Best Box for 2 Kappa perfect subs

Bronze Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 24
What do u think the best box is for 2 Kappa Perfects... and where should I get it?

Username: Silpheed

Beverly Hills, FL United States

Post Number: 2
Custom built box out of 3/4 Birch. My buddy and I just got done building 2 birch boxes. Dimensions are L = 30", W = 12", H = 15". With a divider in the middle. This was 3/4 birch. $45 for a full sheet at your local Home Depot( you only need 1/2 although). 2" Course thread wood nails, and alot of liquid nails. 3' of carpet also at Home Depot for $3.17 a foot. We packed the box with 2 Infinty Perfects. Mine are 12.1D and his are 12.1. It Slams! It made his Q-Logic box seem like cardboard. The box is just over 1 cubic foot per sub, But has excellent results.

Bronze Member
Username: Audiophile

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 38
But you have to consider that the box isn't tuned...

Post Number: 5
Tuned as in per Car? That would make really good sense. Can this be acheived with some poly fill?
I can build of heck of a box if I know what to build. Shoot me a suggestion and if you strongly belive it will make a difference, then I will damn sure try.
I am driving a 99 honda Accord.
I did not get the results I wanted with my box. But my buddy is WOW. My guess is he is at 135 - 140. And I am at 127 - 130.

Bronze Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 47
Not per car, but per sub. A sub will produce different bass depending on how it's box is tuned.

I don't know too much about all of this though, page Glass and ask him.

make a topic like

GLASSWOLF: Audiophile told me to page you about box tuning

We've been talking quite a bit in a topic of mine, he knows who I am.

Username: Grantley

North Canton, Ohio

Post Number: 8
Infinity Perfects, regardless if they're an SVC or DVC, sound the best in a sealed box. They're known for the best SQ in an affordable price range and I built a box out of 3/4" MDF (You'll want 3/4") 27 ¾" X 14 ½" X 12 ½". With the bracing I did, it brings it to 2.10 Cu Ft shared airspace. The displacement of the 2 subs brings it to 2.03 Cu Ft. I hit in the ballpark of 138 dB with an MTX 6500D. I didn't put a divider in but I stuffed the crap outta this box and the sound deepened so well! I have a pair of Perfect 12's that I want to get rid of along with this box 'cause I can't fit 12's in my new vehicle. I've been the proud owner of those subs and have sworn by them for as long as I've owned them. I've had Kicker, Ground Zero, the Infinity Perfects, and now I'm looking into Image Dynamics. Glasswolf is known for being the most knowledgable that I've read from in this forum. Box cost me $50 to build, including the caulk, stuffing, and speaker terminal. It's for sale if you're interested, but it's heavy! Somewhere around 60 lbs.

Post Number: 8
Hey Grantley, jump to this topic and tell me what ya think please. Any help is great.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/68223.html

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 779
Tuning is for ported boxes, and is more complicated. The size of a sealed box is what determines how a sub will perform, in the case of the Kappa Perfect 12", 1.0 cu ft. is the optimum. Birch Plywood is nice, very good material. Chris, you're right with that box, very good job.

North Canton, Ohio

Post Number: 9
Your box sounds tight enough to trap anything in it you want! Birch plywood is expensive, isn't it? Congrats to you!
As far as the 'clapping' sound... I ran across your post a lil while back when I was just browsing the forum and I was mystified. So now the questions I'm thinking... at this point are you letting them break in now? When they were brand new did you really feed a ton of power to them or moderate and what kind of music do listen to? Mainly asking cuz 3 6 Mafia is a little harder on the subs staright outta the plastic than Dire Straits or the Beach Boys LOL.
Is it a metallic sounding noise like if you were to tap your fingernails on the dust cone? It kinda sounds like they may have been hyperextending their xMax (excursion) like if you were doing a test tone. But then again, the voice coil wouldn't allow that to happen that frequently... and Infinity's are built tougher than that *hmmm*

Bronze Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 74
Well, I can answer that, too. I have some DVC Kappa's, and they do the same. It does sound like tapping a fingernail on the cone.! I hadnt thought of the excursion....it sounds like someone's holding a pen over the cone while its moving...I could record it if you want me too-lol.

Bronze Member

North Canton, Ohio

Post Number: 11
Chris, I hate to even ask this cuz it's like running thru the troubleshooting list in you manual that your home theather receiver gives you "No sound - is it plugged in?" type stuff. I'm actually just starting to get a handle on DVC subs (I've always had SVC) so I'm learning. Do you have both voice coils powered? I just thought of that when I laid down in bed. If you don't that could be it cuz one voice coil would be working as it should be and then slapping the other one for being so lazy, thus making a sound. I don't want to insult your intelligence and I'm sure that you do have them wired correctly, I just wanna get down to the prob so you don't have to run and get new babies!

Bronze Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 75
Well, Can I answer here too? I have mine wired in parallel! 2ohms ^_^ (thats a yes)

Bronze Member

North Canton, Ohio

Post Number: 12
Heck ya man, sorry didn't mean to be so exclusive. Crud, that rules the no hookup theory out. I'm assuming you have dual 2 ohm VC's?

"Like a pen being held in front of the woofer..."

Man, that doesn't sound normal. The subs aren't working backwards are they? Like moving in when they should be going out?

Bronze Member

North Canton, Ohio

Post Number: 13
I pulled this from a site in the UK after doing a quick search... I feel bad I can't help beyond here if this is the case.

"Excursion explained
There is another issue of excursion which is commonly misunderstood, a subwoofer has a mechanical limit which it can not exceed without mechanical damage.

This is the greatest factor in sound pressure level as cone area times excursion is the controlling factor for high pressure levels.

When a typical subwoofer system reaches its mechanical limits this is commonly heard as a sharp clapping or clicking sound and that is the voice coil making contact with it's magnetic plate, this will deform and damage the system irreparably."

http://www.shadowworks.co.uk/Power%20Explained.htm

I hope this isn't the case, but I'm not ruling it out.

Post Number: 9
I am running them in paralell. Putting a 1 ohm load on my amp. that does not sound to promising of what I read on that sight Grantley. But you also stated that the Perfects should not allow that to happen. I thaught so to. I originaly ran the speakers in series to allow them to break in. but now they are in parallel. Which would mean that they are getting much more power. My amp is rated 600 watts. But those of us who have been in the game understand that old school power rating is no joke. And on the same note. The perfects are rated at 350 RMS per speaker. And thats gotta be an under rated RMS.. Who knows. I appreciate all the help you guys are bringing. Thanks.

Post Number: 10
Also let me add. I have tried relocating the box to a diagnol position in my truck. Facing the speakers towards the back driver side tail ligh on an angle. AND WOW. I cannot believe how bad my car felt. That was some serious bass. Nice deep lows and mind shattering at about 65 - 75 htz. Enough bass to make my eyebvalls vibrate while driving down the road. But whenI put the box in the appropriate spot in my trunk to preserve space is when they play at nice listening volumes I just did this the other day to discover this.

Bronze Member
Username: Insearchofbass

hi i saw this post and just wanted to comment it does sound like you are clipping your amplifier when you are driving the subs or it could be over excursion. How much power are you giving the infinitys and how much do they handle rms? what kind of amplifier?

thanks,

in search of bass

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
i appologive i see you answered my questions already but i do stand by suspected problems.

thanks,

in search of bass

Bronze Member

The amp is a digital, it does not clip. My head unit however can. But I have the gain up to 1/2 notch on the amp and 1/2 volume at the head unit and if the frequncy is right, TAP TAP TAP.
Although, I figured the "PERFECTS" where not supposed to bew able to over excurd like that. Hmmm!?!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
cris i hate to bring you bad news but your subs are over driving if you dont stop this you will damage them. I had this same issue with an audiobahn immortal quad vioce coil 12 it was rated 2000 rms but i only had 1500 rms going to it. You said right frequency i bet its the low ones. let me know. you could do a test tone cd and see which you could borrow and burn to cd from file sharing site.

thanks,

in search of bass

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 956
chris..

"Also let me add. I have tried relocating the box to a diagnol position in my truck. Facing the speakers towards the back driver side tail ligh on an angle. AND WOW. I cannot believe how bad my car felt. That was some serious bass. Nice deep lows and mind shattering at about 65 - 75 htz. Enough bass to make my eyebvalls vibrate while driving down the road. But whenI put the box in the appropriate spot in my trunk to preserve space is when they play at nice listening volumes I just did this the other day to discover this."

you know why? because when you have them facing straight back, theres stand wave reflection and this cancels the sine wave being reflected by a new sine wave created by the subwoofer, cancels the noise in simple terms...

by angling the box, you minimized this and have it firing at a sloped object, and instead of being reflected straight back at the subwoofer itself, its going to your seat or past

just thought id let you know why it was so much louder :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
thanks its bacon that really helped me understand why my brothers old pyle 12s sealed hit so hard with 320 watts rms in an 89 volkswagen getta 136.5 db with madonna vogue not too shabby and they were sealed in an angled box in the trunk. For years i was scratching my head.

thanks,

in search of bass

thanks,

in search of bass
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us