ReJL w3 or RE se?

Bronze Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 41
hi guys im looking to help a friend build a system and he has given me these choices and im not sure what to recommend. Were looking at either a Re sex the newer se model or a jl w3 v3.. the re can handle 600 watts rms, and the jl can handle 500 watts rms.. will be ran off 500 watts at 4 ohms with an alpine amp. both can be had for the same price. I like the Re, but it really looks like jl has been stepping it up. The things to look for is. sq of course, dont want sloppy bass. durability... i know jl subs last forever. what about re? and output. I think the re will win in this, basically because it can be placed in a bigger box, while jl wants you to use smaller boxes. and the box will be ported, around 37 hz.. perfect for a 12 with that power in my opinion.
i want to hear from actual experience. I have had alot of subs, but they have all been higher end. like fi btl, dd 3512, memphis mojos, rockford t2s... so i really have no experience with these subs.
thanks guys

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 289
I'd recommend the JL.

Silver Member
Username: 813thumper

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 156
The only reason I would recommend JL over the REX sub is because when US Amps bought out RE their subs went to crap.. The W3 has excellent SQ. I would know.. I had 2 13W3's and they SLAMMED in a large ported box while sounding amazing. If you could find an older model SE 12 I would recommend that over both. Right now I have a single older model SE 10 and it has awesome output and good SQ. Do some searching on some forums to see if you can get a hold of some of the older models.

Bronze Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 43
wow i thought the new REs were better, they make them sound that way anyways, as they say they gave them a few small improvements like a magnet cover, and flat wind voice coils and a slightly larger magnet.
but does the older SE model compare to the jl in sound quality? Are do you recommend it just because of the output?
and i would want my friend to buy brand new because of a warranty and just the fact knowing its new, you dont really know what someone else has done with their sub.. they might have put too much power to it, and started slowly ruining the coils, or clipped it.. or just misuse. you know what i mean

Silver Member
Username: 813thumper

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 157
The older model SE's have excellent SQ very comparable to the JL's. JL's are just gonna kick you in the butt with their pricing. They make you think that you are paying for a better woofer than all the rest of the companies when really youre not. As far as warranty goes, if you find someone that has taken care of their stuff and you know how to set everything up properly then it shouldnt be a problem. Buying used is very nice on the wallet and sometimes you can find ppl that will cut you deals. Just look around and you can find alot of stuff.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us