Subwoofer Audio Taper Help

Username: Blee

Post Number: 1
After searching the forum I couldn't find an answer, so perhaps there is no solution - but here is my question:

I'm building a low-budget (I have no money) dual chamber subwoofer box for my F250 with two 6.5" subwoofer speakers (I got free). I plan to drive each speaker by bridging both channels on a two channel 65W existing amp - (per the Rocksford Fosgate 2600X manual).

I plan to wire a 6.6mH inductor (per the manual) in series for each speaker to limit the highs. ($12 each!!)

Question: I would like to control the volume for both speakers (at the same time) by using a audio taper (potentiometer) mounted on the sub box and wired after the amp. (not pre-amp)

I found lots of volume controls for pre amp signal, but not sure if they will work post amp.

Can anyone help me select the correct value and ratings if possible? I would like to use a dual channel slide pot if possible.

Any vendors or part numbers would also be great. I've attached a rough schematic of my work. I have great high and mids comming from my front and rear speakers (5" punch's & tweets front and rear - with a Rocksford Fosgate crossover box -- old school I know) but I would like a bit more bass. Nothing thumping just a rich sound.

Thanks in advance..

Upload

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22218
Question, why would you want to control the volume to the subs AFTER the amp?

Also, 6.5's will deliver bass, just not very low freqs. That's not much power to work with either.

For me anyway that's a confusing diagram. (Old man). You sure about the ohm loads?

Post Number: 2
I got the speaker wiring from Crutchfield - I might need to the tone the bass down if it overpowers - perhaps not. I just wont have any control except at the head unit (Bass +/-).

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wir ing/1DVC_2-ohm_2ch.jpg

My Amp manual also shows the bridged hook up - (180W per speaker) but not the dual coil speaker wiring along with the 6.6mH inductor wiring. If I have anything wrong - please let me know - I only have the weekends to work on it and I would like to mount the slider before I carpet the box.

I hooked up the subs free air without the inductor and got some good bass (but along with a bit of mid range)

I wish I had room (and $$) for another amp and some 10" or 12" woofers. Perhaps in another life or if I win the lottery. Right now $$ are tight and this old man has a long commute and a hungry table at dinner time..

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7896
use a pac audio LC-1 on you rca. that will u to control the subs volume. i sell quite a few of those and the work great.

Post Number: 3
Unfortunatly for me, the LC-1's are for pre-amp (RCA) signals.

I'll be wiring my subwoofer from the same amp the drives by mids and tweets so I can't adjust the line level prior to the amp.

Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us