Which competition do i sign up for

Silver Member
Username: Rustysurfer916

Oviedo, FL

Post Number: 452
hey havent posted on here in a long time. I have 2 JL 12W6's and an alpine pdx 1.1000. i want to take my car to spring break nationals kind of just to see how loud it is. but also wanna see where i fit in in the normal everyday car sound systems. they are in a sealed box right now but i will be building a ported box for them (if anyone knows any sites where i can find some box specs for these subs id appreciate it). im wondering what competition do i enter i dont know anything about car audio competition really. i know theres spl sound quality. and i know i dont wanna get in an unlimited class lol. oh yeah this is in a scion tc. so if anyone knows what hertz would be loudest in this car also let me know.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13602
dont ruin great subs like the 12 w 6's for spl use

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 308
Depending on the rest of your car's setup maybe the SQ class. w6s arn't geared for SPL competion. They'll do fine for SQ, but the rest of your car would need to be up to par as well.

Silver Member

Oviedo, FL

Post Number: 453
my speakers are stock components but there suprisingly clean for stock speakers. only thing i can think is scion put them in there to handle more power for the factory upgraded sound system. i have a good head unit but its bout 3 years old. its a pioneer premier. it has a 17 band EQ on it also. everyone that hears it thinks i upgraded the speakers when i dident. how does a SQ class work? like how do they score it or whatever and also do they put an spl meter on it?

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2141
Most people think loud means upgraded. I would not enter an sq comp with factory speakers run off your head unit.
I believe you should go to a competition to see what's there, listen to some sq and spl vehicles and see where you are.

You may find one route more appealing after seeing and hearing a few vehicles and talking to the competitors.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13655
x2

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4315
If you want to get metered enter the spl in stock class(if you box is below the window line ) or the lowest class that u qualify for and run a sweep for your first run. They will tell you what fq. You peaked at for your second run. Assuming this is usaci. Usually 5-10 hz above box tuning but there are exeptions.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10987
Thats some nice equipment and sould sound good but you wont be winning any comps with that setup.

And if stock speakers sound good to you.... well prob best to stay aout of the SQ world.

Silver Member

Oviedo, FL

Post Number: 454
you havent herd the stock speakers in my car. no crackling at high volumes or anything and very little distortion. not normal for stock from my experience. ive been in the car audio game since i was 16 and am 23 now. i know alot about the subject and ive had and herd my fair share of speakers. im not trying to win any comps. i meen unless it happens i guess that would be cool. id just like to see where i fit in with the rest of the kids out there in there everyday cars i guess. anyone know how and where i could get my car metered without entering a competition? i know the iphone has an spl app or whatever but who knows how accurate that thing is. anyone have it?

Bronze Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 62
i agree you wont do much with stock speakers. just because they dont distort when they are turned up doesnt make them good speakers.. if you go to a comp and you see a few guys with some dls, rainbow, cdt, morel components in their car, you might understand what everyone is trying to tell you, you wont do much in a sq comp with your speakers and no amp on them. just trying to help you out.
and you can always go to audio shops to get your car metered, or at least in my area you can.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2142
Just because something doesn't sound like total butt doesn't mean it sounds good. I'm not knocking you at all, please don't take it that way, but there's a lot more to it than that.

I would call local audio shops and ask if they have a termlab to meter your vehicle. I would also refrain from telling people how good your speakers sound unless they say it first. Listen to a few sq cars before making any claims or passing judgment.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4317
Like I said. If you want to see how loud you are read my last post on here.

Silver Member

Oviedo, FL

Post Number: 455
i know i can just enter an spl comp. what i dont wanna do is waist my money entering if every class i enter im just gonna get annialated. which is also why im here asking questons lol. and i dont tell people my speakers are stock. they always ask what ive upgraded to and i tell them there stock. there always suprised. and i never said they sound amazing. i said they sound amazing FOR STOCK SPEAKERS. ive had 3 and 4 way aftermarket pioneer speakers (were from best buy so not that great. low end pioneer stuff.) that my stock ones now blow away. i also dident really think to check with the audio shops if they have a termlab meter. and also wouldent think they would let me just walk in and use it if im not buying anything from them.

Silver Member

Oviedo, FL

Post Number: 456
also i havent really ever thought of this simple way to get alittle louder, how much would it cost to have a shop dynamat my trunk?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4318
how would it be a waist of money in you find out what you want to know? If you come in dead last you still get to check out other systems andgain experience. AND FU<K WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK ABOUT YOUR SCORE.... If you didn't build your system specifically for competition, then the better you happen to do, the better the bonus, but If you are talking about SBN in Daytona Beach, you will see a wide var4iety of vehicles and scores. They will offer a few different orginazations to choose from. The 2 main ones will be isaca and db drag iirc.. I've never competed in either (only usaci) so maybe someone who has can give more specific pointers.

Silver Member

Oviedo, FL

Post Number: 457
your right lol. im sure theres gonna be plenty of people like me and plenty of people there with 500 dollar systems that think there the sh!t that ill blow away lol. but yeah i know theres different organizations and classes and thats where im confused idk where to start looking on what to do or where to look

Gold Member

Post Number: 4322
springbreaknationals.com
http://iasca.com/
http://www.termpro.com/dbdrag/?Org_ID=1

read up and see where you fit
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help