Install suggestions wanted.

Username: Wax

Post Number: 1
Hi folks,

This is my first post here. I'm currently chewing on the best way to do an install in my vehicle. I own a 98' Subaru Forester L series.

My largest concern right now is power. Followed my speaker selection. I haven't actually installed anything yet, seems like a waste of time if the power isnt there.

I plan in installing two PPI art series amps, an A600.2, and an A404.2. I also have a JL 500/1 laying around.

My plan is to run the high's/mids off the A404, the mid/low off the A600, and the subwoofer off the 500/1. Though i'm not sure if the A600 would be a better choice, and scrap the JL.

The car has a stock alternator in it, rated at 85 amps (according to the dealership). My thoughts were to buy a yellow top deep cycle battery for the back and run it off an isolater for when I have the ignition off. And I plan on using 1/0 gauge from the ignition battery to the -chassis, -motor, and +alternator, as well as for my power wire to the rear of the vehicle, and all the grounds. Does this seem sound?

Also, I want to mantain the functionality of the vehicle. So Im probably going to go with a single sub. I am considering an IDmax12 v3, or an Adire Bhrama 12. They seem to be fairly good for SQ as well as SPL. Is anyone familier with these?

Another issue i'm facing is that I will need to make some custom panels of some sort in the rear. What is the best material to use? ABS plastics? or should I consider fiberglass? I'm not in a real big hurry to cram this equipment in so time isnt really a problem.

Thanks in advance,
Wax~

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 640
PPI Art series are terrific amplifiers. What I would do is Bridge the A404.2 to give 200RMS at 4 ohms. You don't seem to be objecting fiberglass (you need fiberglass, not plastic) work or a project, so I'd get a great set of components such as the Dynaudio System 360, which is perfect at 200RMS. Put the 8" midbass in the door (it will take some work) and the mid and tweeter in kick panel enclosures. I wouldn't worry about rear speakers as they don't have a lot (if any) benefit to the soundstage of the system, they pull away from the front soundstage and require tuning to not do so. Your hearing is subjective, though, the Dynaudio's are soft, accurate, and neutral, no harsh tweeters or extreme midbass kick in them, you can expect smooth range and flat response, no overemphasis on any range, everything is accurate. I would then run the sub off either the 600.2. I'd keep the JL amp just for safe reason in case something happens. Both the Adire Brahma and ID Max are fantastic subs, great SQ and SPL, the Brahma will probably work better with the wattage you're going to feed it. The battery seems sound, 1/0 guage will be more than enough. The Dynaudios, Art series amps, and Brahma would be a fantastic combination for SQ. You won't want to leave your car after it's all over with.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 641
By the way, I meant 200W RMSx2. With the 600.2, Bridge it, wire the Brahma in series, and you'll get 600x1 into the Brahma.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the advice.

Im slowly plugging away at this. Amazingly there is very little wasted space in the Foresters. Finding good mounting locations without taking away the cars functionality has been pretty rough. I've ended up going to a salvage yard to buy some rear interior panels so I dont damage the stock ones.

I have to chew on putting it all, the A404, in my front soundstage, though I do really like the sound of putting 8" mids in the doors. It's a small SUV, and I tend to have a lot of passengers. I was thinking of doing MB Quart reference 4" 2-ways in the back, and 6 1/2 componants in front. (trying to retain a nearly stock look up front) And then running 50 watts to each.

You mentioned tuning if I was to use all four. I have some AudioControl 3xs crossovers now for the vehicle. What equipment would I want to add in to balance it out?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 753
As far as tuning, I meant for front soundstage purposes, I was referring to using a bandpass crossover for the rears so that they don't pull the detail from the fronts, basically letting them handle the midbass and low midrange region. Since you carry a lot of passengers, it's better to run the rear speakers full range, and when you want the best soundstage, just fade out the rears. 50W will be kinda weak for components, I mean you can find components that do well, I just prefer running more power since the dynamics will be better and you'll have a stronger front soundstage. I think from your position in the vehicle it would sound better with the 3-way set and a single sub, but your rear passengers won't thank you for it, so you can do the speakers you listed, especially you want to keep a stock appearance.

Post Number: 3
What if I was to run 4 ohm speakers in the rear, at 50 watts to the pair. And then run my fronts at 2 ohms, which would feed them 100 watts.

Is it a good/bad/unknown idea to run fronts and rears at different ohm loads off of a 4 channel amp?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us