W7 vs.....

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 3235
I'm looking into upgrading a little. I got rid of my 15" tc3000 and now i miss it haha. I have a 500/1 and a 300/4 and i'm NOT changing my amps, so I have about 500 rms at 1.5-4 ohms. I'm really leaning toward a 12w7 or a 10w7, most likely the 10. What I am wondering (even tho i used to hate this question) is how will a ported 10w7 compare to my current sealed 12" diamond d3 in output. I love the sq of the d3, but i need more output.

Or what is a similar sub that could have decent output with great sq AND be that efficient on just 500 watts. I am pretty set on a w7, but i'm open for opinions.

and please, please don't post JL sucks or JL is overpriced because I am not a beginner. I know what I like and JL makes solid, high quality products. Maybe expensive, but you get what you pay for. No type r's, no aq sd's, or whatever the cheap 400-600 rms sub thats out right now.

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 11806
To give my opinion on it Cal, I've heard a 10 W7 off a 500/1 in a JL HO box and it was weak. And when I say weak, I mean it was very weak. I believe you drive a Jeep Cherokee or something like that and I heard that sub/amp/box combo in a Xterra which is close to your car type. I was very unimpressed with it.

Just my .02 cents on it

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 3292
I know you don't want to hear it, but JL is not a case of "you get what you pay for" lol

I know subs that are less than half the price of a "comparible" JL sub that will perform just as well, if not better.

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Twp., MI United States

Post Number: 1349
I got a 12" idmax d4 v2 I would probably let it go for around $170+Shipping (negotiable). Holler at me if interested.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 277
If you drive a jeep, I'd say get a second 500/1 (cheaper than buying a 1000/1) and go with the 12 w7 in a slot ported box.

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 3236
Tatonka, what'd you have in mind? What sub would you suggest that could outperform a w7 on a 500 watts?

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 279
I've heard the Xcon is a comparable woofer.

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1932
get a kappa perfect 12 you will be very impressed. friend of mine has 2 in a civic off 1000 rms (i sold them to him) and it bangs really hard and sounds super clean.

I swear by these subs. If i had the room id run a bunch of them but they dont quite make enough output for me with just 2 on 1000 watts and 2 is all i can fit in my trunk. they did manage to snap my rear view mirror ball joint casting tho.

heres a few vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTfylocb3WQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeGFL7D0ijg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atf2VUxovIQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfwPgko8SqI&feature=related

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10963
I have always liked those infinity perfects, the subs anyway, their speakers are another story.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13394
The perfects are nice but wont hold a candle to that idmax 12 being offered.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 3295

quote:

Tatonka, what'd you have in mind? What sub would you suggest that could outperform a w7 on a 500 watts?

A DD1500 series sub in the correct install will walk over the w7

Bronze Member
Username: Vertexaudio

Post Number: 20
How bout another TC-3000 15"? :-)

I've got one that I'll let go of

Platinum Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10750
ID max ftw:-) unlike the guys up top I really like the w7's. I think the price is ludacris but they do sound pretty good. and do get loud(atleast the 20 or 30 or so I have heard).

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 3237
i had a kappa perfect 12 and it was great, but i really think its on roughly the same level as the d3. will a dd 1500 have decent sq. yea sorry guys, i just don't want another 15 and i don't wanna do anymore than 500 watts for bass.

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 3238
do w6v2's get loud? the only application i ever heard was triple 12" w6v2's in a caddy sts and it banged realll hard, but that was 3 12's not one. i only want one sub

Platinum Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10752
they are geared more toward sq, in the right enclosure they will get loud though.

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 3239
idmax's need about 1000 watts rms.

i'm liking the dd1500. tatonka, you guys sell dd right? what would a 12" dual 4 ohm dd1500 run?

Platinum Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10753
1000 watts in a small small sealed enclosure! a 500/1 will move it nicely in a larger enclosure.

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 3240
RE SE 12"
12" DD 1500
Boston Acoustics G5 12"
JL W6 12"
JL W7 10" High Output Box

Which sub would give me the best mix of output as well as sound quality? What application of that sub would offer the best output/sq?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1934
if it were me id look at subs under 500 rms (300-400). its always good practice to have head room with your amp. most subs will take more than rated anyways and will sound better doing so. at least all of MY experiences have led me to this conclusion.

Platinum Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10755
I would go g5 or w7

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 3241
well i mean the 500/1 puts out around 600 rms at 14 volts.

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2058
i would go with duckas idmax. cant beat that price

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 228
@ Ducka, You willing to go $170 shipped on the idmax?

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

NC Http://com4....

Post Number: 938
i thought i saw where somebody tested their 500/1 and it did like 712 clean watts 1.5-4ohms not sure on the exact number i want to say 712 though i had a 500/1 it was a strong amp wish i wouldnt had sold it

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

NC Http://com4....

Post Number: 939
I've heard alot of good about these JBL's and your amp is perfect for their weird impedence

http://www.woofersetc.com/p2052/W12GTi-MKII--JBL-12"-4000-Watt-Competition-Subwoofer.htm

Gold Member

Post Number: 1352
I dont wanna jack this thread, so anyone interested in said IDMAX e-mail me at k_duckwitz@yahoo(dot)com

Also I have heard that many people run the IDMAX on less than 1000wrms and still get good output.

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1443
I would personally go for a 12w7 over a 10w7. I have a 10w7 with the HO box and my 500/1v2 literally walks all over it. Although there are many subs that may share or surpass the quality of the w7 for the same price or less, I still think its an excellent sub. They sound great and get pretty loud considering the small amount of power they take.

Silver Member

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 281
If you get a w7 have a custom slot ported enclosure built for it.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5188
I had a single 12 w6 in a van ported doing 136-137 legal.
Ive seen a single ported w7 12 do a 140 off 1000.1

I suggest the 12 w7 ported with a good box. btw, make the box bigger then JL specs.
If it calls for 2 cft, make it 3..

Currently doing a 142 off 2-13w6's with a aq2200, with a 30hz tuned box.
I would go with the 13 w7, but that funky ohm load would make me have to cahnge amps.

Silver Member
Username: Kdryden

Post Number: 111
"1000 watts in a small small sealed enclosure! a 500/1 will move it nicely in a larger enclosure"

Why???

Bronze Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 39
go with an re sub. its cheaper than jl and will have good output and sq.

or even go with an alpine type x.. they have amazing sq and good output too.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1355
Hey Cal, You got Mail.

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

SoCal

Post Number: 3085
I'm willing to trade a 15 SE for that IDmax

Silver Member
Username: Poprocks

Post Number: 305
JBL W12GTi MKII

These subs dont get the credit they deserve, great sub here.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1946
^^^ might go in my next build. only im concerned with them handling 3000 rms each ;)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1363
no thanks lowlife

Username: Jay_boy

Rochester, NY Usa

Post Number: 10
I would go with a 12w7 over the 10w7. Ported or sealed, it will be nice and the amp you have will do well. It just seems that if you go with less than 12s, better to have 2 of them. My completely amateur opinion so don't slam me for it people. lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us