating that incorporates air pockets. the stuff is fantastic, but yeah not cheap.
I was going for good over cheap.
it's the sort of thing ya get done if you're building a hot rod or ready to gut the whole car before assembling the system.

Unregistered guest
hey , guys or gurls. I was writting on this site to talk to some of you and hope fully get some good feed back. But what i was woundering was were on the net i would go about finding some good subs and an amp at kinda a low price it dont realy matter the brand as long as its not walmart stuff so if any one could help me then id like to here what you got to say if possabul email me back ay slut_hunter_247@yahoo.com thanks

Unregistered guest
hey , guys or gurls. I was writting on this site to talk to some of you and hope fully get some good feed back. But what i was woundering was were on the net i would go about finding some good subs and an amp at kinda a low price it dont realy matter the brand as long as its not walmart stuff so if any one could help me then id like to here what you got to say if possabul email me back ay slut_hunter_247@yahoo.com thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us