2 8w7s

Username: Jay_boy

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 1
I just ordered 2 8w7s, a sealed box (jl specs) powered by a jl hd 750. I'm looking for HARD punch without missing beats. Is this going to work? What can I expect?

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 286
The 8w7s in a sealed box on that amount of power should hit nicely. I think you'll be rather surprised at the output from those little woofers.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15981
havent heard those subs b4 & im not sure if it will sound loud to u since sealed boxes are for more accuracy than loud though sealed can get fairly loud ...

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 277
okay..... you already ordered those and you're asking us if that was a good choice after the fact?

/thread

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 3
Yes, after the fact. I am very anxious. It feels like xmas so bear with me. I'm just curious if someone already knows what this will sound like. 8s and sealed should produce HARD hits. right? 8w7 with 750 rms should be loud enough but very hard and accurate?

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 4
Also, how come multiple small speakers still create monster bass. example bose 901 were 9 little speakers with big bass. Will having two 8w7 also produce better bass than just one? and in what way?

Silver Member

Post Number: 281
Not so much hard as accurate. sealed is all about accuracy and SQ.

the two 8s will have more cone area than a single 10 so thus, they'll be louder.

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 5
how is excursion of one speaker compared to that of multiple speakers. ex. if my Xmax of 8w7 is .75 and I have two, is it doubled to be more that that of a 13w7 which is 1.25?

Silver Member

Post Number: 283
to a point because the total SPL is directly affected by both excursion and cone area.

i'm not an expert, but i think that sounds right lol

http://www.bcae1.com/speaker.htm

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 287
The w7s are designed to have more excursion than your average woofer of equal size. How hard they hit is going to depend on the size of your enclosure, that's why custom enclosures are better than pre-made, because then you can design it to meet your expectations. I still say you'll be happy but if you wanted them to be any louder, a custom ported enclosure would be the way to go. As people have stated, sealed is more for SQ. w7s are geared toward SQ so they'll do well in a sealed enclosure. If you find yourself wanting a little more out of them though, ported will do it for you. What kind of vehicle are they going in?

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 288
Cool video of 8w7s bumpin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDEHWR3xd7o

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 6
Great feedback. Thank all of you. 2009 elantra. I can change the enclosure later if necessary. it was $140. Not a biggie. I just don't like the inaccurate rumble. I like tight and snappy. We will see in a couple of weeks after install and break in period.

Any other feedback or info will be appreciated. It's a huge investment that I have been waiting many years to do. Hope I haven't blown it. I don't think so.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 290
You could have also went with a 10w7 in a custom ported enclosure. Would of maybe been a little cheaper and sounded just as good. If you put those 2 8w7s in a ported enclosure though they will slam just the same. Should sound good.

Platinum Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10767
as long as you take your time and build a QUALITY enclosure you will be very happy with your set-up. One of my best friends has the exact same set-up in his pick-up and it sounds very nice. Highly accurate and extremely punchy. Good luck man! keep us posted.

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 7
Nice to hear from someone who has actually heard the same system. The sealed enclosure was purchased from a guy through ebay that makes the box to JL specs for $110 plus shipping. He is on Long Island.

I'm just waiting for the amp to come in. I appreciate the feedback and I will let you know how it sounds.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us