Alternator rewinding

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Twp., MI United States

Post Number: 1373
Alternator Rewinding
Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it safe? reliable? Seems like a cheaper alternative to buying a new HO alt.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10985
Junk... this question comes up again and a gain the answers the same... ppl wanting to go to a local shop that claims to be able to "beef up" a stock alternator... not gonna work.

There is no substitute for a real HO alternator.

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1985
a friend of mine has a buddy whos master thesis was on alternator rewinding and i guess he can rewind a factory case alt to make 800 AMPS!!! i dont really believe this myself since i do have some knowledge about alternators but i think it may be for a specialized case with a super tiny pulley andwill only output at a certain rpm probably.

eventually im going to see if he can rewind my factory alt to 300 amps or so (hoping for 150+ at idle) for a reasonable price. my 200 amp alt was only $300 shipped with a lifetime warranty from mcr (motorcityreman.com) supposedly does 120 amps at idle.

ive had it for a few years now and it seems to be going strong but i would love to have more juice

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10988
hahahaha 800 amps. Thanks, I needed a laugh today.

Youre still not getting it tho... they wont be able to do 300 amps or ANYWHERE near that and still maintain any kind of decent idle amperage with stock parts. Putting a smaller pulley on it will appear to help... until the alt wears out from rpms exceeding what the bearings can handle are high engine speeds. 99% of those shops should be avoided like the plague. The exceptions are ones that build real HO alternators. (DB electrical is one)

Again, no substitute for a real HO alt built from the ground up. That is and always will be the bottom line.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us